Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Still No Oil Pressure???? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMahar28
Well i got the new SLP oil pump today. Put the new O-Ring in made sure it was installed correctly. I took the oil filter off to see if there was any oil pressure at all if there was it would come shooting out. Well i cranked it didn't start the car yet no oil pressure at all. Im going to just put it back together and start it too see if it builds any oil pressure at all. The question i have is the car has been sitting for over 4 months I live in New York I started at the very end of sept until Middle of Jan Temp has been cold lately around 35 or colder the past 2 months before that maybe a high of 45 well putting the heads on etc no start ups at all for those 4 months.Is it possible the oil is to thick and that is why im not seeing any oil pressure when cranking it over the way i have been doing it? I didn't mention this before but i did start the car before and didn't see any oil pressure it was right at Zero this was about 2 weeks ago. The only thing that made me take the car apart was because the O-ring wasn't installed correctly i think. So im at the point were i didn't want to hurt the internals that's why i have just been cranking the car with the oil filter off that's why i was wondering is it possible the oil is to thick ????? I really dont know what else it could be i didn't mess around with the pick up tube at all im just really lost at this point.
Thanks Scott
I don't think cranking it over with no oil filter is a good idea.
I also doubt your oil is too thick.Check the level though and make sure it's full and fairly clean.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by molson
I don't think cranking it over with no oil filter is a good idea.
I also doubt your oil is too thick.Check the level though and make sure it's full and fairly clean.
Keep us posted.
What kind of damage can happen cranking it with no oil filter???? Yeah oil is full and has around 2,500 miles. Im running out of options. If I start the car and still no oil pressure then what???
Thanks Scott
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

When I recently did my head/cam swap, I installed a new ported and polished LS6 oil pump. Before I put the oil pump on the motor, I poured a little engine oil in the pickup tube hole and turned the rotors a little to cover all the gears with oil. This primes the oil pump and also keeps the pump from gaulding from a dry start up. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bfhawki
When I recently did my head/cam swap, I installed a new ported and polished LS6 oil pump. Before I put the oil pump on the motor, I poured a little engine oil in the pickup tube hole and turned the rotors a little to cover all the gears with oil. This primes the oil pump and also keeps the pump from gaulding from a dry start up. Hope this helps.
Ill have to give that a shot and see what happens.
Thank you
Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Does any know how i can get a hold of a Oiling system schematic how the oil traveks from start to finish for the LS1 or LS6???? Or even a manual where i can buy one for a 01 Z06?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Does any know how i can get a hold of a Oiling system schematic how the oil traveks from start to finish for the LS1 or LS6???? Or even a manual where i can buy one for a 01 Z06?
Here you go

As you can see the oil goes from the pan to the pump to the filter then to the top of the motor.

With no filter you will not see any pressure because the sending unit is located @ the top of the engine.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by molson
Here you go

As you can see the oil goes from the pan to the pump to the filter then to the top of the motor.

With no filter you will not see any pressure because the sending unit is located @ the top of the engine.
Well what im trying to do is see if the oil pump is making any pressure. Because every time i crank it over it seems like the oil pump isn't getting any oil. It seems like the oil pick up tube isn't picking up any oil from the pan. The car is on Jack stands just in the front and I posted possible the oil has been sitting for 4 months and looks pretty thick so the pick up tube isn't picking any oil up to get to the oil pump. Im going to take the oil pump out and prime it with oil and put some fresh warm 5W30 oil in. I didn't screw around with the pick up tube so i wouldn't think anything would be wrong with that??? If this doesn't work im going to put the car back together and put a engine lubber and blow oil though the system so when I start it everything is lube with oil so it won't hurt anything and hopefully it will make pressure. If anyone can think of anything else that might be goinng wrong let me know that would be a big help.

Thanks Scott
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Well tonight was night I got oil pressure=) Well first thing I did was prime the oil pump with some oil. Then took the oil sending unit off from the back of the intake manifold. I took a small funnel and stuck it where the oil pressure sending unit was and started to pour oil into the hole this step took a long time because the oil keeped bubbling up and making the oil come back up. Then i took the 6.5 quarts of oil I purchased put .5 oil into the oil filter. Put the oil filter on. Then took the 6 quarts of oil and put it into the engine. Then got inside the car and started cranking her over for about 15 secs did this about 5 times then there was pressure. Just want to say thanks for all the help on this. This experience makes me not want to tear down another engine but unfortunately when you either rebuild a engine or start taking things a part you are going to have problems like this sometimes. I did my transam and had no problems at all. I guess i just got unlucky this time around but im glad everything worked out. Now the fun part is putting her back together a second time around.
Thanks Scott
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Smile

Congrats on the oil pressure!! Have a good time putting it back together.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Congrats!!....You must be really relieved.

So I guess there was no real problem??

Do you think priming the pump did the trick ??
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool deal.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you got it fixed!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks again for all the help. Quick question is it good to start the car when its colder than 10 outside?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks again for all the help. Quick question is it good to start the car when its colder than 10 outside?
Only if you get the oil temp up to full operating temperature.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Only if you get the oil temp up to full operating temperature.
True, which would take about 15minutes or longer to get up to proper temp. In that temp, it may take even longer.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Living in New York sucks in the winter time =(

Quick Reply: Still No Oil Pressure???? HELP!!!!