Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

HUGE DECISIONS: Should I trade my '06 GTO in on an '01 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. Ditch that GTO asap. How are you going to make an overweight heffer look so smooth?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

I'd take a clean Zo6 any day!

The seats in the Zo6 are better than the standard C5 and sport seats.

I'd honestly say that the stock C5Zo6 seats are the best I've been in, including the '04 and '05 GTO's I've driven...

If those minor body issues are the only real killers (could've happened right before trade-in) then I'd do it...

I've had mine for two weeks now and it just screams SEX!!! Then rolling around with my blond girlfriend it all matches.... Zo6
Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
The seats in the Zo6 are better than the standard C5 and sport seats.
How so??? I always thought the seats in the ZO6 were the same as the "standard" C5 seats which are NOT up to par with the C5 "Sport" seats. My body told me they were at least when I was sitting in them.

*edit* After some quick searching, the C5 ZO6 seats are BASE corvette seats with "ZO6" stitching in the headrest. Sport seats are where it's at.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read through half of this but one thing's for sure. Never give your trade in to a dealer, unless you have no other way to get out of a finance. I am sure that you'll sell for more on a private sale, and you should come out on top in the $$ dept.
I have no opinion on which car to choose though.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

umm.. maybe if it was an 02 or newer with under 20k miles on it....

you can get 50k 02 Z06's for around 26k all over the place... your goat is worth WAYYYYY more than that.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Drive the vette. You may be surprised. You'll be taking a serious step down in terms of interior fit, finish, and noise. I'm not knocking the Vette at all (I do own one obviously), but after buying mine and spending a lot of time in my buddies 05 GTO too, I feel that you simply can't compare a C5 and 04+ GTO. They're two completely different cars with different uses and feels. The only way you're going to know if you want to make that move is by spending time in both.

If it was me, I'd keep the GTO (don't tell my buddy I said that).
Thats what it comes down to guys. They're two totally different cars, and I just happen to prefer what the GTO is over what the C5 Z06 is. The Z is a performer, plain and simple, but while the GTO is less of that its far more of a well rounded car IMO, and the interior fit and finish just seals the deal for me. Honestly I dont even know that if it was a 04 Z06 that I'd take an even trade. That Z06 would have to be pristine.

I think I'll save my Z06 buy for a few years when I can slip into an 03 or 04 for a little less and still hang on to the GTO. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Im glad your keeping your gto! I F'ing love that car!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

ZO6>GTO however you're talking about an older car with A LOT more miles and is damaged.

I absolutely LOVE your GTO between the color and the rims...it's f'in gorgeous. If the ZO6 was a little newer and had less miles it'd be a no brainer. I'm going to agree with some other people here and say AT LEAST test drive it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the way you describe the vette with the performance mods on it and cracked front bumper, DON'T BUY IT! That car has been beat to **** and possibly even wrecked worse than it appears. If it was a 01 with low miles maybe, 02-04 with low miles, then yes but not this 01 vette. Don't even waste your time going back and driving it. Keep the Gto till you can find a nice low mile Z06.

The Z06 gets just as good gas mileage as your Gto if not better and is nice riding enough to use as a DD. Plus for sure in the long run will hold it value alot better than a GTO. It's a Vette!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Well this is simply from a guy who loves racin and has a few other cars as daily drivers..

Id take a 70 K mile 2001 Z06 over a brand new GTO any day of the week..

When im out huntin and I see a GTO roll up I smirk and wonder if it's even worth the gas..The car is plain ugly/heavy..If it's an LS1 it's probaly runnin 13.5..If it's an LS2 it's probally runnin a 13.1. In eighter case that was fast 2 years ago but nonthin now adays.

If a C5Z06 rolls up I think Danm nice ride and a true challanger. The most beautiful corvette ever made IMHO as well as 12.6 if the 01 modeland 12.4 if the 02-04 model. Still fast by todays stadards. Not quite the monster itwas 2 years ago but still damn fast.

So basically your comparing the ugliest/slowest LSX car to the second fastest /most beautiful LSX car...

As for the interior their both pretty nice IMHO..But just say screw it and buy a benz if thats what your after????

I know you love your GTO but honestly when it comes to street cred the GTO is on the lower shelf by quite a bit.

GET THE Z06 AND TAKE YOUR FIRST STEP INTO THE TRUE ENTHUSIAST WORLD
Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See other post in other forum.... but you should keep the goat.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killemall
Well this is simply from a guy who loves racin and has a few other cars as daily drivers..

Id take a 70 K mile 2001 Z06 over a brand new GTO any day of the week..

When im out huntin and I see a GTO roll up I smirk and wonder if it's even worth the gas..The car is plain ugly/heavy..If it's an LS1 it's probaly runnin 13.5..If it's an LS2 it's probally runnin a 13.1. In eihter case that was fast 2 years ago but nonthin now adays.

If a C5Z06 rolls up I think Danm nice ride and a true challanger. The most beautiful corvette ever made IMHO as well as 12.6 if the 01 modeland 12.4 if the 02-04 model. Still fast by todays stadards. Not quite the monster it was 2 years ago but still damn fast.

