Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Homemade Honker

Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Homemade Honker

I had a little free time tonight and decided to play around with the vette and formula.

At first I just started by taking apart the airbox on the vette since I had heard about the zip tie mod. Wanted to see how it went together and all. So I tore it all out, and I noticed how closely the air filter housing looked like the F-body's stock one, minus the air silencer. So the first thing I did was install the corvette air filter housing (airlid) on the Formula......what do you know, it fit like stock (exect no silencer) [Look at picture 1 here]

So now I'm thinking, well if that would work, I'm sure I can use the airlid from the Formula (MTI brand) on the vette. The vette's MAFS is connected to the airlid with what looked to be a non-reusable clamp, so I used the Formula's MAFS for mockup. I then just flipped the airlid upright (so mounted simlar to F-body's) and set it in the compartment. [see pictures 2 and 3] And used zip ties to secure the filter base to the lid.

This is where I stopped developement for tonight. First "problem" is the airbridge doesn't mount to the shroud at this time. My next step is to cut the plastic piece behind the airbox for some cold air and use the filter base to hold in the filter. Hopefully by doing this it will also allow the bridge to mount in the stock location without any problems. Even without the airbridge mounting correctly, I was able to close the hood no problem. I also want to find a nicer way to seal the filter to the airlid than zip ties.

This all should work fairly well once I'm done, and be very similar to the honker or MTI's intake for the vette, but cost only the price of an F-body airlid (~$100). It should provide both increased airflow and cold air.

So after all this was done, I put the Formula back together, and proceeded to do the zip tie mod until I can get another F-body airlid.

Just say no to the Corvette Tax
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Honker-dsc01644s.jpg   Homemade Honker-dsc01648s.jpg   Homemade Honker-dsc01649s.jpg  
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like a good idea!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update on this. Interesting discovery you've made.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, I sprained my ankle, so that has slowed developement....hopefully I can get to it this weekend!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, finally got it done.

The fit is just OK, as the angle of the F-body airlid is not at the best angle for the vette, but it is still completely functional.

Couple of notes. I used the AIT hole in the lid for the air pump hose since the air bridge has the AIT hole. I also had to trim a little off the lid and air bridge and then put the mass airflow at a slight angle to get it to all line up and down into the hole that I cut out.

Zip ties were the best thing I could come up with to secure the air filter to the lid.

Overall, though, it doesn't look too bad and should be just as functional as a lot of the other cold air intake systems similar to it. The best thing, it didn't cost me a dime (well OK, I did get a new airfilter while I was at it) since I already had the airlid.
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Honker-dsc01717s.jpg   Homemade Honker-dsc01720s.jpg   Homemade Honker-dsc01721s.jpg   Homemade Honker-dsc01724s.jpg   Homemade Honker-dsc01725s.jpg  

Old 08-05-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

And here's what it looks like from underneath
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Honker-dsc01726s.jpg  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad. Using some injenuity!!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

That looks great!
I have been looking to try something different on my intake.
I had already cut a hole thru the front for use with a come airfilter.
The formula intake looks MUCH better.
Where did you get it>
Old 08-08-2006, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel any difference - performance wise ?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jed Z06
That looks great!
I have been looking to try something different on my intake.
I had already cut a hole thru the front for use with a come airfilter.
The formula intake looks MUCH better.
Where did you get it>
The airlid is from MTI, but just about every sponsor sells some type of airlid for an F-body

I can't tell the difference, 5-10 HP on a 300+HP car is pretty hard to tell by the seat of the pants.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Ackattack1,
In your first picture, the stock corvette lid looks very similar to the aftermarket f-body lids available (Except AIR is on wrong side and the angle of the neck looks a bit high). Can a stock corvette lid be used on an f-body to get rid of the f-body air silencer??

In other words, could a corvette lid be used in place of an aftermarket f-body lid.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

i have the halltech tunnel port in the front and used a raptor xxl intake for the front but connected 2 high flow air bridges to place the filter right down in the nose of the car...i felt an instant increase in power i would like to somehow attach an airbridge to feed from below the radiator shroud as well almost like an up and down vararam instead of their side to side type of induction...havent quite figured out how i will do it tho lol but if anything i would use the halltech killer bee for the c6 for the bottom intake...really am curious about how this setup will perform so i am rackin my brain tryin to figure a way to do it
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Can anyone confirm if a stock corvette lid would work in f-body applications? I'm concerned there might be clearance issues with the hood due to the angle of the "neck" section on the vette lid.

I'm looking to eliminate the air silencer and a cheap alternative to the blackwing lid.

Can someone send some photos from the side of a vette lid?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Can anyone confirm if a stock corvette lid would work in f-body applications?
No, it will not work for what you want, it is the same part. Spend 50 bucks on a used airlid.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

why not just do the fliptie mod
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Nice work. For anyone else who wants to do this, it can be done very nicely with the stock corvette parts:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...26&postcount=2
Old 09-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Coy Quote: No, it will not work for what you want, it is the same part. Spend 50 bucks on a used airlid.
Can you explain why it will not work? The aftermarket air lids are cheap and do not seal properly (blackwing excluded). The stock lid is very stiff and seals well.

Is there interference with the hood??

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the same lid as the one in the F-body. Instead of the baffle, the corvette has an air bridge, and a bellow.

If you want a Blackwing, get a Blackwing.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, you need to make up some of the distance taken up by the air bridge

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Homemade Honker