Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Long Tube Headers for C5's..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some graphs of LG Pro Longtube Headers Vs AR Vs Kooks go to www.lgmotorsports.com and check out the gallery. Click on last uploads ( I think ) or new uploads and you can see that LG's Pro longtube headers beat the competition. Especially in the midrange area. (area under the curve) Numbers were produced by independent shops. Not an in house set up for sales, I believe 21st century performance dyno'd one car back to back with only a header swap, and I can't recall the other shop. Go to the web site and read the graphs for your self.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FACT:

My dyno graph with the LG's done in the morning (cool) & then later on in the same day (warmer), w/ the KOOKS, showed the EXACT overlay from 2500-4000 rpms..

However, from 4000-7000 rpms, the KOOKS took off,
for a 10 RWHP & 8 TQ gain.

At the track, based on my previous time slips, & weather station/ET predictor, I gained .05 (faster), w/ the KOOKS...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YO-EL
FACT:

My dyno graph with the LG's done in the morning (cool) & then later on in the same day (warmer), w/ the KOOKS, showed the EXACT overlay from 2500-4000 rpms..

However, from 4000-7000 rpms, the KOOKS took off,
for a 10 RWHP & 8 TQ gain.

At the track, based on my previous time slips, & weather station/ET predictor, I gained .05 (faster), w/ the KOOKS...

That's strange, the graph shows neglegible differences. The LG Pro Longtubes made .5 hp PEAK more then kooks, but the measurable differences were in the Midrange. You are entitled to your opinion, I just read the graphs and let the independent data speak for itself. Maybe your car runs better in the heat. Time and time again LG vs Kooks on 346 ci motors made the same peak numbers but in the area under the curve is where LG's headers really shine. Go to the website and check it for yourself.

If I had something in the 427 ci or up range I would strongly consider the 1 7/8 Kooks but for a 346 ci'r 1 3/4 LG Pro Longtube headers got ya beat.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just re-checked the website and from 4000-5800 rpms the LG Pro longtube headers have a superior hp/tq advantage over the kooks. Dyno'd at 21 century performance. No affiliation with LG Motorsports, totally independent, and unbiased information.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Low- Mid range for me, the lines were right on top of each other..
At 4000 rpms, the blue line (KOOKS) separated above the Red (LG's) & stayed there to 7000.

I guess every car is different & yes the diff is negligable, but my car did definitely gain top end in ET w/ the KOOKS..
Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Low- Mid range for me, the lines were right on top of each other..
At 4000 rpms, the blue line (KOOKS) separated above the Red (LG's) & stayed there to 7000.

I guess every car is different & yes the diff is negligable, but my car did definitely gain top end in ET w/ the KOOKS..

Is that your personal car cars dyno or the one on LG's website ?? Just wondering. Can you post your graphs with LG's headers and overlay the Kooks ?? I'd love to see it.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

The 21st century shows Lg making more power low and mid with kooks making less then 1 hp more peak. Please post your graph. As I mentioned earlier I would love to see it. How about a little more on your setup too.

When you switched to Kooks all you changed was the headers right, you didn't throw on a U/D pully and forget to mention it did you. I only ask because I can't find one person or graph that shows Kook's making more power.

LG's low and Mid advantages outweigh the 1 hp peak difference that is shown on 21st century's dyno of LG pro longtubes vs Kooks longtubes.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Runs were done at 10 am and 5 pm. Same day, same car, same dyno. You must be the one exception to the rule.

Maybe you had a bad tune with the lg headers and your tuner corrected it with the install of the Kooks. I still advocate LG Pro Longtube headers for all 346 ci LSx motors. Better then the rest.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the LG pros for the FRC yesterday. I decided not to wait for the TSP LT's.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That exactly why I bought the Supermaxx headers over the LGs. I do not want to deal with slip fit exhaust. I found the 4 bolt flanges very easy to work with when I put mine on.

Originally Posted by Red99C5
I have Dynamaxx headers. Even though they fit great, if I was to do it again, I would go with LG pro's. Why? Because the 4 bolt collector flange on the Dynamaxx is a PITA, especially if you are running a wide band on a seperate bung.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Runs were done at 10 am and 5 pm. Same day, same car, same dyno. You must be the one exception to the rule.

Maybe you had a bad tune with the lg headers and your tuner corrected it with the install of the Kooks. I still advocate LG Pro Longtube headers for all 346 ci LSx motors. Better then the rest.
Dude, will you give it up already? Why do you feel the need to CONSTANTLY POST OVER AND OVER about the same damn thing? We heard ya the first 4 times...
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hmbre97
Dude, will you give it up already? Why do you feel the need to CONSTANTLY POST OVER AND OVER about the same damn thing? We heard ya the first 4 times...

Because YO-EL needs to look at the numbers from independent dynos and stop pushing Kooks as the header that makes more hp/tq when it doesn't. LG Pro Longtube Headers are the best headers for overall power. Done.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe Yo-El will post his graph to back up his ERROR.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

No problem with that..
I will post the dyno graphs in a few days...

Hey, if the KOOKS didn't out pull the LG's, I wouldn't be keeping them on.

