Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What would it take to a 02-03 Z06 to compate to a 71 Chevelle w/ a 572 crate

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would it take to a 02-03 Z06 to compate to a 71 Chevelle w/ a 572 crate

Long story here.. I met a new girl-friend (not dating.. Yet anyway) Anyways... Her dad has like 6 older GM muscle cars which greatly attracted me... Her brother took me out to the bar last night and we were talking cars. He acted like his car was the end all be all of fast muscle cars.. He put up a challenge even before he asked what i had. I told him that it would take some time, but I WILL win. Then, I asked what he had... A 1971 Chevelle SS 4 speed muncie with a fresh 572 GM crate engine.. I was in shock... I have some work to do here guys! I have to put this guy in his place! For those who dont know, I believe they have upwards of 650 ft lbs/Tq? It has some cheap tires 295-50-15 GT2 tires on the rear, so traction would be an issue, unless they'd switch them.

Questions is... What kind of HP is needed on an 02-03 Z06 to be able to put up a hell of a race, possibly win ALL the time against this monster? (please be reasonable) Thanks!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first thing I'd want to be sure of is does he actually have one of those 572's. It's not like they are highly affordable or anything. Second, can the guy drive? Third, even if he can drive, how are those tires going to handle the power?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 AM
9 Second Club

With old muscle cars you never know... one that looks and sounds mean could be a 14 sec car or an 11 sec car... It's hard to tell at first sight. But I would bet on a good night with a good driver the Z06 would atleast put up one hell of a fight... I'm a betting man.... without seeing his car I'd throw a couple hundred down I could take him with mine... The only way to find out is to run him... you'll find out real quick. On those tire's with that kind of tourqe he'd have a problem hooking up anywhere besides a well prepped track with a set of slicks... An exact hp number... thats impossible to give without knowing the car... Has he ever had it to the track.. and 1/4 times?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget a 71 chevelle isnt a light weight, he needs a big block, if he's got 4.11's he'll be toped out around 120, and thats if he can even get the power to the ground, if he runs you on slicks you might get beat, make him run you on street tires first of all, and I think a simple 150 shot would get you the win.., it will come down to what kind of race it is, street or strip or highway, get the n2o and maybe gutted cats ect.. or spend a butt load on cam/head package and bolt on's..
Old 03-16-2006, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Not knowing what gears he has is hard to say. I have a friend that just put a 500 horse 427 in his 68 camaro. He has a 4 speed and about a 3.73 gear. He runs on BFG drag radials and the car hauls. I am not sure what he runs yet, but we plan on lining up my Z06 against him. I run 11.7s right now with Et streets, stock gears, headers, F14 cam, and the usual bolt ons. My next two mods are going to be Gears and Dart heads. It should be a close race if you have some mods like mine. The car weights will play into the equations then.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did some math, if he's got 600 hp and weighs in at 3600lbs(no fiberglass fenders, no stripped interior) and you put a 150 shot and some bolt-on's on your car to get you to 550...

71 chevelle power:weight = 6.0

03 Z06 power:weight = 5.8

aerodynamics will come into play on the top end along w/tire pressure(low=more drag, so bump those fronts to 50lbs), and most importantly w/ manual cars is driver ability....

edit: but are you trying to beat him or hook up w/his sis., make the smart call and see where your goin w/the girl first, though she may look up to you if you put her brother in his place.... that's a tougher call than the race...
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The first thing I'd want to be sure of is does he actually have one of those 572's. It's not like they are highly affordable or anything. Second, can the guy drive? Third, even if he can drive, how are those tires going to handle the power?
I actually went to their place and saw the car among the other muscle cars they had. I couldnt believe it either!

Originally Posted by Assassin
edit: but are you trying to beat him or hook up w/his sis., make the smart call and see where your goin w/the girl first, though she may look up to you if you put her brother in his place.... that's a tougher call than the race...
I actually took what he was saying personally. His attitude made me wish I actually had a built car. It would be sweet to beat him, she'd be impressed too, but thats not the real reason for wanting to race.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'll have to get a little more info on the Chevelle. I know he doesnt race at the track with it. Its pretty much just a cruiser. I highly doubt he even has slicks for it just because it never goes to the track. Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Restricted User

I'm not sure I understand why you're saying Z06 when your sig. says Camaro. Are you buying one soon to compete with him?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

You may have your work cut out for you. There are two versions of the 572 of which I am aware. The 9.6:1 motor is rated at 620 hp (flywheel) and the 12:1 motor is rated at 720 hp (flywheel). If the Chevelle is setup correctly it could be a formidable opponent. It would probably be a low 11 to high 10 second car in the ¼. Without traction it’s probably a mid 12 second car. It might be a little difficult to drive because it is a four speed. It’s also going to tend to break a lot due to this fact.

To beat him you’ll need a decent H/C setup or an ESC supercharger or a 150 shot. What the hell do all three and there will be very few street cars you’ll have to worry about.

Honestly if he’s driving around on cheap *** street tires you have a good chance of beating him with a stock Z06 if you’re a good driver.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MGorman
Honestly if he’s driving around on cheap *** street tires you have a good chance of beating him with a stock Z06 if you’re a good driver.
Thats what i was thinking! GT2 tires are cheap tires.. By no means for perfomrance i dont believe. I had the same tires in a 20" version on my Yukon because they were cheap.

