Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Are there any 18 gauge headers for C6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are there any 18 gauge headers for C6?

Most headers manufacturers don't list the weight or tube gauge of their headers. 18 gauge vs. 16 or 14 gauge tubes will flow more and weight less with a given tube size. When made from stainless steel the tubes are not going to rust or corrode anyway so seems to me the 18 gauge is the way to go. If you run some numbers for flow area, a 1 3/4" tube from 18 gauge will flow about 9% more than a 14 gauge header. 1.652 ID verses a 1.584. A 16 is gauge some where in the middle.

Also I feel that 409 stainless steel is the right way to go. Plain steel ceramic coated headers could possible rust and corrode in time. Particularly if porting and clean up is required or there are any installation scratches. The 409 and 304 are not going to rust. 409 can exhibit some very light rusting but certainly nothing that will cause a problem. 409 cuts much easier than 304 and lends itself much better for porting and cleanup. I've used many brands of headers in past 20 years and all required some porting and/or cleanup before installation.

Don't care to go with 1 7/8 either. They have to weigh more and take up more room. Although they flow more my engine is virtually stock so the larger 1 7/8" is not needed.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the modding bug sure didn't take long to bite, did it Larry? Don't know much about header sizes, so I'll wait for someone who knows something to chime in. Good luck on your purchases, and when you decide what's the best combo (thickness vs diameter vs wt) let us know.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, nice times in the new ride...very impressive for stock! Congrats!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DocT
BTW, nice times in the new ride...very impressive for stock! Congrats!
Thanks but I had an MTI Xcelerator CAI on it and a tune for that 12.34.

Yep, looks like the mods are fixing to start. I sure hope I don't get too carried away like I did with the Camaro.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I knew the mod bug would bite sooner or later. I went with the stainless 1 7/8 Kooks on mine. I weighed the car before & after on the HRP scale exactly the same. I made sure I had the same amount of gas & gear aboard prior to weighing. I picked up hp & tq across the graph, along with a nice sound & SOTP feel. I would stick with the Kooks or AR stainless offerings, fit & finish 2nd to none. BTW I went with the 3" x-pipe & high flow cats as well. I also picked up a solid 3 tenths in the 1/4 in worse conditions. Headers are a must do mod on the Vette. Good luck Larry!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

TTT My first post isn't showing up ???????????????
Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Undecided
TTT My first post isn't showing up ???????????????
Been back to the track lately Aric? Any new bests?

Do you think our engines will benefit from 1 7/8 vs. 1 3/4? If a stock heads/cam engine will flow just as good with 1 3/4 I would prefer them. They should provide more clearance and possibly easy of installation. Are your Kooks 304 or 409 stainless? With 1 7/8 the gauge doesn't make much difference concerning flow but could add weight if a very heavy gauge. Aparently yours are close to factory weight.

I have been unable to find out much about headers. May have to call some of the manufactuers to find out more. Without visual inspection don't know how much porting would be required. That's a real benefit of 409.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

SLP headers where coated 409 stainless and they do rust. 304 is so much better.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

If you go with the Kooks there is no need for porting, the flanges are slick with smooth transitions into the primaries. MTI did some testing on the 2 sizes & found there was no differences between them, so they only carry the 1 7/8. Keep in mind you're dealing with a larger bore than the Camaro had, so the larger primaries can benefit in the upper rpm range. Besides I have a feeling your modding won't stop here, these cars respond all to well to bolt ons.

I haven't made it back out to the track since the 12.20, been busy with work & coaching my son's t-ball team. I've got some "parts headed my way, so I'll be out soon.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Undecided
If you go with the Kooks there is no need for porting, the flanges are slick with smooth transitions into the primaries. MTI did some testing on the 2 sizes & found there was no differences between them, so they only carry the 1 7/8. Keep in mind you're dealing with a larger bore than the Camaro had, so the larger primaries can benefit in the upper rpm range. Besides I have a feeling your modding won't stop here, these cars respond all to well to bolt ons.

I haven't made it back out to the track since the 12.20, been busy with work & coaching my son's t-ball team. I've got some "parts headed my way, so I'll be out soon.
I picked up a set of the 1 7/8 Kooks from Jason yesterday.

They do need some minor porting. The porting needed won't produce any more hp on my engine but I like smooth passages. Where the cones are welded into the collector the weld spills over. I have a long carbide burr that I use to clean this weld.

What do you have coming? Supercharger?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I'm suprised that you found rough welds in the collectors, mine were clean through out. The header install is an easy job with a lift.

I'm not much of a supercharger fan, even though the results on the C6's are unbelievable! I've always leaned toward nitrous when it comes to power adders, it's light & immediate. I'll keep you posted on my new upgrades. Shhhhhhhh!

Quick Reply: Are there any 18 gauge headers for C6?