Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Saw a Stingray today????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw a Stingray today????

I was on I-35W (just south of FT Worth, TX) and saw a silver C6 passing me on my left as I was driving home, and noted that it didn't have the Z06 type hood or rear brake vents, but as it passed, I noticed that it had modern style "StingRay" badges on the side. Anyway, turns out that he was getting off at the same exit that I was, so I sped up and we caught a light. I wanted to ask him about it, but he was on his phone, didn't want to interrupt
Do you think that this was just some aftermarket badges or what? I've heard that GM is going to be doing a supercharged Stingray, but later on (2008?) but I would think that if they've already put a few out, they would at least be on the Z06 body style, right? BTW, I took a pic of it with my phone camera, if anyone is interested, but I don't have any clue as to uploading the image. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Launching!

are you sure it said stingray and not devil ray. mti makes a 427 devilray pakage for the c6 w. devilray emblems on the side.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

You too can make yours a "Stingray" for about $50. They are just aftermarket badges.

I think Eckler's or Mid-America sells them (probably find them on E-bay too). The only "Stingray" that is rumored to come out is some kind of version of the little Pontiac Solstice. The supercharged Vette supposedly in the works is code named Blue Devil, but the official (for what it's worth) release name will be the Corvette SS to stay in their SS line of performance vehicles (as if the Z06 isn't performance enough ).
Old 07-28-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanna see the pics any way Reese, Send them to me and I will try and post them up
Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigRon77
You too can make yours a "Stingray" for about $50. They are just aftermarket badges.

I think Eckler's or Mid-America sells them (probably find them on E-bay too). The only "Stingray" that is rumored to come out is some kind of version of the little Pontiac Solstice. The supercharged Vette supposedly in the works is code named Blue Devil, but the official (for what it's worth) release name will be the Corvette SS to stay in their SS line of performance vehicles (as if the Z06 isn't performance enough ).
I'm not sure how current your info is, but there was a release in one of the car mags just a few weeks ago that stated that the new name for the supercharged vette would indeed be "Stringray"
The nickname "Blue devil" came from the fact that one of the Chevy top dogs (I forget his name right this second) is a hugh fan of the Duke Blue Devils
Old 07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
I'm not sure how current your info is, but there was a release in one of the car mags just a few weeks ago that stated that the new name for the supercharged vette would indeed be "Stringray"
The nickname "Blue devil" came from the fact that one of the Chevy top dogs (I forget his name right this second) is a hugh fan of the Duke Blue Devils
I tend to beleive it's all speculation until an official announcement is made, but the magazines can be way off. The info I saw was supposedly from a GM insider that was posted on the Corvette Forum 3 weeks ago and was in the form of a GM tech project sheet which listed the new motors and cars in the works. The sheet looked legitimate, but who knows.

Did the magazine say it was going to be based on the LS7 engine? If so, the sheet said it was going to be a completely new motor which would be supercharged, and not the LS7, and it would be rated at 650bhp. The Blue Devil part is correct (and verified I believe).

Like I said...speculation everywhere.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbusmc1986
I wanna see the pics any way Reese, Send them to me and I will try and post them up
John, PM sent.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET

Yep, I saw that article too. I'll see if I can post up a link.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's one article. There is another one somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/...led-sting-ray/
Old 07-29-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the picture.... they are about the same and this is the better of the two, In my opinion, that looks like the exact same emblem that I had on my 76, So I dunno man, gm might have done it for nostalgia or the people might have just put it on themselves
Attached Thumbnails Saw a Stingray today????-stingray.jpg  
Old 07-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DocT
I was on I-35W (just south of FT Worth, TX) and saw a silver C6 passing me on my left as I was driving home, and noted that it didn't have the Z06 type hood or rear brake vents, but as it passed, I noticed that it had modern style "StingRay" badges on the side. .......Do you think that this was just some aftermarket badges or what?
Definitely just an aftermarket badge. You'd be amazed at what some people, and some dealers, will stick on a car to make it "exclusive."
Old 07-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I think the announcement of "stingray" production is the reason you see 06 zo6's poping up for sale on the boards
Old 07-30-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WSsicks
I think the announcement of "stingray" production is the reason you see 06 zo6's poping up for sale on the boards
Maybe that'll drive the price of the C6Z06's down to the $40's

Not even close right? Cool thought though, huh?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be really cool.... I still wouldnt buy one for a while, with all of the money that I am sinking into this car but I would love that, I doubt that the prices would get that low though
Old 07-30-2006, 02:58 AM
TECH Junkie

That actually looks like the badge off of like a 69 stingray....
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
That actually looks like the badge off of like a 69 stingray....

When I first saw them, they looked more "modern." But now that I see them in the pics again, they do look like the C3's old Stingray emblems.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DocT
When I first saw them, they looked more "modern." But now that I see them in the pics again, they do look like the C3's old Stingray emblems.
Ecklers sells these in both OEM replacement form (i.e. with tabs that go through the fender for certain year models), and stick on ones.

They are $54.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

well doc t it's a shame that u sold that z06........ oh well message me bak when u get your new ride
Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

doctor t tell me when u get your new ride. well l8er
Old 07-30-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for those last two posts (mine) My son logged on and wrote those

Quick Reply: Saw a Stingray today????