Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Vette people...need your opinions on this...............

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette people...need your opinions on this...............

I'm going to send A car to NRE for their 454ci TT set-up, to include a tranny, rear-end, roll cage and mini-tub. All along I wanted to send a 1998-2002 WS6 T/A like my current car, I think its a good platform for a ridiculous roll racer. NEVER A DRAG CAR. And it will be daily driver capable too. Its gonna get a serious suspension, set up by NRE, lowered with monster brakes too.

NRE says the WS6 is a better platform for the package I'm getting.......but that the Vette (C6) would be better for aerodynamics, since top end pulls are what I'm after. The guy that owns the production company that shot my TV commercial last week has a C6 Z06 (among other cars like 2 Vipers, 3 Ferraris and a Hummer) and its growing on me, its black and looks pretty friggin nice. He let me drive it one day and its rock solid. He'll sell it to me because, believe it or not, he doesn't like it all that much and is getting rid of it soon anyway.

So...........which car would you put that package into and WHY???????

I plan to send the car mid October, it'll be done by January. Maybe send it away sooner.

Its getting this, except he's using the GM LSX iron block:
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/v...KHP454HIGH.wmv

Here's his Z06. Took these pics at the shooting of my TV commercial last week.....btw.

Last edited by Quickin; 07-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vette for sure, imo. Unless over all cost is an issue, then the F-bod would be better.
Robert
Old 07-26-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man tough question....I would say go with the WS6. C6 is already a strong car, maybe if it were just getting H/C and a type of forced induction I would go for it, but man that package hooked up on the WS6 would be really mean on that car. Unless you are going to be racing some high end exotics to top speed, well maybe you could stick it on the C. Tell us what you go with.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Man tough question....I would say go with the WS6. C6 is already a strong car, maybe if it were just getting H/C and a type of forced induction I would go for it, but man that package hooked up on the WS6 would be really mean on that car. Unless you are going to be racing some high end exotics to top speed, well maybe you could stick it on the C. Tell us what you go with.
Thats it really, roll races from say 50-180/200mph. I do have a vision of what I want the WS6 to look like with this package. Slightly flared quarter panels, HRE rims (18" or 19" rear), its getting a front lower adjustable air dam all the way across the front and wrapped slightly around the sides, pinned hood, possibly some small vents fabbed into the hood, and some other stuff.

It would be pretty mean on the WS6.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Thats it really, roll races from say 50-180/200mph. I do have a vision of what I want the WS6 to look like with this package. Slightly flared quarter panels, HRE rims (18" or 19" rear), its getting a front lower adjustable air dam all the way across the front and wrapped slightly around the sides, pinned hood, possibly some small vents fabbed into the hood, and some other stuff.

It would be pretty mean on the WS6.

I like your vison. And I think I know you(local).

Anyways...I gotta say the vette is the car i'd choose. For high speed, less weight, hands down, it's the ****.

The way you invison the WS6, is how i'd like to do onetoo. All out. Proper wheels, proper suspension, flare the fenders if you gotta. I see it. It would be badass, and with proper power, suspenion, it could easily contend. You'd need a full suspension, coil-overs, LARGE sway bars....K member, etc etc.

But.

Aerodynamic's,...alone are enough to solve the question, in my opinion. The F-body would ONLY be BETTER if you were looking to DIG race. Since, they do handle the power better, unless you went to an auto in the vette with a solid axle. Thats not what you wanna do, obviously. And LOW 60 ft #'s are very possible with proper tire in a Y body(vette).

If you looking for HIGH SPEED handling, i'm telling you, trust me, go with the vette. Put on a set of coil-overs, get some proper sized sway bars(T1's are badass), good tires, get the brakes you talked about,.....and have some fun. These things make lane changing under throttle a blast. No problem, no issues.

You'll never look back, unless your trying to check how many lengths you just put on someone.

Mustangs and camaro's will always need MORE power then the aerodynamic vette to compete. I've proved that on the street numerous times.

Best wishes,...see you around.

J
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I like your vison. And I think I know you(local).

Anyways...I gotta say the vette is the car i'd choose. For high speed, less weight, hands down, it's the ****.

The way you invison the WS6, is how i'd like to do onetoo. All out. Proper wheels, proper suspension, flare the fenders if you gotta. I see it. It would be badass, and with proper power, suspenion, it could easily contend. You'd need a full suspension, coil-overs, LARGE sway bars....K member, etc etc.

