Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

major power loss, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default major power loss, please help!

I was getting on the freeway on sunday and shifted from 5th to 6th when the car experienced a major power loss. If feels like I am dragging a semi. I got no check engine light. I get it home( all gages fine). there is no noise from the motor. I checked the valve train. (no broken valve spring, rocker or bent push rod) I checked the plugs and they looked good. I checked compression and that is also good. I don't know what to do next. I have new plugs, wires, and fuel filter coming. I could use some advise on what to do.
Thanks!
-matt
Old 08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the clutch wasn't just slipping?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

It's not a clutch issue. It runs as if there was a major problem. If the car is in neutral and you rev it there is a problem. (trans/clutch eliminated).
Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm Sounds like the problem I had with my Cavalier. It eneded up being that a peice of the fuel filter came apart, and cloged the Injectors. not enough to stall the car, but not enough fuel for power. I say check injectors, and also your FPR. they do go bad. not often, but i have seen it.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Launching!

So you can hear it run bad ? If so maybe you could take a short video of it running and post it.
If you would like to pm me I can possibly help via the phone.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

were you wot??, looks like your boosted, how much psi?, in 6th gear under boost the engine likes to knock ... what was each cylinder compression at?... also did you disconnect the batt. for 15 min.? could be something in the tune if it was just recently done... did you do any new mods?.......... also if you did have a clutch failure, it could be bunched up on one side of the pressure plate... is there any noises at all coming from anywhere when you drive down the road w/your windows down?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I have also thought the fuel filter. I had to order one. I am waiting to see if that helps. Fuel pressure is good, but i don't have a way to check volume. You can hear it run poor, but is hard to tell at the moment because I have electronic cutouts and one motor died. The exhaust is currently open and is very loud. I wasn't under WOT. i was at about 2k just normally driving. I don't get on it in 6th. It makes 7psi max. My compression is lower than stock. (10:1) I saw a range from 155-170 at all cylinders. This has been the same tune for the last few months. Nothing else has changed in a while. I don't believe it to be clutch related becuase there is no weird noise. It shifts normal and engages good as well.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

well if its not mechanical... there is only 2 other things it could be besides air, wich is fuel or spark.... so if the tune/spark is good, that leaves fuel system... unless the air filter is crushed??
Old 08-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

NEW UPDATE: I found the fuse for injection circuit 1 blown. Is there any common problems with this?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

No common problems with that on stock C5's, though I think you may be a little different. Perhaps you want to recheck all of your fuel wiring to make sure nothing is corroded/shorting?

While we are on the subject of fuel...

I was going to change my fuel filter (72k miles, '98 C5). I looked on all-data to get an idea of the job...and it said to only change the filter if there was a problem, that it is not something you do as routine maintenance...????
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

bs about the fuel filter, change that sucker every once in a while, especially w/the crap gas going around these days...(and be happy you dont have a 99, look up how much that sucker costs w/the built in regulator...).. but back to the blown fuse, you do have 60lb injectors and I'm wondering if they played w/ any other voltage tables in the tune that would cause the fuse to blow.... well hopefully thats a fix and you'll know next time if it happens again....
Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

I want to chase down the cause for the fuse blowing. It only happened on one bank and i have a feeling that this isn't a one time occasion. I am trying to located the wiring diagram and go from there.
-matt