Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

My 2, 6 and 10 week review: 2002 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

What if just press the button, doesn't that turn off tcs but leave active handling on as well?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply pressing the button should turn them both off.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Update: I was out at Speed Inc. last nite, picking up some rear rims. Intmd8 changed my fan settings, so the car runs around 187-194F most of the time now, and also removed torque management. Once I get the airbox, I'm gonna hit the track.

Anyone else get the clicking from the rear sometimes when you launch or load the suspension? It does not sound like the driveline I don't think.
I was under the impression that TM didn't affect manual cars like it does auto's. Going to have to research this a bit, I have hptuners but never touched mine.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

My understanding is that timing can be pulled on shifts.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

PSJ, how would you rate the value of your Z compared to an F-bod? I see you said the Z is worth the 30k entry fee, but do you feel it is worth the 15k more than an 00-02 F-body?

FWIW, I am contemplating selling my TA for a Z06. Main reason is these darn Z06 cars can run a 12.0 around 114 stock. It took bolt ons and a cam to get me there, and it takes much more for me to be able to soundly beat a Z06.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Launching!

bowtie, not to butt in on PSJ but thought you might appreciate multiple opinions. I bought my Z about 2 weeks after PSJ. I've been around fbody cars forever including some pretty fast street cars and have always loved them especially the Trans-Am. That being said I'm very happy that I bought the Z and feel it's worth every extra dollar spent. The Z is just totaly different than the fbody and in my opinion the differences are all good. Totally stock you can take it to any track, straight or twisties and do well. You'll be right with or ahead of the guys that have already done some pretty good mods to their cars. About the only thing it really needs right off is some sticky tires This isn't my daily driver but it drives and rides well enough that it could be. Another plus if you've have any licenses left then your ready to go with the HPT too. I had only used 2 of the 8 licenses before I bought the Z.

Short answer go for it, you'll be all smiles
Old 06-16-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Crewchef, thanks for the input. Any and all opinions are welcome. More and more research I do the more I want a Z06. It might make me a little sad to give up the TA, but seems it would be worth it.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Maybe I need to clarify, I am getting 13.8mpg in the city, in stop and go traffic, ie. rush hour traffic. In my commute I rarely get above 55mph.

Thats normal I usually get between 13.5-15 mpg and i drive most of the time in city stop and go traffic in south florida. If I take it on the highway I can get 27 mpg with the cruise control set to 90 mph.

I would like to know where some of these people live that claim to get over 20 mpg in city driving. Maybe their definition of city differs from mine. I have tried using the 1-4 skip shift feature and babying the car around city for one full tank and only managed 16 mpg. But hey, I didnt buy this car to get good gas mileage
Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I was seeing 11-13 on the instant in the city today, and 28-31 on the highway today.

Having had a 94Z A4, 98SS M6, 98 Formula A4, and now this Z06 M6, I would say that the Z06 is worth 10K more than an F-Body. For another 10K you get low 12's, something different, and a car that is more rare. That being said, had I seen a low mile 1999 30th WS6, I might have pulled the trigger on that. But I passed on 02 CE TA's because I felt they were overpriced.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

What if just press the button, doesn't that turn off tcs but leave active handling on as well?
PSJ, if you just press the TCS button, it'll turn both the traction control and the active handling off. If you hold the button down for 5-6 seconds, it'll show up "Competetive Driving." This turns the traction control off, but leaves the Handling control on in case you "get sideways."

BTW, on the subject of the 10-15K price over an F-body; just go drive the C5Z06, you'll get your answer! My feeling is that you need to go aftermarktet to an Fbod to get the great performance of a Z; and everyone knows that once you change from stock, problems seem to arise much quicker. So, with that said, by spending the extra 15 grand up front, you have a very quick car out of the box, still get warranty in many situations, and don't have to worry about crap breaking (and having to pay for the replacement...if you get the warranty) Just my 02 cents.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

3 more days to till my z gets here w00t!! I'm going to love ever moment of it. I've had a 99 Z28 with all mods, no internals... and its was a very fun car. I think i'm going to enjoy my z06 alot more.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Update:

I had my friend at Ziebart on Mannheim tint all my windows 32%, and then detail my paint, i.e. buff it a bit and do some work on it. Looks really awesome. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

I've been just hitting the button once on startup, I guess I'll try holding it down next time.

I hope to lowe the car soon on the stock bolts, I guess I can get about 3/4 of an inch lower on the stock bolts.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 AM

Heat:

The radiator on these cars are notorious for getting crap stuck to them. As such at least once a year I remove the top cover of the radiator (like 4 10mm bolts) and then hose down the radiator from the top and bottom. My car was running super hot last summer and I forced myself to do this and now the car runs nice and cool. You should really check out the radiator and make sure it is clear of debris. Consider it general maintenance.

