Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Z06 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 worth it?

I'm thinking about buying a C5 vette. I want to put long tube headers and a SC from A&A corvette. Would it be worth the money to buy a Z06 or just a regular C5 since I'll be putting mods on anyway?
Thanks
Jerrad
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Z06 is worth it.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Z06...is always gonna be the best bang for the buck.

If your on more of a budget,....find yourself a 99 to 00 fixed roof corvette. Same body style as the Z06...six speed only....light.....minus the shocks...LS6 pieces....shorter gears in the trans(1-3)...exhaust....etc etc.

Z06's nowAdays are well worth it, and easy to find.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Too many options , you don't get with the ZO6 or FRC, FRC was a loss leader model that sold for a msrp under $40,000. The ZO6 was a hot motored version of the same car. No sport seats, serious loss of aerodynamics with the cutoff roofline. why pay a 5k premium for a ZO6, as even a small cammed coupe will out perform it.The fastest C5s are coupes with A-4s, with SC,turbos or nitrous.Don't believe me click on sponsor TEA and check out Brian Tooleys white coupe.Nine second car and he left the A/C and stereo in it.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Get the Z06 you won't regret it, Better heads, cam, exhaust, trans, rear end etc etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lost
Too many options , you don't get with the ZO6 or FRC, FRC was a loss leader model that sold for a msrp under $40,000. The ZO6 was a hot motored version of the same car. No sport seats, serious loss of aerodynamics with the cutoff roofline. why pay a 5k premium for a ZO6, as even a small cammed coupe will out perform it.The fastest C5s are coupes with A-4s, with SC,turbos or nitrous.Don't believe me click on sponsor TEA and check out Brian Tooleys white coupe.Nine second car and he left the A/C and stereo in it.
Sorry but I think this is irrelevant. Most people aren't going to make they're car run 9s. And if you're just going to drive it around and enjoy it and occasionally race it. The z06 is a great car. Run 11s stock with some DRs and seat time. An A4 Coupe is going to be lucky to get in the 12s stock on DRs. There are basically stock Z06s with nitrous dry shots running 10s on DRs. If you're going to make a car run 9s you'll have to rebuild the trans anyway, no reason you couldn't throw in an auto if thats your intention. Z06 will still be lighter then any other bodystyle. LPE has a TT FRC that runs 9.50s with a 6-speed. No reason you can't make a 6 speed run good times its just harder on the rear end with slicks. If you're looking for a 9 second car an FBody is a much cheaper way to go.
Get the Z06 and enjoy it, its fast, quiet, handles and looks great. STOCK
Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

The original poster said he was going to mod it, I stand by my post, the money saved by going the C5 coupe route will easily make it faster than the ZO6, if he was going to leave it stock, then of course buy the ZO6
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerrad
I'm thinking about buying a C5 vette. I want to put long tube headers and a SC from A&A corvette. Would it be worth the money to buy a Z06 or just a regular C5 since I'll be putting mods on anyway?
Thanks
Jerrad
If you buy the Z06 would you mod it also?
If you will be modding both cars (identical mods) and are looking for maximum performance the Z06 is the better choice. If you are looking for some of the comforts described in one of the other posts buy the base coupe.
As for the aerodynamical inefficiency of the Z06 -- the Z06 is in fact less aerodynamic than the coupe but will still bang off a raised 7000 rpm rev limiter in 5th gear without a single engine modification so I seriously doubt the small aerodynamic disparity will ever be an issue.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

The Z06 will still be faster mod for mod, the LS6 heads will make more power than LS1 heads if you go cam only, the Ti Catback will save you some cash if you get a header/xpipe system, I seriously doubt the .32 Drag Coef versus .30 is really going to make a difference if you're not a landspeed racer.

But yeah six speeds are slow, especially this one :
http://www.lingenfelter.com/img/press/Kordis6spdtt.mpeg
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Go with the regular C5 if you're gonna be modding, because of the difference in insurance rates.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your going to supercharge? I'd say go for the coupe or the 2000 C5 FRC (or 1999)

I'd recommend finding a car with active handling just as a safe guard. IMO

Good luck.

