Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette 1%er

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehehehe...blew up my perfectly good LS6 @ 15k miles pushiing it past it's limits...hehehe. How does the waxer crowd like them apples?

The two forums I go to are LS1tech and Corvetteforum, with ls1tech being my favorite for sure. Why, because the of the tech and good debates. Over at CF in FI section (which is the best there) the misinformation concerning nitrous never ceases to amaze me, and it's been going on like that for years. I tell the guys if they want the real story, come on over to tech.

Now with said, I also am guilty of hanging out in the waxer section , as I owned a Blk '97 coupe and needed info. So the vetteforum is great also, but the clientel differs from the tech guys for sure. Pure gear-head stuff=ls1tech, general vette stuff=corvetteforum. The performance sections, the FI sections and drag sections (and Z06 sections) are great at CF for gear heads. The other thing I like about this site, no one points out my spelling errors.

The one thing about modding the vette, save your original parts and ya can allways convert back to stock when sale time comes, that's what I do. Proud to be a 1%'er.
Robert
Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you guys know that a dealership CANNOT void your warrenty because of mods? If you bring it in with a problem they HAVE TO PROVE that the modifications you made caused the failure. I read that in a Performance Magazine about modding a warrentied car. GM lost a suit against them for that very thing. My buddies' '04 Comp G is HEAVILY modded and STILL get's work done under his extended warrenty. He's had a tranny replaced and a couple other things. i don't know. maybe it's not true but i hope that article wasn't made up. I LOVE to mod my cars. Regardless of what old guys think. I get lots of looks being 23 and having a modded C5 definatley a 1%er....
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561152602

I just had to share. The interweb is a place to show off how smart you are. Especially in car tech forums.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:07 AM
FormerVendor

I am DEFINITELY a 1%er! See sig.

Tore apart the dash on my 07 Escalade the 2nd day I had it to install a few mods. Just waiting on a decent blower kit for the truck and then that's going on.

I have similar plans for a new Z06 when I finally buy one. Except that will probably get headers, exhaust, and a cam right away.

Yes, we may be the 1%. But that number is growing, and there is nothing wrong with modding. Unless done terribly wrong, mods do not decrease the value of the car, and you can often get *something* back for the money you put into mods. The rest of it I consider an investment in fun.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AintQik
Ok, I know some of you guys hang out on the crovetteforum too so I won't be too offensive. But, many, many of the people over there are a bunch of midlife crisis, suit wearing, can't change their friggin oil, worried about warranty, cold air thinking its the ****, non wrenching jerk offs I've had the dis-priviledge of talking to. Over here you get much more tech and better questions. I'm sick to damn death of listening to these not hot rodding people.

Anyway, I was just told that people who mod C6s are, "like 1%" of the population and it was intended to be an insult.

Coming from the Harley world that kinda struck me as cool. I'm a Corvette 1%er. I mod my crap and don't care. I don't want GM fixing my car unless its something like a door lock. Old guys coming from the country club in their tricked out mid-life crisis C6 look at me and sneer. My car shakes and lopes and smells bad and sounds like a sewing machine. I'm proud, I like it. I think we should start a club, who's in? I nominate me President of the Corvette 1%er club. I think this could go someplace. We would have rules, like if you ask what cold air intake is the best we get to kick you in the coin purse. If you ask what is the best cam in the world without giving us intended purpose or motor, or weights, or tranny we get to kick you in the jimmy sack and you get banned. I'm changing my sig right now~!
I had longtubes, heads, Vararam and Borlas sitting in my living room for three months before I even picked up the Vette - which I picked up new from the showroom floor.

I traded in an '02 modded black SS with an M6. That car had some *****. There was no way in hell I was going to climb into a new A4 Vette and have it be less balsy than my Camaro. So I planned ahead and started buying mod parts before I even picked up the car. I think there was less than 1K miles onn the car when I took it into McGee's here in Portland, OR for the header/heads install.

Bash CF all you like. Its not for everyone, but I will definately say this. Had it not been for the CF, I wouldn't have known which parts to get for the Vette. There is a good deal of experience over there, and there is some very Vette specific stuff that you won't find anywhere else.

