Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

B&M Ripper or Hurst for '03 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M Ripper or Hurst for '03 Z06

Okay guys, I just picked up my '03 Z 2.5 weeks ago and the stock shifter (although smooth) has WAY too much plan and just feels flimsy and sloppy. I had a Pro 5.0 w/short stick package in my '00 SS and loved it. Only drawback with the Pro 5.0 was it was noisy and I could hear a lot of tranny noises in the car. That car was LOUD with LT's and SLP Loudmouth exhaust. My Z is stock with the Ti exhaust and I really like everything about it. I want a nice, strong shifter that feels great rowing the gears. I like a precise, notchy shifter. I'm looking at the B&M ripper, the B&M Precision short shifter and the Hurst, but cannot decide. Give me some of your opinions from experience on which you think is best. I know it's like all mod products.....they are all pretty good, but it's just up to personal preference. I'm looking to buy a shifter this weekend. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

I drove a Z06 with a B&M and liked it. The owner had cut the shaft down so it shortened the throws even more. It had a very positive feel to it. When you put it into gear you here that "*****" sound and know your in gear. Give me until Monday and I can tell you how the BPP shifter is. I'm putting it in this weekend. What I like about it is it is ajustable, as for feel I'll find out this weekend.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

Los, a buddy of mine has an '02 and installed the Hurst and it was nice. Problem with both shifters is that you will get drivetrain noise with either one. The C6 ZO6 shifter is a bit quieter, but it may just be to smooth.

Both shifters are an upgrade from the stock one.

Micah

(aka mph1972 on the other forums - FASTGM.com and CORVETTEFORUM.com)
Old 05-10-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Hurst and like it. I would suggest using the softer springs unless your built like the Rock.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJD
I drove a Z06 with a B&M and liked it. The owner had cut the shaft down so it shortened the throws even more. It had a very positive feel to it. When you put it into gear you here that "*****" sound and know your in gear. Give me until Monday and I can tell you how the BPP shifter is. I'm putting it in this weekend. What I like about it is it is ajustable, as for feel I'll find out this weekend.
Let us know what you think. I drove a Z today that I think had that shifter (felt the part the bolts onto the shaft) and it was really hard to move side to side - wasnt sure where the gates for each gear were compared to stock. Maybe it has different springs so it's not as tough to shift. Very short throws and notchy if thats what you're looking for.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just installed the Hurst shifter into two '04 Corvettes. It is a very nice shifter, on par with the B&M ripper. I used the black Hurst shift **** on both of these cars, it gave them a great looking appearance. Bob
Old 05-11-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HURST

I use the stiff springs. Never tried changeing to softer ones. It is, very tight. Like a tiger.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Anymore opinions. They all seem great, and I'm still undecided. I'm looking hard at the B&M Precision short throw and the Hurst now. I've got to get rid of the stock piece. Nice for daily driving, but is just plain weak for much else. Still undecided.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

I vote HURST, it seems to be the shifter of choice.

Micah
Old 05-11-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Micah, what's up bro. How tall is the Hurst shifter handle. In the picture it looks like a short stick setup, which I want. The regular B&M ripper shifter looks to be very tall, like the Pro 5.0 "Power Tower" shifter without short stick package. I can't believe I'm having so much trouble deciding. I just want to make the right choice. Can anyone speak on something the they didn't like about any of the aforementioned shifters. I want pro's and con's. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

I was just checking out that B&M Precision short throw shifter on tbyrne and it looks very nice. I'm swayed again in a new direction
Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

I've got a B&M ripper With a **** that has deep threads so it threads all the way down. I love it... It's got a short throw, a little notchy... but the harder you shift it the better it gets. Some people think it's a little rough for driving around town... but I love it... and it makes redline shifts a breeze
Old 05-11-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went with a hurst in mine