Get the Z06 if you want the ultimate road racer...as I believe it is superior. Just if your modding anyway...WTF..

Have fun.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always buy the newest car in the best condition you can afford. With that said if you were to give us a budget number then we could better answer your question. Do you plan to do any road courses or just 1/4mi? These questions need to be answered in order for you to be happy with your purchase. I think Lost's comments are off base. With that thinking buy a Mustang and mod it. Anything can be made to run faster. The base C5 is a great car. The C5Z is even greater.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

c5 z51 package will get you closer to zo6 handling for Ive see 97 98 in the mid teens, headers cat back intake cold air, custom program and your putting down more RWHP than a zo6, I put down 356 hp 367 tq where I dynoed they said that stock zo6 would put down around 345, zo6 100lb lighter and better gearing in tranny with m12 but you loose storage, stereo sound with FRC and cant go topless on those hot summer days.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Ive seen several stock z06s put down 360+rwhp. 345 is a weak z06 or a 2001. Hell my 2000 Coupe with just a k&n drop in put down 320rwhp sae.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people seem to think the Z is just a FRC with the LS6 in it. First off this is wrong. Second, the upgrades that the LS6 has over the LS1 is extreme. Like the LT4 over the LT1. Both are great motors but one is better. Try this thought out, ask yourself why the SCCA T1 division is dominated by the C5Z? Not the C5, not the C6 Z51 but the C5 Z06. Dollar for dollar it is the best bang for buck car on the market still. I have been lucky to own previous Corvettes including a ZR1 before this. Nothing compares to this one (except for the new C6 Z). And I like nothing better than lapping Porsches at the track with a cheaper car. Can you make a base C5 better? Yes, but for less money you could start off with a better platform. There are some real good deals out there in the mid to high $20k's. I would rather do that than to spend $17k on a 97-98 coupe and spend $10k more to get even with the Z's all around performance.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

"If you buy the Z06 would you mod it also?"
Yes. I basically want a low 11second car that can be drivin almost daily.

"With that said if you were to give us a budget number then we could better answer your question. Do you plan to do any road courses or just 1/4mi?" I have know idea on a budget yet.(still have some school left in me before I get to spend some money) I would only worry about 1/4 mile.
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrad
Thanks
Jerrad
Although I genuinly prefer the look of the regular C5 fastback.

i would say go for the Z06, because you know it has all the go faster options on it.

A regular C5 may or may nothave the z51 package and other options. And it gets a real pain trying to find out from the seller, because often they just don't.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually the best way to go...since you know you want a supercharged car..?

Go over to www.corvetteforum.com for sale section and just make offers on corvette C5's with superchargers...

Basically you get a supercharged car for the price of a nice clean C5 (without a supercharger or very few dollars extra)

With the C6 Z06 out? The guys who had to have a high power supercharged Corvette are selling their babied and modified S/C Corvettes to buy the new C6 Zo6's...

This would be my suggestion on what to buy..(it doesn't really matter if its a C5 coupe...or C5 Z06...as long as its modified and well cared for)

You can do a search on the owner in the forum to see if he had any isssues during ownership and how he cared for the car.

Thats what I would do anyway.

Good luck..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
Actually the best way to go...since you know you want a supercharged car..?

Go over to www.corvetteforum.com for sale section and just make offers on corvette C5's with superchargers...

Basically you get a supercharged car for the price of a nice clean C5 (without a supercharger or very few dollars extra)

With the C6 Z06 out? The guys who had to have a high power supercharged Corvette are selling their babied and modified S/C Corvettes to buy the new C6 Zo6's...

This would be my suggestion on what to buy..(it doesn't really matter if its a C5 coupe...or C5 Z06...as long as its modified and well cared for)

You can do a search on the owner in the forum to see if he had any isssues during ownership and how he cared for the car.

Thats what I would do anyway.

Good luck..

LOL. I like that. "babied and modified"

Just like my car.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Haha like the z06 for sale, 'World's fastest z06' 'Never raced or driven in the rain'
He was joking or course.

Quick Reply: Z06 worth it?