My dd is a brand new Acura RL, so driving my Z can really be a bit rough after the Acura. As such I embarked on a plan to bring it up to cruiser requirements. Here is a short list of mods that have made the car more to my standards:

Mod 1: HIDS - If you've ever driven you C5 at night you know how crappy the stock lighting system is. In fact it is so bad I'd consider it a matter of safety. My RL has a great lighting system with excellent beam cut offs that really illuminate the road. So I decided to upgrade my lights when I first got the car in 03. I started off with SilverStars (poo), then went to Euros (solid poo, but still poo), and then high wattage Euros (less smelly poo), then HIDs in Euros (no longer poo - but not there yet), and finally my last upgrade NotMee's projector HIDS -- THESE LIGHTS ARE BETTER THEN OEM C6!! Man finally I can drive at night and see perfectly!!! Plus the car looks alot cooler! And I have FUNCTIONING HIDS that DON'T blind people and I can use!!
Cost: $1,000

Mod 2: Navigation and sound quality - All my DDs as of late have had nav from the factory. I can't live without it. Not to mention I want iPod intergration and sound that is clear and crisp. I started off with a portable Garmin and an iPod hookup to the factory headunit, which was nice, but obviously didn't look factory, so I sold it and picked up an Eclipse AVN5435. The 5435 has navigation and is tied into my speedo so if I lose GPS signal (driving through a tunnel) it still works. The navigation is great and I really like the voice queues that are piped through my speakers. I also added a backup camera (hey I do parallel park in Manhattan) and the iPod kit (allows me to see playlists, artists, songs, etc on-screen). Of course now that I have the head unit in, I realized the sound quality sounded like ***. So I had a stereo shop install all MB Quart components and an amp in the back (no sub). Now the music is crystal clear and I can enjoy it.
Cost:
AVN5435 - $1,800 installed
Speakers - $1,300 installed

Mod 3: Seats - The C5, like every Chevy out there, has a real cheap interior. It's just very dated and frankly very crappy. The biggest complaint for me were the stock seats. So when I was able to snag a set of Caravaggios used I didn't think twice. The seats really make the car stand out and seating is much more comfortable and I am on real leather!
Cost:
Seats $1,500 delivered from Canada

Mod 4: Wheels and Tires - I have a silver Z, while an easy color to keep clean and generally a classy color -- it does NOT stand out. So I needed to add a little "bling" to it. As such I opted for a set of CCW SP500s. Now the car REALLY stands out. Of course after adding the wheels I realized that the brakes looked puny, so I picked up a set of C6 Z06 brakes and rotors. Of course my CCWs wouldn't clear the brakes, so I ended up having to order a brand new set of SP500s designed specifically to clear the brakes. I just recieved the new wheels Friday, so I don't have any pics yet of them and the C6 Z brakes.
Cost:
CCWs + tires: $3,850 shipped (X2)
C6 Z06 brakes: $1,500

Old wheels (I got the same style wheels but with less of a dish to clear the brakes)

Mod 5: Abs of Steel - With my suspension tweaks, big wheels and low sidewall tires, the ride in my Z is pretty harsh -- especially over Manhattan streets. So my next non-performance mod is going to be the abs of steel. Even though my Z only has 13K on the clock, it definately has lost some of it's rigidity, and I hope this will help with heat from the headers and firming it up.
Cost:
Abs of steel - $200

Sorry for going a little off-topic, but I figure these are all options C5 Z owners may want to consider Of course I know I sound like a bling-king, and you gotta have some go with that show. But honestly, the best part about the Z is just being able to drive it! I've taken mine on long trips and commuted in it, it's just a great car. So I've really been focusing on things that make it more fun and enjoyable for me to drive.

-N
Old 06-18-2006, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Very nice, what size rims?

I wish the car had Navi, so I might look into aftermarket units at some point.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look into carputers... i'm putting an 8" touch screen in, that literally runs windows XP. There is software called road runner, and products like "map monkey" for gps, ALL customizeable for your car... amazing... 200gb hard drive, full of endless music... all for less than a gps unit, and alot cooler. (even obd II diagnostics )
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 AM

PSJ,

My first CCW SP500s were 19" all around with some mondo lips in the front and even bigger one in the rear. These wheels wound NOT clear any big brake kits, so I had CCW make a set of the same wheels in off-sets that would clear the new C6 Z06 brakes. The new wheels are 18X10 up front and 19X11 in the rear, however the rears basically lose the lip.

As for the GPS: it's not as hard as you think. Just get a good head unit, mine did not require any crazy reworking of the dash to fit -- believe it or not it's the same size as the stock head unit! The CarPuter thing was something I toyed with, but it's just too much damn work.

-N
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I held the button on for 5-6, when driving, and the Competition Driving mode kicked in. I'll have to mess with it on the way home.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Update:
I hope to lowe the car soon on the stock bolts, I guess I can get about 3/4 of an inch lower on the stock bolts.
Bah, break out the hacksaw and slam it already. Quit being a skirt.
Attached Thumbnails My 2, 6 and 10 week review:  2002 Z06-868-6803_img.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cendres
Bah, break out the hacksaw and slam it already. Quit being a skirt.
are those factory rear wheels?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Haha.. Hi Chris.

Competitive Driving mode is pretty nice, feels like I'm driving an F-Body.

Quick Reply: My 2, 6 and 10 week review: 2002 Z06