But.

Aerodynamic's,...alone are enough to solve the question, in my opinion. The F-body would ONLY be BETTER if you were looking to DIG race. Since, they do handle the power better, unless you went to an auto in the vette with a solid axle. Thats not what you wanna do, obviously. And LOW 60 ft #'s are very possible with proper tire in a Y body(vette).

If you looking for HIGH SPEED handling, i'm telling you, trust me, go with the vette. Put on a set of coil-overs, get some proper sized sway bars(T1's are badass), good tires, get the brakes you talked about,.....and have some fun. These things make lane changing under throttle a blast. No problem, no issues.

You'll never look back, unless your trying to check how many lengths you just put on someone.

Mustangs and camaro's will always need MORE power then the aerodynamic vette to compete. I've proved that on the street numerous times.

Best wishes,...see you around.

J
Hmmm, interesting. I am definitely going auto tranny, if I went solid axle would it still be just fine for top end pulls...as well as be better from a dig? (Vette) Are there any negatives in putting a solid axle in a Vette?

As far as needing a little more power, all else being equal, for an F-Body to compete with a Y-Body, this set-up is going to make close to 2,300 fwhp, so really its not gonna be very noticeable in either.

How about making the F-Body as rock solid as the Vette in the suspension department, or at least very close, what would it need?

edit: who are ya, where did we meet?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm, interesting. I am definitely going auto tranny, if I went solid axle would it still be just fine for top end pulls...as well as be better from a dig? (Vette) Are there any negatives in putting a solid axle in a Vette?

As far as needing a little more power, all else being equal, for an F-Body to compete with a Y-Body, this set-up is going to make close to 2,300 fwhp, so really its not gonna be very noticeable in either.

How about making the F-Body as rock solid as the Vette in the suspension department, or at least very close, what would it need?

edit: who are ya, where did we meet?

I can't remember your name for the life of me,..if your the dude anyways. I remember a while back, a tall dude, I thik blonde, with a red 400+ cubic inch TA I believe it had a bottle. My cousin Josh's BLUE Z06 was well known on the "street" scene. It used to be a hurricane car....then MTI. Since then, the scene has changed, it's been a while since the "REAL" crews were out. Anyways, if it's you, i've talked with you in the past at towers, and street scenes. However, I could easily be mistaken. No way you'd remember me anyways,..it's been a while.

That said. Vette doctors have some rear end stuff you'd be interested in probably. They're the only ones I know of(cold be easily wrong) that do this mod and sell it. The solid axle conversion i'm sure would be fine for high end. As they're cars go pretty fast.

I gotta tell you,...i'm not in to that( solid axle/auto conversions on a vette) so I will admit i'm not the person to talk to about that. Anyways, I don't think you'd NEED the conversion, since LOW et's are not your goal. Vettes seem to break drivetrain parts easily. Which is why HIGH HORSEPOWER drag car, do this mod. My cousin has broken every drivetrain part in his car, like 5 times each. He now runs a G-force straight cut geared T56, DTE 5 diff, carbon shaft, etc etc. he's now a little worried about taking it to the track again. I don't blame him, with the amount of money that was spent. We do not know how the current setup will work at the track again. Thats a well over 800whp car.

Auto's, i'm sure could do it....again,...i'm a 6 speed dude. If it was me, thats my route. Either way, tranny coolers, diff coolers,..etc. Needed for sustained SPEED driving.

2300 hp. Well..I know I don't need tosay this but,..i'd get a cage in either. I can recommend a BADASS CAGE shop somewhat local to us. Trust me when I tell you, it'll be the best cage you've seen in a vette. or anything for that matter(guy makes pro mod chassis and road racing).

The TA will need everything suspension changed. tublar K member(a good one), coil overs, panhard rod, torque, tubular A arms, ...etc etc. A cage is a must. Obviously subframes. Strut braces, front and I would have a custom one made for the rear. How is LIFt on those things? I have driven and ridden in TA at over 170mph, with no issues what so ever,...but how do theyrespond at 190, or 2 ++ bills? How are lane changes, cause, we all know, sometime you need to make a change at these speeds.

With that kind of power,...unless your contending against another car makeing the same,...it probably won't matter a hole lot of what you put it in(either car). I gotta tell you, for highway rolls, .... I don't see needing more then 800rwhp in a vette to rock the local world.

