Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Decent upgrade for C5 to C6 Z06 parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent upgrade for C5 to C6 Z06 parts?

Hey guys, I've been looking at various upgrades for the C5. I found a few vendors selling OEM C6 Z06 parts at a fantastic price.

I will eventually get the full brake kit sometime down the road, but I also saw the C6 Z06 shocks for a great price as well. Are the shocks a decent upgrade over the stock C5 FRC shocks? Or do you guys think an aftermarket vendor would be the best option? I'm going to upgrade the swaybars as well, but I will most likely be going with the GM T1 swaybars, as they look MUCH thicker and supposedly perform a lot better than the C6 Z06 swaybars. But if the performance difference isn't that big between the two, I would be happy with the C6 Z06 swaybars if they are WORTH upgrading to from the stock C5 FRC's. What about the leaf springs, has anyone seen a place where I can get the C6 Z06 leaf springs? I can't seem to find leaf springs at any vendor at all.

Any other parts that you guys see I could benefit from?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont get the c6z shocks... they are great for that car... not ours, your car will like the c5z or the bilstein (I have the bilsteins) my car is slammed all of the way to the ground and they are still great, all though it is a very very rough ridein that set up, the T1's are great and are the way to go
Old 01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, thanks.

I was also looking at the Bilsteins, I was hoping they would be a decent upgrade for the C5's. They aren't too expensive either. So I will probably go with Bilstein shocks, GM-T1 Swaybars, and I'm undecided on leaf springs.

Actually, I'm a bit confused. What did the C5 Z06's have for leaf springs? Were the front standard Z51 and the rear a Z06 specific leaf spring?

I found these leaf springs that looked like an excellent upgrade, but it's the first I've seen of them...

Hyperco Composite C5 Leaf Springs (Click Me)

What do you think?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

For leaf springs I'd go with VBP. Those guys make some great suspension parts for 'Vettes.

You might want to read this article.

Vette Mag
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

That was a fantastic article, thank you!

I just started getting VETTE magazine for XMas, missed out on that Nov 06' issue. Can you tell me all the mods they had done to that car?

Thanks again, I'll take a look at the VBP stuff you mentioned.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Trying to research different springs rates and what would be my best option when I'm in the market.

Apparently, VBP will adjust the spring rates to your own specifications? Seems there are a lot of people in the following forum thread that are running some pretty intense spring rates for their Vettes by VBP.

Click Me

If that's the case, suppose I could call up VBP and ask them what they recommend for spring rates that would be well worth upgrading to.

Quick Reply: Decent upgrade for C5 to C6 Z06 parts?