Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette + Jackstands = arggghhh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I am one of those suckers that actually enjoys working on cars. Paying someone means I'm paying them to have fun. I just didn't expect this much "fun" due to GM's craptastic design of the Corvette drivetrain

Exhaust is back on the car, the rear suspension is back in the car. Just need to fill fluids in the diff and tranny, tighten up the exhaust clamps and headers, bleed the brakes, put the shifter and console back in, etc... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Spanky: 3.90 gears. So I can finish the 1/4-mile near redline instead of 5500 rpm. My shift points are closer to 7K rpm with the cam. Responsiveness wasn't an issue, this car boils the tires at low rpm due to the Magnacharger and cam. Its pretty much useless until 3rd gear as it was
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I know what you mean about the clucth being a pain. Im finishing up a clutch install with all new hydraulics, dte brace, output shafts, nitrous and a few other things in my z06 right now.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep...........lift is very nice for this type work
https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/535628-droppin-drivetrain-a4-c5.html
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Well, I am one of those suckers that actually enjoys working on cars. Paying someone means I'm paying them to have fun. I just didn't expect this much "fun" due to GM's craptastic design of the Corvette drivetrain

Exhaust is back on the car, the rear suspension is back in the car. Just need to fill fluids in the diff and tranny, tighten up the exhaust clamps and headers, bleed the brakes, put the shifter and console back in, etc... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Spanky: 3.90 gears. So I can finish the 1/4-mile near redline instead of 5500 rpm. My shift points are closer to 7K rpm with the cam. Responsiveness wasn't an issue, this car boils the tires at low rpm due to the Magnacharger and cam. Its pretty much useless until 3rd gear as it was
I know what you mean...I love grease as well. But only on my own rides....My dad has a lift and I still paid $350 however.....
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

It's ok.

You could have been Sigforty and put a jackstand entirely through your rocker panel near the rear-brake duct. Sorry, Mark....had to.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I drove the Corvette to work today

With the new clutch and new rearend/gears, I'm going to put about 500 miles on it to make sure they are broke in well. I'm in no hurry to break the car again, haha.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Congratulations Tony for a job well-done. BTW- Don't forget to send in your warranty paperwork we included with your differential.

Enjoy the weekend!

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 07-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
MrZ51, I gave up trying to document this install, snapping photos was taking too much time and I'm eager to finish the car. I should just snap a photo of around eight $100 dollar bills and say that is how you get a clutch installed, lol.

I'd do a differential on jackstands again, it wasn't that bad. The clutch just requires too many other things to do first, its stupid.

Ron, it definitely helped to have the rear suspension and exhaust removed to put the DTE brace in. I could see it being pretty difficult to do if the exhaust pipes and suspension were in place. The front mounts on top that hold the heim joints would be very difficult to reach like that. It was simple to install like I had it. Don't spend too long cussing GM and throwing tools, it will just make you take longer to fix it!
I wish I knew how to do that stuff like you but unfortunately the Franklins are the only way I know how, however, it still gets the job done.

Quick Reply: Corvette + Jackstands = arggghhh!