What kind of tire do you plan on running with this setup? On either car.

lemme know if you wanna see how the cage looks in a car.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is definately going to be an interesting project no matter what way you go. Do you have the C6 or are yo getting it? and is it going to alread be a Z? Aerodynamic wise I guess that you definately want to go Vette, at 160 the TA is nice, but the vette is even better, and the higher you go the better the Vette will be, I think the TA has Aero problems after about 168 170 anyways. So maybe you should go Vette. You vision of the WS6 gets me all excited, that would look bad ***, very intimidating to say the least. Do you have any pics of other WS6's that you have seen with these kind of appearance packages. Suspension is going to me a must I think for both cars of course like V-series said.

The 06 C6's have the 6speed auto in it which is so nice and smooth, I love it, the car drives better in auto mode better than paddle shift mode, so since you want the auto you would be set there. Im sure you might have to build the Tranny up alittle stronger........some of the other questions you had about the solid axle on top speeds, in my mind you probably could get away with it, but I think the solid axle would rock on the digs. Maybe you would be better off with the vette. This is interesting, I think if a few of us keep on bringing up good points along with your thoughts you can figure this out and do it right the first time.

So do you just want to be this fast for bragging rights or do you want to beat everyone out of Florida when a Hurricane comes ? Man you must really want to go Ballz to the wall to 200 +. I cant wait to see this in motion. You seriously might have one of the fastest Vettes or Fbodys around after this.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I can't remember your name for the life of me,..if your the dude anyways. I remember a while back, a tall dude, I thik blonde, with a red 400+ cubic inch TA I believe it had a bottle. My cousin Josh's BLUE Z06 was well known on the "street" scene. It used to be a hurricane car....then MTI. Since then, the scene has changed, it's been a while since the "REAL" crews were out. Anyways, if it's you, i've talked with you in the past at towers, and street scenes. However, I could easily be mistaken. No way you'd remember me anyways,..it's been a while.

That said. Vette doctors have some rear end stuff you'd be interested in probably. They're the only ones I know of(cold be easily wrong) that do this mod and sell it. The solid axle conversion i'm sure would be fine for high end. As they're cars go pretty fast.

I gotta tell you,...i'm not in to that( solid axle/auto conversions on a vette) so I will admit i'm not the person to talk to about that. Anyways, I don't think you'd NEED the conversion, since LOW et's are not your goal. Vettes seem to break drivetrain parts easily. Which is why HIGH HORSEPOWER drag car, do this mod. My cousin has broken every drivetrain part in his car, like 5 times each. He now runs a G-force straight cut geared T56, DTE 5 diff, carbon shaft, etc etc. he's now a little worried about taking it to the track again. I don't blame him, with the amount of money that was spent. We do not know how the current setup will work at the track again. Thats a well over 800whp car.

Auto's, i'm sure could do it....again,...i'm a 6 speed dude. If it was me, thats my route. Either way, tranny coolers, diff coolers,..etc. Needed for sustained SPEED driving.

2300 hp. Well..I know I don't need tosay this but,..i'd get a cage in either. I can recommend a BADASS CAGE shop somewhat local to us. Trust me when I tell you, it'll be the best cage you've seen in a vette. or anything for that matter(guy makes pro mod chassis and road racing).

The TA will need everything suspension changed. tublar K member(a good one), coil overs, panhard rod, torque, tubular A arms, ...etc etc. A cage is a must. Obviously subframes. Strut braces, front and I would have a custom one made for the rear. How is LIFt on those things? I have driven and ridden in TA at over 170mph, with no issues what so ever,...but how do theyrespond at 190, or 2 ++ bills? How are lane changes, cause, we all know, sometime you need to make a change at these speeds.

With that kind of power,...unless your contending against another car makeing the same,...it probably won't matter a hole lot of what you put it in(either car). I gotta tell you, for highway rolls, .... I don't see needing more then 800rwhp in a vette to rock the local world.

What kind of tire do you plan on running with this setup? On either car.

lemme know if you wanna see how the cage looks in a car.
I hung around Ryan and Dave (Hurricane) a little bit a few years ago, but I have brownish hair and 5' 10", never had a bottle on the car. Probably met you at Towers though.

