Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

GRRR WTF.....TT problems I guess..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRRR WTF.....TT problems I guess..

Ok Well For the Past month My Car has had A vibration above 3K rpm. I have a weird lose broken sound coming out of my shifter area. I thouht this whole time it might have been the Throwout bearing or perhaps the Clutch had issues. Well Today I pulled the Exhuast and looked at the clutch and everything is fine. nothing is broken or out of place.

So now I am 90% sure it is the Torque Tube, because if I push the clutch in and Rev the car there in NO vibration. but if I put the car in Netural and rev it I get the vibration. Maybe someting out of Blance?

My question is. Has anyone ever heard of a TT going bad? I was wondering what thea actual shaft is made out of. If its a fiberglass one, maybe its spliting and thas the weird sound i am hearing. any help or info would be MOST helpful. Chances are it needs to go to a shop now, cause I am not Dealing with this stuff now.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which turbo kit is it?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
FormerVendor

HEY MARK..... We miss ya over at the "Other" site...

He's talking about the "Torque Tube."
Must be a bad rubber drive shaft coupler.
Originally Posted by mdhmi
Which turbo kit is it?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, the coupler. Buddy just replaced his on his '00. IIRC, the older ones had a smaller set-up that will fail easier, compared to the latter ones (bigger donut and bolts).
Robert
Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Apparently Lingenfelter doesn't and that's all that matters.

Apparently when I said they have a nice kit that was read as bashing.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I was Thinking It might be the So called Coupler. Now How big of a job is it to replace it cause If Its not to much I will do it myself. And should I just replace it with a stock one or and aftermarket one? Whats the Benifent/Drawbacks. I have been searhing but I cant seem to find the answers I am looking for. Cause from What I Read and heard the Toqure tube is not a serviceable part. So any help is most helpful. I am not a Vette Expert yet, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
FormerVendor

I thought it was only a 2 week vacation...
*ON TOPIC*
Its not extremely difficult, but if you havent done it before it can be quite challenging. Depending on your power level/driving style, I would go with a stock coupler up front and an aluminum coupler in the rear. This would pretty much eliminate your future issues..

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Apparently Lingenfelter doesn't and that's all that matters.

Apparently when I said they have a nice kit that was read as bashing.

Last edited by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng; 01-17-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe not for everyone............but my 97' I just got back together will NEVER have another coupler fail
It runs/drives nice and smooth too.

Not enough weight increase to feel it either
Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 AM
FormerVendor

ATNB, Do you feel ANY additional vibration with that driveshaft?? I've considered doing it, but was concerned about the trade off's. Its got to be as bulletproof as you can get though.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Very Nice. Now which coupler is front and which is rear. I am guessing the first is the Rear one? And how much did it cost haveing that welded in. I can imagine its no easy task keeping it balanced while doing it either. Did you install this yourself? If so how hard was it? Sorry for all the questions I just am haveing a hard time finding all this info. The pics help a ton though Thanks for the help too.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

AH, No extra vibration/noise at all while driving. A little noise at idle......but I think its just a little rattling from the 417 cid vibrating harmonically through the 3" alum, tube.....doesn't bother me at all.
KEN, As for the pics, yup, its the rear or TC side 1st. The one behind it is my spare TT from a 2001 for comparison.ECS does these.
I never had time to post on here as well but.........read bottom up. Lots of my info.
Steve

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1582390

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1571081

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1517028

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1506995

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1502374

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1460925

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1409818

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1435254

And most of the pics;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...y.php/cat/1244
Yes, I did the R&R myself........not for the less experienced, but not hard either in my book, just takes time.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

WOW You have helped me so much. I actually look forward now to doing this myself. now that I can see how everything goes together. Thank you SOOO much. Your my new Hero. lol
Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP

He's talking about the "Torque Tube."
Must be a bad rubber drive shaft coupler.
I've had 2 front TT couplers fail on 2 different tubes. Replaced both with solids and tossed in a Textralia clutch.. so far so good with 8psi. One of my best friends is getting ready to do it on his 01 with a 150 shot. He's getting some vibration/noise that we feel is coupler related. It's not too bad, we can R&R it in a day. Looks more involved than it really is.

"Other site"...lol.. what a joke.. I used to post over "there" a decent amount... But to be honest, it got pretty shitty. So I browse here and there, thats about it. Not regularly though. You can't say anything to anyone or call BS on anyone (vendor or not) or your **** will get deleted and/or you'll get warned by a moderator/admin with a BIG **** complex.. Screw that, it's not even worth it.. Even if the person is 100% BS and you call em out.... It's like "OMG, you cant do that... " One of my friends was banned for 3 months for calling someone an ***. I don't even waste my time.

That's why I like this place, there's more "real" info and you can speak your mind.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve01SS
"Other site"...lol.. what a joke.. I used to post over "there" a decent amount... ... You can't say anything to anyone or call BS on anyone (vendor or not) or your **** will get deleted and/or you'll get warned by a moderator/admin with a BIG **** complex..
The "other" site has some great people and even a couple of good mods.

I understand the difficult position they are are in as they have *way* too many sponsors that sell competing products and they are trying to make sure that all them have a level ground to compete on, but I think in that zealousness to foster parity they sometimes stifle legitimate feedback.

Just my .02.

Quick Reply: GRRR WTF.....TT problems I guess..