Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

c5 z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 z06

hey guys. i've been on the boards for a while and have always read tech on f-bodies. i own a 98 SS, i'm familiar with their weak points, strengths, and so on. here's the deal, i'm looking to get myself into a nice c5 z06. i'm only 20 yrs. old but i'm responsible with my cars etc. so guys here are the questions that i hope u all could help me out with.

what does the average c5 z06 go for? with decent miles, nothing too low.
six speed.

where can i start looking (boards, classifieds, etc.) for the best deals.

i just want to be pointed in the right direction by guys who own these cars and are more familiar with them than i am. thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

look in the for sale section on corvetteforum.com.... I am glad that there is gonna be another young FRC vette owner on ls1 tech... I was still 19 when I bought mine.

You can expect to pay about 25-40 ish depending on whether it is a 01 or 02 and up, mileage and condition. You can also try looking on craigs list, or ebay. You will love your car when you find one that is right for you. I went from a 98 z 28 and havent looked back since, there is such a differance. I would also look into the Fixed Roof Coupe vettes, the zo6 is a FRC technically, but they are 01 and later, the 99 and 00 FRC are the same body as the zo6, but they have ls1 motors, less options usually, and no brake, scoops, badges, or any of the flashy z06 stuff, these cars can be had for 17-28k usually and are a great way to go, especially if you plan on modding, because it saves you money for mods, and if you go with aftermarket h/c etc like I am there the only thing that the z06 has on it is the visual stuff, which is an easy fix too.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot for the reply. I have been looking at the 99-00 FRC's because, as you mentioned, they have the same body style. The downside is that they still have the LS1 engine. The main reason why the Z06 grabbed my attention wasn't because of the fancy options, more due to the powerful LS6. I have an LS1 now, I could use that nice bump in HP from the factory. I would definitely mod it though, so maybe the LS1 won't be too bad. I have a lot more research to do. I love Vette's, they're gorgeous cars. I will have one, I just need to my research and find what's right for me. Just like you mentioned, I don't think I'll look back once I find the one.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a young man trying to move up in the LSX world? Please let me know your input and opinions on what would be a smart buy. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take your time, some are getting the Z06 for mid to high 20k, and that's with not to bad of mileage. Remember these cars are/were designed to be 200k cars, so anything under 100k is low mileage as long as it has been taken care of. Good luck, you won't regret getting a z06.
Robert
Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by musclebird69
hey guys. i've been on the boards for a while and have always read tech on f-bodies. i own a 98 SS, i'm familiar with their weak points, strengths, and so on. here's the deal, i'm looking to get myself into a nice c5 z06. i'm only 20 yrs. old but i'm responsible with my cars etc. so guys here are the questions that i hope u all could help me out with.

what does the average c5 z06 go for? with decent miles, nothing too low.
six speed.

where can i start looking (boards, classifieds, etc.) for the best deals.

i just want to be pointed in the right direction by guys who own these cars and are more familiar with them than i am. thanks!

Excellent choice! The price will be best around the winter months, and based partly on where you plan on buying. I have seen $25-$40K based on just where the car was selling. You have to shop around though, and I am saying that after my wife made an appointment to go see a specific car, the first Z06 I looked at, and the Z06 I currently drive...

BTW Z06 only come in 6 speeds. 2002+ have a little more options and a little more HP (but that is still figuring the !driver mod)... We got our car for a great deal with 29k on the clock; we just lucked out on a few specifics...

My wife found our car at a dealership on Autotrader. We paid $6k less than they were asking on AT and $9k less then the sticker they had on the car on the lot. Like I said though we had special circumstances that helped with our getting the price we got...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Here is an example: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1608577
Old 01-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Launching!

I was 20 when I got my first Vette (00 FRC), Im 21 and now have a 01 Z06 and love it. Go to the corvetteforum or keep and eye on the classifieds here. If your willing to travel you can get a better deal if you wait for it.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question...FRC Fixed Roof Coupe....the roof is NOT removable
Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BitViper
Quick question...FRC Fixed Roof Coupe....the roof is NOT removable
Correct. Not removable... FRC can also stand for Factory Race Car...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

They are sweet cars and I don't want to be a downer but there are some things to consider before you (possibly) put yourself pretty far in debt. If you're still a student of any sort and not able to work full time and owe alot on the car, you could be spending every cent you have just to keep up with payments. For me, I can't drive the car year round so I have to consider getting a winter beater, and parking it at work is sometimes a problem due to ground clearance and other issues. There are alot of things to consider other than just "can I make the monthly payment" I bought mine last year at 21 and even given my relatively limited use, I don't regret it at all because I considered these things before taking the plunge. A bunch of my friends bought cars based on impulse and just being able to afford it, and have had to sell the cars or don't enjoy them nearly as much as they could have. If you still want one, look around and take a look at as many as you can before deciding. If you don't have a whole list of specific colors/options etc. don't jump in to anything because it's available right now, they made a whole lot of these cars so finding one shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got my 03 z06 a couple months back. i had a real nice 99 camaro that was all done up. H/C 400 hp car show winner. was worth 30,000+ got hit by a dumbass 16 year old. boy was that a shitty time in my life. i sued and got about 20 grand back. sucks but atleast i got something. put that money down on a brand new Z06 for 34,000. couldn't be happier. I have a well paying job for my age, 20. and making the payments no problem. i wouldn't recommend getting a z06 if you dont think you can make the payments like turbo said. having all your money go towards payments, thats no fun! these cars are something else. im very proud to be a young Z06 owner
Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Here is another place you can find a used c5z http://www.z06vette.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I actually found mine when I picked up corvette trader. I was really wanted a EB z06. Then I came across a guy going through a divorce. Ended up buying a 02 yellow Z with 19k for 31k. There are deals out there, just have to keep looking and take your time. As others have stated winter is the best time to buy one, they seam to be cheaper. Like buying a snowmobile in summer. Do your research also. Like the 01z has a tad less power then the 02-04. And the 01-02 have alum shift forks, which sometimes break.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey buddy i am on the same boat... i am waiting to turn 25 in a few months so that my insurance goes way low and then i am going to shop around for my Z06. I currently have a few toys but i really can fade away from loving the vette. i have driven quite a few and the feeling is so much different from a f-body....GOOD luck!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Very good choice sir. I was only 19 by a couple days when I purchased my black 02 z06. It had 45k miles and I paid 26k to give u an idea on price. I LOVE the car, sold my z28 with cam and bolt ons, but the vette is a whole different animal. Plus with intake and exhaust it is already faster I am in college and only work 30 hours a week as a waiter and have no problem, in fact less then 3 grand until she is all mine... Go for it, just wait for a good deal, oh and I found my car on autotrader, you will not regret it one bit.

Quick Reply: c5 z06