NRE is gonna do the cage. I think he told me he wouldn't do the project unless I put one in it.

I know 800 RWHP is alot in a Vette, but I have a friend with over 1200 RWHP and I know of a bunch more cars down here that have 1,000+. I don't want to do whats already been done.

The tire.........NRE said he's gonna do the mini-tub and it'll allow a 345/35ZR18. Than on nice weather days I'd run the Hoosier R6. I've been asking around about tires, so I still have some research to do about the best tire for my purpose.

You know, NRE also sells a 427 TT, with 1,850 fwhp. But I figure why not just get the 454 TT, its only a tad bit more $$$.

Its funny you ask about the car "lifting". NRE has taken many cars that he's built to the NASCAR wind tunnel in Charlotte, NC. He told me for $5,000 he will personally take my car there and they will do body mods, tweaks and custom wing tabs, etc.....to make the car safe to well over 200mph. I plan to do that.

Thinking about it, I would go with a 6 speed I guess, since its not gonna be a daily driver like my current car. NRE says the automatic tranny's he has built will handle the power, but will a 6 speed hold the power?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

In the end... a modded Trans Am is still a Trans Am....

I'd mod the Corvette.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

It would surprise alot more people in the WS6,but the Vette would be a more stable platform at the speeds you are going to go.The Vette would be the right choice,but man that WS6 would be such a badass ride too.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hung around Ryan and Dave (Hurricane) a little bit a few years ago, but I have brownish hair and 5' 10", never had a bottle on the car. Probably met you at Towers though.

NRE is gonna do the cage. I think he told me he wouldn't do the project unless I put one in it.

I know 800 RWHP is alot in a Vette, but I have a friend with over 1200 RWHP and I know of a bunch more cars down here that have 1,000+. I don't want to do whats already been done.

The tire.........NRE said he's gonna do the mini-tub and it'll allow a 345/35ZR18. Than on nice weather days I'd run the Hoosier R6. I've been asking around about tires, so I still have some research to do about the best tire for my purpose.

You know, NRE also sells a 427 TT, with 1,850 fwhp. But I figure why not just get the 454 TT, its only a tad bit more $$$.

Its funny you ask about the car "lifting". NRE has taken many cars that he's built to the NASCAR wind tunnel in Charlotte, NC. He told me for $5,000 he will personally take my car there and they will do body mods, tweaks and custom wing tabs, etc.....to make the car safe to well over 200mph. I plan to do that.

Thinking about it, I would go with a 6 speed I guess, since its not gonna be a daily driver like my current car. NRE says the automatic tranny's he has built will handle the power, but will a 6 speed hold the power?

Yeah, probably the same dude,...i've just huffed one too many fumes I guess. RYan and Dave are friends.

Anways, good idea with the cage. Thats awesome that they're willing to test the car in a wind tunnel for you. Thats perfect. I'd imagine the standing mile guys are someone you'd like to get into contact with regarding more of your setup.

As far as the tranny, i'm biased, all I know is manuals. G-force seems to be the choice of HIGH horsepower vipers and vettes. Although I know other companies made a good, strong product as well. G force is who I know of that is well known....well tested.

Mini tub's are the way to go. However, if you wanted a WIDER body, they're are I think two fender upgrades for a C5 vette, which I think EPP sells, and so does specter werks. Incase you were building a car for handling, and wanted a wider track. But, the mini tub kit, will work nicley for a smooth slice through the air at speed. Josh has the mini tub kit in his vette, and although it still blows off the tires, it's a substantial upgrade, which helps alot, and looks sinister, as well as proper.

Coil overs. I have had them for some time now, and we love them for this type of driving.

Tires. Were about to try TOYO R1's(i think) for the blue car. We'll see how it hooks. NOt sure if it will or not but, we;ve heard good things about these.

I have seen KUMHO's hook REALLY well for some high horsepower bipers here on the street. Typically around 700+whp that I know of, and no real traction issues. These cars will SKATE(fishtail) a little or alot. depending on the car and surface but, I usually stay in it and they end up straighting right out. Some steering is obviously required.

I'm curious about the HOOSIER's you mentioned... I need to find a good tire for myself as well.

For me, a manual is crucial for this type of driving. Engine braking is something i've come to depend on for high speed manuvers. Unless you go with a manual valve body,...it'd be tough on an auto.

