C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

My first auto-x with the vette!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My first auto-x with the vette!

Man, what a friggen blast.

I have been meaning to go for a long time, but just never got around to it. I showed up to a local event on a whim on Sunday, and can only wonder why I didn't get around to doing this sooner

I didn't really know anything about autocrossing, but luckily a friend of mine was there, as well as a few other fellow C5 owners who were willing to walk the course with me and throw out some pointers. I really learned a lot about what my car can and cannot do.

I also took a ride with a guy in a Miata...holy crap, he drove the absolute poop out of that thing. It was awesome!!

One thing that's funny about auto-x is watching it vs. doing it. I walked the course 5+ times, watched a whole group go before me, but when it was my turn, it was like I'd never seen the course before and damn those cones came up fast! I was glad my friend rode with me because I got to the slalom and completely blanked out. He was screaming LEFT !! LEFT!!

I came out a little too aggressive, part of being a n00b. I spun out twice, going too fast through the turns. I did not hit any cones in the process, though.

I competed in SS-N, novice. You can be a novice for an entire year...it kind of sucked to be competing against people who had been doing it way longer than me, but then again I was only out there to have fun. I placed 16th out of 18th, so I wasn't dead last :woot:

Here's a few snaps from the day, my friend left the watermarks on them but you get the point.

In the paddock ..

Coming around a turn

Look like I'm standing still in this pic but I was movin'

In the paddock part 2, my friends in the background (firehawk guy, left, magnacharged GTO guy on the right)

Right before I wiped out

Hauling butt through the finish line

I'm totally hooked

Last edited by keliente; 07-13-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, this is the one thing I been wanting to do bt have not. I need to make time because it looks like a blast.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

AWESOME!
I've always wanted to do that as well.

Texas Motor Speedway isn't too far from here and I am gearinng up to go tear that track up!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats awesome chica. I know what you mean by the sea of cones. I walked the autocross I went to a couple of times, and when I actually got behind the wheel....it was crazy as ****! They all come up soo fast. It's like "left, left, right, no left ..****!!!"

Lol. Great times...car looks great in the photo's at speed.

See ya
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

lucky jerk haha
Old 07-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Welcome to the madness/addiction. Soon you will try an HPDE, then a road racing event like SCCA. It never stops.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very fun...and addicting
Old 07-17-2006, 04:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I just did my first auto-x a couple of months ago. I know what you mean about watching people and even walking the track then once your on it you forget. I stood at the corner almost everyone was screwing up on the cones and not going around the wrong one. I told my friends Im glad Im in the third group so I dont have to worry about messing up on that corner after watching all these cars go. So on my 2nd run I screwed up the same corner, but it was still alot of fun.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

killer isnt it!!!
check out this vid I made a while back http://media.putfile.com/auto-x-vid