Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need some help on gettin my car to hookup but cant find it elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some help on gettin my car to hookup but cant find it elsewhere

I am thinkin about getting an 86-88 rx7 and putting a LS1 in it. I am lookin at the RX7 because it had independent rear suspension, its light cheap, and the LS1 swap is well documented. So why am I in the corvette forum right? Well I couldent get any solid answers over at torquecentral.com on if using coilovers will make it hard to hookup. I figure there should be plenty of corvette guys running coilovers who are pushing 400,500, even 600 whp. As you know its very easy for the LS1 to make 400-500whp with a little nitrous, cam and heads. So thats what I will probably be doing because I want to drag race it some of the time. I will be able to put as large as 335 drag radials on it and thats what I will be running when I drag. But because its a competent handler I want to be able to bring it autocrossing or road racing the next weekend. Because I want to increase the handling limits of the car I was planning on getting a weld in cage and coilovers. I am concerned however that the stiff spring rate of the coilovers wont allow enough weight transfer to the back to get the car to hook up, making it one scary ride. That and its short wheelbase could make it very darty and very dangerous. I figure that even though the vette and the RX7 are much different cars the general idea of stiff fully independant suspension in a high HP car should result in similar driving charachteristics when it comes to drivability.

So please if you have coilovers, how did it effect the stability of your car under full throttle?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post in the conversion forum, many guys have done that switch, my friend Aram has one, it runs 7.5@91 in the 8th, all motor, pretty much bone stock ls1. On a 50 shot it did 7.2, I think he was cutting 1.6ish 60's. Stock suspension.

As far as handling, I believe there are a couple guys with the conversions that road race them, they might have some input. I doubt you would be able to run 335s without major body modifications though, I don't even know if 275s fit on the back without work.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sciff5
I am thinkin about getting an 86-88 rx7 and putting a LS1 in it. I am lookin at the RX7 because it had independent rear suspension, its light cheap, and the LS1 swap is well documented. So why am I in the corvette forum right? Well I couldent get any solid answers over at torquecentral.com on if using coilovers will make it hard to hookup. I figure there should be plenty of corvette guys running coilovers who are pushing 400,500, even 600 whp. As you know its very easy for the LS1 to make 400-500whp with a little nitrous, cam and heads. So thats what I will probably be doing because I want to drag race it some of the time. I will be able to put as large as 335 drag radials on it and thats what I will be running when I drag. But because its a competent handler I want to be able to bring it autocrossing or road racing the next weekend. Because I want to increase the handling limits of the car I was planning on getting a weld in cage and coilovers. I am concerned however that the stiff spring rate of the coilovers wont allow enough weight transfer to the back to get the car to hook up, making it one scary ride. That and its short wheelbase could make it very darty and very dangerous. I figure that even though the vette and the RX7 are much different cars the general idea of stiff fully independant suspension in a high HP car should result in similar driving charachteristics when it comes to drivability.

So please if you have coilovers, how did it effect the stability of your car under full throttle?
whats up josh i personally have coilovers on my car and it handles awesome wether it is on full throttle or in fast corners so i would recomend them
Marco
Old 02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Bullet 1
whats up josh i personally have coilovers on my car and it handles awesome wether it is on full throttle or in fast corners so i would recomend them
Marco

Hey marco. At first I was like how the hell does this guy know my name and than I saw your screen name and realized it was you. I didnt know you had coilovers. Your pushin like 400whp and you still have average tires. So I am guessing with drag radials you'de be all set.

To the other person who mentioned it would be hard to get 335s in there. I would be getting a widebody kit that accomidates up to either 315 or 335, whatever it is thats what I'de be lookin at.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sciff5
Hey marco. At first I was like how the hell does this guy know my name and than I saw your screen name and realized it was you. I didnt know you had coilovers. Your pushin like 400whp and you still have average tires. So I am guessing with drag radials you'de be all set.

To the other person who mentioned it would be hard to get 335s in there. I would be getting a widebody kit that accomidates up to either 315 or 335, whatever it is thats what I'de be lookin at.
yeah i also have 335 street tires but my car handles great and im pushin 400 for now
Old 02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Contact Brian Hinson.
www.hinsonsupercars.com

These guys know their cars (RX7 conversions and LS1's). They helped me with many aspects of my '00 coupe (tranny rebuild, tuning, sway bars, exhaust, etc...)

Quick Reply: Need some help on gettin my car to hookup but cant find it elsewhere