Very curious on your build man. Sounds like no matter what you build, it's gonna be sick.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
This is definately going to be an interesting project no matter what way you go. Do you have the C6 or are yo getting it?
No, but I could buy the one in the pics above. If I decide to go with the Vette.

and is it going to alread be a Z?
There's another type of Vette that I've seen a few times on this site, called a Z52 or something like that. They look great too. So it doesn't have to be a Z. But the Z does look better than the regular Vette.

Your vision of the WS6 gets me all excited, that would look bad ***, very intimidating to say the least.
My friend is a US Patent artist...I'm gonna have him do a nice drawing of what I want it to look like.

Do you have any pics of other WS6's that you have seen with these kind of appearance packages.
No, it'll be one of a kind.

This is interesting, I think if a few of us keep on bringing up good points along with your thoughts you can figure this out and do it right the first time.
Oh yeah, thats why I'm asking things. It must be done right the first time. NRE told me not to worry, that I drop the car off and pick it up when its done, he assures me it'll be perfect in every way, including the wind tunnel runs and aerodynamics mods so it won't take flight at 190. I already found out that the hood of the WS6 will start to move straight back at 186mph, it can only go so far but it will sort of bend the arms and the latch, and over time it'll come out of alignment. Thats why NRE is gonna pin the hood at 4 points.

So do you just want to be this fast for bragging rights or do you want to beat everyone out of Florida when a Hurricane comes ? Man you must really want to go Ballz to the wall to 200 +. I cant wait to see this in motion. You seriously might have one of the fastest Vettes or Fbodys around after this.
Just want a show car quality, one of a kind, all out MONSTER.

I simply want to take things to a new level. There's no reason to build another 1,000 RWHP car, they're all over the place. Just think, in 2-3 years from now, 1,500 RWHP LSX's will be running around like 1,000 RWHP cars are today.

If you watch the video in my first post, Nelson Witlock (no relation to Nelson Racing Engines) is having NRE build him one of these right now, they are going for 6 second 1/4 miles in a true street car, full interior, A/C, etc, that can go do the 1500 tour of races (don't remember the real name of the tour). Visit 5 tracks 300 miles apart, run the 1/4 at each track with no tech support other than tire changes. NRE has done this with other cars of his.

And the best thing about the set-up, its a full-time pump gas driven car. The intake has 16 injectors, at about 1,000 hp the other 8 injectors start spraying race gas to a 75/25 mix all the way to 2,300 hp, from a stand alone tank.

Can't f#ckin wait, its been a long time coming.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
In the end... a modded Trans Am is still a Trans Am....

I'd mod the Corvette.
I was talking to a friend this morning, he told me to buy a Mercedes E55 and put this set-up in it. That would be pretty amazing.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you seen the BERGER WIDE BODY CAMARO's?

That would be sick to incorporate that IDEA of the wide fenders into a ws6.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Have you seen the BERGER WIDE BODY CAMARO's?

That would be sick to incorporate that IDEA of the wide fenders into a ws6.
Where can I see this Berger Camaro?

Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

And it will be daily driver capable too.

These things dont go together at all. Good luck putting 1/2 of that power down in your street car
Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
These things dont go together at all.
Yes they do, just has to be done by someone who knows how to do it....and by a shop that has done it before.

When NRE finishes their 6 second 1/4 mile TRUE STREET CAR with full interior, A/C and all accessories, you can tell them those two things don't go together.

Good luck putting 1/2 of that power down in your street car
Properly set-up, it will happen.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree on the Vette vote. at even 150 my Camaro was squirley when at speed. But with my Vette it's stable as hell to 165-170(fastest i've gone). They are made for those speeds. If your starting with a Z06 you have the best starting platform you can have from a GM car. Or you could wait a year, get the Blue Devil and then mess with that. An Intercooled S/C fromt the factory with 650hp. Start dropping pulley sizes and get some exhaust with heads and cam and you'll be at 900hp in NO TIME. Just a thought
Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

No doubt about it, you're going to have a mean a$$ ride bro! And, you're going to have to be a mean a$$ driver to handle all that power! BTW, is this going to be at all street friendly to drive???

One thing is for certain, and I THINK that I can speak for all of us here, I'd love to see the step by step, with pics, of the build from ground up on whichever car you decide on. You're a ballsy sombitch man!

RT

Quick Reply: Vette people...need your opinions on this...............