I also had that promise from CARTEK, that if the numbers were not better on the dyno & on the track, they'd put the LG's back on..

The KOOKS stay.. 10 RWHP & 8 TQ top end & .05 quicker ET's once I made the switch..

Why would I lie..?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Seriously, have you ever thought that every car out there is going to respond different to different mods? You swear up and down that the LG headers will put out more power no matter what but you are basing this off results from ONE car that 21st Century dyno'ed... You're criticizing YO-EL for pushing Kooks based on his PERSONAL EXPERIENCE yet you are preaching the gospel based on one set of dyno sheets some shop posted on the web. Do you see how stupid that looks? I have yet to see you post up any proof besides your babble about the 21st Century car so STFU already. It's apparent enough you are a LG nut hugger just looking at your sig. This thread isn't helping that image out at all...
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hmbre97
Seriously, have you ever thought that every car out there is going to respond different to different mods? You swear up and down that the LG headers will put out more power no matter what but you are basing this off results from ONE car that 21st Century dyno'ed... You're criticizing YO-EL for pushing Kooks based on his PERSONAL EXPERIENCE yet you are preaching the gospel based on one set of dyno sheets some shop posted on the web. Do you see how stupid that looks? I have yet to see you post up any proof besides your babble about the 21st Century car so STFU already. It's apparent enough you are a LG nut hugger just looking at your sig. This thread isn't helping that image out at all...

I see we have real internet tough guy. First off its not just one car, it is hundreds of cars. Secondly its not every car it is 346 ci LS1's. Third I willingly admit that Kooks has had higher peak numbers in some instances but in every instance the low to midrange has been a walk away for the LG product. For some reason Kooks don't do what LG does in the midrange. That is also why I asked if YO-El's tune was off with the LG's on. I thought if the Kooks made so much more hp/tq everywhere maybe his car was off to begin with and would make more now that the tune is dead on if he put the LG's back on.

I have looked at page after page of cars with Lg Pro's and they have been anything from exhaust only to full h/c cars. LG out does the Kooks when all things are equal. Meaning if you are not running perfectly with the LGs in place, and you retune you car and add Kooks, I attribute the gains more to the tune improvement.

I will concede this much, as far as running more cubic inches, and/or putting a supercharger on your motor, I would go with the larger Kooks headers. Now ease off on the insults until you know who you are talking to. Have a nice day.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Teching In

I see we have real internet tough guy. First off its not just one car, it is hundreds of cars. Secondly its not every car it is 346 ci LS1's. Third I willingly admit that Kooks has had higher peak numbers in some instances but in every instance the low to midrange has been a walk away for the LG product. For some reason Kooks don't do what LG does in the midrange. That is also why I asked if YO-El's tune was off with the LG's on. I thought if the Kooks made so much more hp/tq everywhere maybe his car was off to begin with and would make more now that the tune is dead on if he put the LG's back on.

I have looked at page after page of cars with Lg Pro's and they have been anything from exhaust only to full h/c cars. LG out does the Kooks when all things are equal. Meaning if you are not running perfectly with the LGs in place, and you retune you car and add Kooks, I attribute the gains more to the tune improvement.

I will concede this much, as far as running more cubic inches, and/or putting a supercharger on your motor, I would go with the larger Kooks headers. Now ease off on the insults until you know who you are talking to. Have a nice day.
So where are these hundreds of dyno sheets from people who switched from Kooks to LGs or vice versa?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Hi guys,Just join to drop my 2cts worth.I just installed a set of LG streets on my 02 Z , There quality and fit is worthy of a iso9000 . The install went well (could have used a 2nd set of hands) now here's gripe about slip fit vs flanged. Since the install every time I get stuck in traffic I pop a code of 0420 (bank 1 poor response time) a bad cat. Now if it was flanged it would be a quick job to replace , but being slip fit it will be a pita.If everything was fine (but mr. murphy takes care of that) I wouldn't give slip fit or flanged a thought. Thanks John
Old 07-22-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Guys, look, here is my story & the dyno sheets will come later when I can scan them in..

I had the Cartek 4X heads/cam put in...
The LG's were ALREADY ON my car for 6 yrs...

After a few weeks I asked CARTEK if there was anything more we could do to get the most out of this package..

They frankly told me, for drag racing the KOOKS will out pull the LG's on top end, and usually from 4k-7k show slight gains on the dyno..

Their offer to put back the LG's if the KOOKS didn't work out, stood..
I had nothing to loose..

Cartek told me, they have no allegence to any header mfgr..
They install what they know works..
There is a reason they recommended me to switch.

You can believe me or not, but I know for a fact my ET's got quicker by .05 with the KOOKS..

Again, I'll put up my dyno pulls so you can see where the KOOKS took off in the 4k-7k range, and down low, was right on top of the LG's..

I'm not tryin to BS anyone..
Just telling you I was skeptical, but now I'm not..

If you drag race & want the most out of your headers, go KOOKS..
If your car stays under 4-5k rpms, any brand will do just fine..
Old 07-22-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use LG streets I like them but dont really like the slip on connections.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers for C5's..