Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Thinking of gutting precats on 2000 vette.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of gutting precats on 2000 vette.

I recently bought this car & it has the stock exhaust on it. Man this car is way to quiet. Anyways I was thinking of gutting the precats this weekend. I have seen some pictures of what they look like inside & it looks very restrictive. So is it worth doing? Has anyone done it to theirs & if so did it help much? I plan on getting a different exhaust but that won’t be till later next year 2006.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Restricted User

IMO, it's not worth the trouble on a stock motor. You will possibly see a gain of 5-10hp...if that. The time involved gutting the cats vs. the gain voids the idea in my mind. IF you want sound, buy some dumps and have someone weld them on. Also, depending on where you live, you risk failing the sniffer test with gutted cats. Welcome to the C5 club!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not worth is in my opinion either.
Get headers with an x-pipe for some good gains.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I planned on an X pipe & new exhaust back. Headers later on maybe. Or reverse the order not sure. But I wont have the money to spend till later maybe by early to mid 2006. Thats why I was thinking this would be something to do in the mean time & its free. Plus I was going to fix the skip shift while I was under there. Its such a pain to jack the car up compared to my Camaro. Thats what really is keeping me from have already done it lol. Plus the limited space in the shop I cant really drive it up on something in there because of limited space but I could jack it up stationary. But I cant do it with this one. Thanks for the replies
Old 12-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Restricted User

Do NOT jack up your car without the proper knowledge of where to jack it. You can ruin multiple things. I suggest ramps and then use jack stands if you're new to C5's.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that’s how I changed the oil was using ramps. I did this outside the shop on the downward sloped entrance pad. So when it was up on the ramps the car was actually level. This also made more of a gap to get underneath to change the oil & filter. I just don’t have room inside the shop (to many customers cars) to pull it in then drive it up on ramps. And it’s to cold outside to try it. And I have also read the how-to's on jacking. Thanks for all your help & warnings.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I went out and cut boards so I can jack up mine.
Ill see if i can dig up the size of the boards for you if your interested.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Removal of the pup cats is worth 3 hp at the motor, according to GM. For a 2000 car its is worth 5 hp at the motor.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best bet...Long tubes brother. I know there not cheap man but, its your best bet.

We did gut my cats on my car.

Only cause I work at a shop, and we had/have all the tools.

What we did is REMOVE the factory H pipe. We cut a three corner square in the cat itself, pryed it open, and removed all the crap out of there. Then gentley bent it back in place. And made a nice quick weld.

We did it on the top of the cat, so you couldn't see it from the bottom.

It did seem to make decent power....noticbly anyways.

Felt like more then a few horsepower.

The thing is, once you remove them, your gonna need a tune anyways...or you can always get 02 sims.....

....if you can.....get yourself some long tubes and X pipe. Not cheap but, more then worth it.

...and you'll still need a tune.

j
Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Since it sounds like your more into this for the sound,not power.
I have no pre cats on my 99,i hollowed out my 2 main cats (had to use o2 simulators after that),have a b&b cat back,it's louder but the car is still to quiet for me.It does sound like a muscle car though,deep throaty sound.I am adding longtubes in feb,eliminate the hollow cats,then a nice cam a couple months later.
If you gut your cats,make sure you get all the crap out,i had to take the mid section out again,i left a few chunks in the cats,and had the marble in the coffee can rattle that you could here a outside the car.

Quick Reply: Thinking of gutting precats on 2000 vette.