So basically your comparing the ugliest/slowest LSX car to the second fastest /most beautiful LSX car...

As for the interior their both pretty nice IMHO..But just say screw it and buy a benz if thats what your after????

I know you love your GTO but honestly when it comes to street cred the GTO is on the lower shelf by quite a bit.

GET THE Z06 AND TAKE YOUR FIRST STEP INTO THE TRUE ENTHUSIAST WORLD
I am usually the first one to say bad things about a GTO. I agree with you on most of what you say but in this case he would of gotten hosed big time on that deal. If it was a clean low mile, stock Z06 then hell yeah.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

That's a tough choice... but I think I'd stick with the GTO, since you bought it new. It sounds like that's what you want to do anyway.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm trying to move from an A4 GTO to a C5 Z06 but I would not trade your car with those wheels for an 01 in that condition.

Your car with the wheels for a low mileage 03/04 with GMPP warranty, yes.

Just my opinion though....
Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Launching!

Dude Id take a salvage title 2001 Z06 over the LS2 GTO any day of the week...

Ive got a buddy with a supercharged 700 rwhp GTS viper..It's a salvage title. But it was repaired and looks gorgeos and runs like a beaste.

The point is that no one says look at so and so's repaired viper/z06. No one even knows unless you tell them..All they say is WOW look at that nice ride!!!!

With the GTO they say man thats ugly and what a discrace to the origional...

Id still pick up the Z06. It's the next step up man...

My Viper had Horrible two toned paint when i first got it..Pretty sure it had been in an acident even though everything looked clean on the paperwork. But here in hawaii Vipers are HARD to come by, so I picked it up while I had the chance.

Painted it allback to the origional red and now I constantly have people think she's brand new..

The C5Z06 he's thinking about getting would be no different. Only the most trained eyes would no it was an 02 or had been in an wreck. The average Joe would think it was a 04 and nearly new....

Not saying he has to get that one but I just cant stand it when people ask this kind of questions...

It's like a guy in a 2007 C6 coupe asking if he should trade for an 03 Viper/06Z06...

UMMM yea. The cars are faster/better handling/better looking/more expensive/rarer yada yada yada...

But he still ask????
Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killemall
Dude Id take a salvage title 2001 Z06 over the LS2 GTO any day of the week...

Ive got a buddy with a supercharged 700 rwhp GTS viper..It's a salvage title. But it was repaired and looks gorgeos and runs like a beaste.

The point is that no one says look at so and so's repaired viper/z06. No one even knows unless you tell them..All they say is WOW look at that nice ride!!!!

With the GTO they say man thats ugly and what a discrace to the origional...

Id still pick up the Z06. It's the next step up man...

My Viper had Horrible two toned paint when i first got it..Pretty sure it had been in an acident even though everything looked clean on the paperwork. But here in hawaii Vipers are HARD to come by, so I picked it up while I had the chance.

Painted it allback to the origional red and now I constantly have people think she's brand new..

The C5Z06 he's thinking about getting would be no different. Only the most trained eyes would no it was an 02 or had been in an wreck. The average Joe would think it was a 04 and nearly new....

Not saying he has to get that one but I just cant stand it when people ask this kind of questions...

It's like a guy in a 2007 C6 coupe asking if he should trade for an 03 Viper/06Z06...

UMMM yea. The cars are faster/better handling/better looking/more expensive/rarer yada yada yada...

But he still ask????
I totally agree with you on what you have to say about the GTO. Everybody has there own opinions on the GTO. Some good some bad.

Now as to what your are saying with a 700rwhp Viper with a salvage title. Did you save money buying the car, yes. Then you put decent money into the car to make it right. Although when it comes time to sell the car, it will not be worth crap! I would never buy a salvage titled car and when you sell the car it has to be dislcloed that it has a salvage title.. Does it look good to the naked eye, hell yeah, but it is what is underneath that matters. As far as I am concerned that car will never be right. Being a salvage title means that car was hit or wrecked beyond what the car was worth and for a viper that is alot. To each is own.

I bought my 02 Z06 with 6200 miles for $34k. Now I would pay more for a low mile car that was never driven than for a slavage titled car or one with higher miles on it. I look at a vette or even a viper as an investment. That Z06 was a bad investment and a bad car, as everyone else does too. GTO or not, he would of gotten screwed and I would hate to see this guy get dicked over by the dealer. That is what this thread was about. Glad he didn't get it. Smart move by him.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Well I some what agree..It's just that every time I think of some one rolling a GTO a tear rolls down my face...I mean DAYUM

Anyways..Ill leave it at that..Hope he finds a nice Z06 to trade to
Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, somebody hates GTO's more than me. Cheers!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Since you already have the GTO, all fixed up, I say no. If you had to choose and didn't own either already, I'd say go for the Z06. Quicksilver Z06s are a dime a dozen, and while they are quick and a headturner, not the type of car you need for everyday driving. The overall design of the Vette interior is great, but the materials and fit/finish really are a joke. I think the GTOs are probably more solid too, just riding around town. I think you're making the right decision keeping your car.

Quick Reply: HUGE DECISIONS: Should I trade my '06 GTO in on an '01 Z06?