Interesting side note - I've been a member of this forum longer than CF (going on three years now), but I can probably count on two hands the number of posts I've made on LS1tech. I use LS1tech as an inventory of gearhead info. Guys are usually trying new stuff here first.

I've been lurking the hell out of this site for the past 9 months or so, reading up on all of the L92/L76 I can find. An L92/L76 427 will be my next mod. I've finally gotten FI out of my head and am 427 bound.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

This morning I was in my apartment when I heard some kid getting excited about a vette in the parking lot. He was like wow cool dad look at that corvette and he says yeah but its no good. It sounds like crap....its the worst sounding vette I have ever heard. I started laughing on my couch. I guess he doesnt like the sound of a 237/242 cam idling at 900rpm. I guess to some one who knew nothing about cars it would sound like it was going to stall lol.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AintQik
Ok, I know some of you guys hang out on the crovetteforum too so I won't be too offensive. But, many, many of the people over there are a bunch of midlife crisis, suit wearing, can't change their friggin oil, worried about warranty, cold air thinking its the ****, non wrenching jerk offs I've had the dis-priviledge of talking to. Over here you get much more tech and better questions. I'm sick to damn death of listening to these not hot rodding people.

Anyway, I was just told that people who mod C6s are, "like 1%" of the population and it was intended to be an insult.

Coming from the Harley world that kinda struck me as cool. I'm a Corvette 1%er. I mod my crap and don't care. I don't want GM fixing my car unless its something like a door lock. Old guys coming from the country club in their tricked out mid-life crisis C6 look at me and sneer. My car shakes and lopes and smells bad and sounds like a sewing machine. I'm proud, I like it. I think we should start a club, who's in? I nominate me President of the Corvette 1%er club. I think this could go someplace. We would have rules, like if you ask what cold air intake is the best we get to kick you in the coin purse. If you ask what is the best cam in the world without giving us intended purpose or motor, or weights, or tranny we get to kick you in the jimmy sack and you get banned. I'm changing my sig right now~!
Of course you learn to love these guys when you pull up next to them and blow the doors off their C6. Yeah man, its just an LS1 with an exhaust leak, is something wrong with your car?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

I guess I'm part of the 1%'ers. I pulled up to a local gas station to fill up my C5, there happened to be a very clean C4 at the pump behind me. I said hi to the owner and said nice car. He didn't even say hi or nice car etc. He immediately went to "why would you put a hood and exhaust on that car". He was visibly upset. He then proceeded to tell me I ruined a nice car and that my "generation" has no respect for things. Now, at this point I got REALLY mad. I'm 27, not some punk 18yr old. I tried to be respectful but I doubt I was. I fired back with "Well, that's certainly your opinion, don't hate on me because I'm 27 with a nice C5 that I actually WORK on that's not only faster but gets more recognition. You're what? In your late 50's driving a low tech C4? Mid-life crisis car? Sorry to hear that sir. Maybe YOUR generation needs to get a clue". I don't like being nasty like that but I don't appreciate dumbfucks being ********. Oh well.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Sounds good but not you for president. Thats how Hitler started.
Road Pilot
Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
I guess I'm part of the 1%'ers. I pulled up to a local gas station to fill up my C5, there happened to be a very clean C4 at the pump behind me. I said hi to the owner and said nice car. He didn't even say hi or nice car etc. He immediately went to "why would you put a hood and exhaust on that car". He was visibly upset. He then proceeded to tell me I ruined a nice car and that my "generation" has no respect for things. Now, at this point I got REALLY mad. I'm 27, not some punk 18yr old. I tried to be respectful but I doubt I was. I fired back with "Well, that's certainly your opinion, don't hate on me because I'm 27 with a nice C5 that I actually WORK on that's not only faster but gets more recognition. You're what? In your late 50's driving a low tech C4? Mid-life crisis car? Sorry to hear that sir. Maybe YOUR generation needs to get a clue". I don't like being nasty like that but I don't appreciate dumbfucks being ********. Oh well.

