Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

How does a C5 Z06 compare to a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SY732
All the 1lt owners... I thought about the Z51 but did not want the extra weight and stiffer ride
I have to ask...what is the extra weight with the Z51 you are thinking of? The tranny/ps coolers and the bigger rotors? I submit that 30lbs is literally worth its weight on the race track. As for the big difference in weight between base and loaded...the HUD, 6 disc changer or Nav, seat motors and side impact airbags (which may also be worth the 5 lbs) are the only weight differences. Wear lighter clothes/helmet and you've made up the weight difference there. If it's race only, then screw the springs period and put coil overs on it. If it serves double duty, I submit very few "weekend" drivers would be affected by the extra 50lbs of stuff (and protected by the Z51 items), but they would certainly miss the conveniences when it's on the street.

With that said, my Dad owns a base C6 because he didn't want anything complicated to deal with and hates the HUD.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

I was in the same boat earlier this year....but when I decided I really wanted a car for the track I knew a C5 Z06 was the answer. The day I decided I found a 2002 with 11K miles for $31.5K on the Corvetteforum site. Now that's a killer deal in itself but check this out, the guy had it for two years and had set it up for tracking but only got out about four times, his loss my gain. It came with the following:

Extra set of wheels, 18" motosports all around with Kumhos(stock wheels/tires 98%new), Blackwing, Dewitts Rad with integral oil cooler, Rippie Brake duct kit, 3M clear bra, lowered on a Koni adjustable shock kit, extra full set of Carbotech brake pads, extra rotors and some fluids. WOW!!! I feel like I really lucked out. The savings allowed for extra dough to buy tools and race gear. Great deals are out there. Oh, and it's great on the street too!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rolex24
I was in the same boat earlier this year....but when I decided I really wanted a car for the track I knew a C5 Z06 was the answer. The day I decided I found a 2002 with 11K miles for $31.5K on the Corvetteforum site. Now that's a killer deal in itself but check this out, the guy had it for two years and had set it up for tracking but only got out about four times, his loss my gain. It came with the following:

Extra set of wheels, 18" motosports all around with Kumhos(stock wheels/tires 98%new), Blackwing, Dewitts Rad with integral oil cooler, Rippie Brake duct kit, 3M clear bra, lowered on a Koni adjustable shock kit, extra full set of Carbotech brake pads, extra rotors and some fluids. WOW!!! I feel like I really lucked out. The savings allowed for extra dough to buy tools and race gear. Great deals are out there. Oh, and it's great on the street too!
Now that's a freakin' deal!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CySevans
Who the heck wants a stripped down Vette?
Even with no options at all it still has most of the stuff you truly need anyhow. You really don't need a power passenger seat or heated seats or the memory package or any of that stuff that comes in the 2LT and 3LT package. I was just looking at the 2007 Corvette ordering guide and thought to myself that the extra goodies in the 3LT package aren't really necessary and they add 64 extra pounds of weight! I know this is true, because in Canada our base model includes all the 3LT options and the curb weight according to GM Canada is 3243, while on the US website it's listed at 3179. So we really can't even get a stripped down Corvette up here.

So if someone in the US wants to go fast on a budget, just go for a 1LT model with Z51.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only option (besides the z51) that I would want is the memory package, but you have to get the 3LT for that. I hate that you can't pick exactly what options you want.....that goes for other GM vehicles too.....Probably saves money, so the bean counters win.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

trust me, you want the HUD on the roadcourse. i cannot praise it enough. having speed reference without having to look at the instruments while setting up for 80mph+ corner IS invaluable.

I admit I was considering getting z51 C6 a few months ago.
the fact that HUD only comes in the ridiculously overpriced option group, along with a bunch of crap i don't care about would be a dealbreaker for me. that and the total cost/depreciation, of course. That's not even talking about performance/weight differences.

oh and I am yet to see a c5/c6 coupe or convertible on the roadcourse, while i've seen plenty of c5z06 and c6z06 - that's your clue right there.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am having a problem. I'm starting to look at C5s and C6s...then think, damn, the C5 looks old to me now. How much slower is a C6 compared to a C5 Z06? How cheaply can it be made equal?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
I am having a problem. I'm starting to look at C5s and C6s...then think, damn, the C5 looks old to me now. How much slower is a C6 compared to a C5 Z06? How cheaply can it be made equal?
I've ran several stock ones. I've ran them when i was stock, and now i'm modded. There is no comparison now. I love my 2002 Z06, and i only paid 26,000 for it w/ 50K miles, from a 70 y/o man.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:38 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

C6 Z06
ID go for the C5 z06 for racing
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
to each his own, some prefer C5 look. performance wise, they are close.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Viper all the way

Quick Reply: How does a C5 Z06 compare to a C6?