Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

First pic - APS C5 twin turbo system

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter I agree that it's possible, I wasn't arguing that point at all. I did mine in a one car apartment garage on jackstands, but it sure was easy.

Personally, I had to lower the k-member, raise the engine away from the subframe at the same time, and remove the engine mount pedestal on each side to shoehorn each assembly in place.

It's possible as you mentioned, but you really need to have some serious skills going into the project or it's not gonna happen.

That Corvette kit looks like a gem, I just wanted to urge prospective buyers to pay the money to have it installed. Well worth the frustration saved.

joegrunt- Thanks for the kind words! I stand for quality, call me if you have any questions. ~Joshua
Old 09-03-2006, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Peter I agree that it's possible, I wasn't arguing that point at all. I did mine in a one car apartment garage on jackstands, but it sure was easy.
That would certainly make any twin turbo install far more difficult, working with a lift is the ideal situation and far easier on the body.

Personally, I had to lower the k-member, raise the engine away from the subframe at the same time, and remove the engine mount pedestal on each side to shoehorn each assembly in place.
I guess you're referring to a Camaro TT install. I admitt that I have no experience with the TT Camaro install. With the APS C5 twin turbo install the entire ex manifold, turbocharger and down pipe is fitted as one assembly without raising the engine, that does make the turbo install easier though best done with the car on a lift or on high jack stands for sure.

It's possible as you mentioned, but you really need to have some serious skills going into the project or it's not gonna happen. That Corvette kit looks like a gem, I just wanted to urge prospective buyers to pay the money to have it installed. Well worth the frustration saved.
The C5 twin turbo system is certainly doable as a DYI project if the owner has reasonable mechanical skills, a well equipped garage and plenty of time. That said, I agree with you and I also much prefer the idea of a competent shop with plenty of turbo system experience performing the twin turbo install, less frustration and less down time are obvious advantages.

Peter
Old 09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

After the shady turbo companies I have dealt with in the past, I would welcome the chance to install an APS turbo system. Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I would welcome the chance to install an APS turbo system. Bob
Bob, I'd say given your profile there's a better than even chance that you will instal many C5 twin turbo systems over the coming years.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Teching In

joegrunt- Thanks for the kind words! I stand for quality, call me if you have any questions. ~Joshua
Oh I will, lol. Right now I am stationed in CA, but I plan on retiring and moving to HI soon. I will send you an email with some questions soon. Thanks, Larry
Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Bob, I'd say given your profile there's a better than even chance that you will instal many C5 twin turbo systems over the coming years.
Thanks! We're ready! Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joegrunt
Thanks Peter, guess I need to find a shop! lol Just so my slow brain takes all this in, if I put this on my C5 I need to put in new pistons and a new cam also?
Peter,
I was wondering what the answer to JoeGrunt's question is? Looks like an awsome system. How much do you think a reasonable install would be?

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 09-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Oh, how much HP do you think it is produceing?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rusty,s C5
Peter,
I was wondering what the answer to JoeGrunt's question is? Looks like an awsome system. How much do you think a reasonable install would be?

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty, I did a web search and found a kit for a C6 that listed for 9k, you will have to ask the guys here who do installs how much we can plan on spending for it. I also need to know if I need to do a piston and cam upgrade as well. Plus I have been thinking, will we need to upgrade our stock brakes for this increase in hp?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Wink

Rusty, I did a web search and found a kit for a C6 that listed for 9k, you will have to ask the guys here who do installs how much we can plan on spending for it. I also need to know if I need to do a piston and cam upgrade as well. Plus I have been thinking, will we need to upgrade our stock brakes for this increase in hp?

Thanks for the info. Yeah I would like to know the answer to all of those questions. Your probably right about the brakes, I didn't even think about that. Thanks for that tip also.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Damn that kit is smoken!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
FormerVendor

Do you plan on putting out a list of everything that you need to do in addition to the install?
Joegrunt, The APS twin intercooled twin turbo system is designed to run on a bone stock LS1 engine (a set of stronger valve springs would be ideal to eliminate valve float and a set of colder plugs may be required) and will produce around 550-575 rwhp with a thorough dyno tune on 93 octane fuel. There's no need to go with forged pistons or rods, bigger cam/heads (between 500 to 600 whp) unless you're wanting to push for mega HP in the future, hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help out.