Quick send this man a 1%er membership card..But just one thing Frosty .. I hate it when you sugar coat it like that .... please tell us how you really feel.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

There are quite a few guys over there that are/were pretty cool. Most of them left and went to DigitalCorvettes.com. The C3 tech guys mostly. I posted a thread in there about doing rear trailing arm bushings myself. I get Gary explaining how to do it and sends me the way he does it and then that is followed by like 20 posts telling me "if you haven't done it before, I wouldn't try it." How do we learn how to do something if we don't try it. That's how most of the reply post I get over there are. There are a few C5 tech guys like England Green that would hold mod parties at his house and have like 10+ guys over to help everybody mod everybodies cars. But there is just to much drama. You can't cuss or swear or anything. Even if you mean it in a good way. You can't discuss street racing or burning out or anything or you may get banned. That is why I enjoy sitting in DC, b/c Patrick lets a lot of stuff go, b/c he isn't going to babysit. The only thing is no personal attacks or your gone. Plus there is a KILL Section of there to discuss whatever races you get into. There are still those guys who say "Street racing is bad, blah blah blah." But they get flamed pretty quick.

Either way. I've just become a member here and love the all tech type sections. Very helpful.

My C3 isn't going to be a resale item. It is going to be mine.
My C5 was tuned the week after I bought it. Now I'm waiting to install my G5X3 cam, LG Pro headers, LS2 TC, P/Bp oil pump, UD Pulley and a few other things. Improvements are awesome and influential.

Josh
Corvette %1er
Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

thats awesome
Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Both sites have much to offer. I've noticed most of those that have discontent with CF or were asked to leave come back with remarks like "my C5 will beat the crap out of your C6" and so on. That’s exactly the attitude I tend to avoid.

I really enjoy working on my car and do track it when I have the time, but I don’t rip the guts out of my exhaust and drive around the movie theater on a Friday night revving my engine to 5K.

Want tech advice from some of the most experienced LS wrenches around? Come to LS1TECH (hence the TECH in the name).

Want to collaborate with a gauntlet of Corvette owners who take interest in ALL ASPECTS of the Corvette (appearance, care, maintenance, performance, etc) from MATURE 18 yr olds to 75 yr old men - CF has them all

To the original poster - walk out to your car and check again how to correctly spell Corvette.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

don't hate on me because I'm 27 with a nice C5 that I actually WORK on that's not only faster but gets more recognition. You're what? In your late 50's driving a low tech C4? Mid-life crisis car? Sorry to hear that sir. Maybe YOUR generation needs to get a clue". .
So you assume that any man that drives a C4 and is in his 50's "doesn't have a clue"? What if the gentlemen was an avid collector of cars, ran a multi-million dollar company, and just so happened wanted to take one from his collection out for a drive......What then? Is he less cool in your book?

I know what would happen then, you'd in turn be rude to him, "hating" if you will, for the simple fact that he had what you didn't.

Do you think he is really "hating" on you?

Come on man.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by valdeztke
So you assume that any man that drives a C4 and is in his 50's "doesn't have a clue"? What if the gentlemen was an avid collector of cars, ran a multi-million dollar company, and just so happened wanted to take one from his collection out for a drive......What then? Is he less cool in your book?

I know what would happen then, you'd in turn be rude to him, "hating" if you will, for the simple fact that he had what you didn't.

Come on man.
The guy was a dick head, and I would have handed him his lunch also, and am 50 myself. In our car club we have guys in there early 20's and all the way to older than me, and we have one thing in common, we like to mod the lsx platform.
Robert
Old 07-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by valdeztke

Come on man.
I would be disappointed because to me, it would appear that the C4 was a status buy. "I have millions of dollars, what car should I buy? Oh, everybody is getting those vettes, how about one of those?"

From where I come, people who buy these cars just to own them are a disappointment. I've been out there wrenching since I got my 75 back in 01. I've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in these cars and have loved every minute.

All I'm saying is, people have different ways to approach the ownership of the corvette. Don't bash on somebody for doing it there way. Before you say I am, think again. Do what you guys want. My disappointment is kept to myself when I see this stuff.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

ya, but they wouldn't let me have this as my avatar. What is so "suggestive" about this? They never even met my exhibisionist wife.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
ya, but they wouldn't let me have this as my avatar. What is so "suggestive" about this? They never even met my exhibisionist wife.

Dig the picture.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd157k

Quick Reply: Corvette 1%er