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
I'm not sure I understand why you're saying Z06 when your sig. says Camaro. Are you buying one soon to compete with him
I sold both Camaros. I will have a Z06 any day. As soon as I find a good deal. It is going to be almost completely stock tho. So i was asking what it would take to beat this monster.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Restricted User

Aaaaah, I understand now. I'm with MGorman, you may be able to beat him stock. If not, throw a 150 shot of juice on it.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Aaaaah, I understand now. I'm with MGorman, you may be able to beat him stock. If not, throw a 150 shot of juice on it.
I actually am not a fan of NOS. I dont think i'll be getting into that. It is sure a very good option tho.. I will think about that more.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

just get a set of headers for about a 1g those new texas speed should work fine and a g5x4 cam on a 112 lsa and a nice tune youd probably be at about a low 11's with that and you should whack him all over, or just get a big shot of nitrous either way your looking at about 3gs to beat that car
Old 03-16-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Flyin Bird, and the rest!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

No way he beats you even stock on crappy street tires....Now if hes running a good tire...look out.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna make a deal.. He said no NOS (i agreed), i'm gonna say street tires only! I should be right with him then, no problem
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by marcus769
I actually went to their place and saw the car among the other muscle cars they had. I couldnt believe it either!

I actually took what he was saying personally. His attitude made me wish I actually had a built car. It would be sweet to beat him, she'd be impressed too, but thats not the real reason for wanting to race.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'll have to get a little more info on the Chevelle. I know he doesnt race at the track with it. Its pretty much just a cruiser. I highly doubt he even has slicks for it just because it never goes to the track. Thanks again!
I was in a similar situation a while back with a guy who owned a fox with a 393 stroker. all the guys at work wwere laughin at me cause they knew I was gonna get beat. at the time I was cam only with a g5x3 cam on 114. we ran from a slowl( because this was during our lunch hour)second gear roll and I put 2-3 cars on him by 145mph. we came back and from racing and all the guys there were butthurt, cuz this new guy who hasnt even been there 6 months beat that foxbody. I dont know why they underestimated my car so much because straight pipes with that cam sounded pretty mean. I ended up gaining respect from co workers because I was the only guy who had beat that car at work.

I say you get full exhaust and intake with a decent size cam and it will be a good race.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Launching!

If you have some minor mods such as LT's, intake, and a cam....I personally feel that you could put some lengths on him. You should make sure that the tires are the same between cars ie: if he's using slick/DR's then you run slicks/DR's....

Even though he supposedly has a badass engine, with 4.11's and a four speed he'll have much difficulty putting it to the ground.

Running form a roll (To show who's car accelerates faster once the traction situation has been overcome)will be your best bet due to our gearing, and aerodynamics, not to mention out light weight.

I'll paint a picture form real world experience with a close friend who can drive:

He has a 70 Nova SS...mods inlcude:

468 alum. head big block 11:1 compression_engine made 602hp/756tq
This engine is backed by a Muncie 4spd, 4.11's, and BF DR's for the street.

We raced from a first gear roll when my only mod was a Vararam, and he had a slight pull on me....maybe a fender-1/2 car.

We then fast forward to Vararam, LG LT's, GHL catback, and a Spec3/alum flywheel.

We once again run from a roll(low speed around 20mph)and I absolutely pull him hard. I personally felt bad because he is like my brother and I know he has many hours into his car while I bought and mildly modified my 02' ZO6, and I put it to him......

We never raced post cam work, and now I'm in the process of heads/Fast/nitrous install. I guess he'll have to put some tires on the car and turn on his 2 stg Powershot setup!

Keep in mind when I was intake only I was trapping anywhere between 115-117mph. After the headers/intake/clutch the car had seen nearly 120mph traps.

I have found that many of these classic muscle cars have a hard time trapping those speeds, and unless you're at the track and he's runnind a 10" slick and launching the hell out the car then I think you'll hold your own.

To be honest though you both have some Chevy heritage in each ones court. He has the classic muscle car while you have the American Sportscar and the base for the C5R which kicked some serious tail on the tracks....

Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to share some real world similiarly equipped experiences....

Alan
Old 03-18-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wavrdr
If you have some minor mods such as LT's, intake, and a cam....I personally feel that you could put some lengths on him. You should make sure that the tires are the same between cars ie: if he's using slick/DR's then you run slicks/DR's....
Alan
Thanks for the info! Your situation really puts what i'm dealing with in a better perspective. I honestly do not have much expirence with the Z06 yet. Honestly i dont even own one at the moment. Cash is in hand, and i'm waiting for the right one to come along, so it will hopefully be any day now! I test drove an 04 Z06 back when it was new on our showroom floor, but was limited by the amount of gas that was in the tank. I was afraid to floor it, as i would have been stuck 5 miles out of town. I hit it a little bit, and compared to my rather stock Camaro SS, it HAULED!

I agree tho, we're both sporting bowtie hertitage, and I will be a good sport about it either way. Thanks Alan!
Old 03-18-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep us posted, sounds like an interesting run. Make sure to get some seat time in the new beast when you get her though! Going from a camaro to a Z06 is a huge difference! Honestly, my $ would be on you. The old muscles just have a hard time putting the power to the ground like the Z's do. Good luck!

Quick Reply: What would it take to a 02-03 Z06 to compate to a 71 Chevelle w/ a 572 crate