Peter
Old 09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Joegrunt, The APS twin intercooled twin turbo system is designed to run on a bone stock LS1 engine (a set of stronger valve springs would be ideal to eliminate valve float and a set of colder plugs may be required) and will produce around 550-575 rwhp with a thorough dyno tune on 93 octane fuel. There's no need to go with forged pistons or rods, bigger cam/heads (between 500 to 600 whp) unless you're wanting to push for mega HP in the future, hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help out.

Peter
Will I need to upgrade my stock brakes? At 575 rwhp, it would seem that the stock ones wouldn't cut it. I would think you would need a new cam, but then again I have never even thought about this type of set up on a car.
Thanks Peter.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

Will I need to upgrade my stock brakes? At 575 rwhp, it would seem that the stock ones wouldn't cut it.
Depends on how you use the TT Vette, if your going to circuit race then you will need big brakes for certain, on the other hand if you're just using the C5 on the street then the stock brakes with improved brake pads should be sufficient.

I would think you would need a new cam, but then again I have never even thought about this type of set up on a car.
Thanks Peter.
Not sure why you believe a new cam (bigger cam?)would be necessary, the stock cam is capable of very decent HP and will keep the idle very smooth, high fuel efficiency will also be retained with the stock camshaft. I'd only go with a bigger cam shaft if you're wanting over 600/600 rwhp/rwtq.

Peter
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Nope Peter, 575 will do me just fine. I have stock exhaust, do you recommend upgrading it? And I will take your advice on keeping the cam in there the same. As you can see I have a lot to learn about this application!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 AM
FormerVendor

Nope Peter, 575 will do me just fine.
I thought so............in all honesty a twin turbo LS1 with 575 rwhp and 575 rwtq feels absolutely awesome on the road and truly is awesome, more power and torque than most guys will genuinely ever want or need.

I have stock exhaust, do you recommend upgrading it?
The C5 twin turbo system has a true dual 3'' exhaust system included (not the rear muffler, see pic below) which bolts up to the stock C5 rear muffler assembly. You can choose to retain the stock muffler or replace the rear muffler with a high flow aftermarket muffler, this really depends on your power goals and also if you want to keep the exhaust note fairly quiet (and avoid drama with the law), your choice either way.

peter
Old 09-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Teching In

I
The C5 twin turbo system has a true dual 3'' exhaust system included (not the rear muffler, see pic below) which bolts up to the stock C5 rear muffler assembly. You can choose to retain the stock muffler or replace the rear muffler with a high flow aftermarket muffler, this really depends on your power goals and also if you want to keep the exhaust note fairly quiet (and avoid drama with the law), your choice either way.

peter
It looks great, but I would like a little more sound from the back. Nothing too loud, but something that would make it stand out a little I believe. Thanks for all the help on this Peter, it is appriciated!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

It looks great, but I would like a little more sound from the back. Nothing too loud, but something that would make it stand out a little I believe. Thanks for all the help on this Peter, it is appriciated!
I'm sure there would be a good deal of aftermarket rear mufflers that would suit your taste and provide a tough exhaust note without being too over bearing in terms of cabin noise (NVH), by all means let me know which rear muffler you like if you do proceed with the twin turbo project.

Peter
Old 09-06-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

This kit as well as all of the others I have seen from your company is simply beautiful.

Great work!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
This kit as well as all of the others I have seen from your company is simply beautiful.

Great work!
Thanks for those kind words, the C5 system is in imho one of the best twin turbo systems that APS has ever developed. Here's a new pic of the C5 twin intercooled twin turbo system that I got from our web guy................this pic shows the speed density version ( MAF deleted) though the production APS twin turbo system will retain the mass air flow housing as requested by many forum members, enjoy!

Peter

Quick Reply: First pic - APS C5 twin turbo system