Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

need everyones opinion on vette mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need everyones opinion on vette mods

ok so im gettin an 01 M6 vette soon.. i wanna have full bolt ons to the car b4 i go internal. i been doin alot of research on all the bolt on's i can do. tell me what u guys think of this set up

-kooks 1 7/8 headers
-kooks 3 inch off-road x pipe
-corsa sport exhaust
-callaway intake hoonker or watever its called
-stock mass air meter
-fast 90/90 or should i go with ported tb and ls6 intake manifold??

im hoping to dyno around 300 bone stock.. with this set up can i get about 350?? o and the underdrive pulley kits...how much hp do they add? let me know of other bolts on i can do.. thanks- alex
Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once "search" is working, look around a bit before blowing your $$$. The fast intake works great, if you do heads and cam. Aftermarket MAFs do very little, and underdrive pulleys are fine if you're replacing a worn out balancer however very little gains for the money. Look into changing the rear end gears with the money saved from the above... a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

You should have a plan before you start buying any mods. What is your end goal? For example if you plan to go with turbos down the road, don’t waste your money on headers and air filter now.

That said; depending on where you’re going with your mods, 1 7/8 headers are probably too big (unless you’re going big cubes down the road). The Fast 90/90 is pretty much useless on a stock motor. You’d need a pretty stout H/C package to see any significant gains from the 90/90. If your Vette is a 2001 you already have the LS6 intake. I’d hold off on the under drive pulley until you do the cam. It’s probably good for 6-7 rwhp but it’s a lot of labor to install and probably not cost effective on its own.

1 ¾ headers (Kooks, AR, LG), high flow cats or off road pipe, xpipe, a good air intake system, a ported stock tb, and a good tune should get you into the 340+ rwhp range, maybe 350 if you’re lucky. Corsa makes great cat back systems, but they (or any other cat back) really don’t add any power. Buy the cat back that sounds best to you.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

sooner or later i want AFR 205cc heads with a HPE cam..when i do that should i go with the fast 90/90 setup? further down i want a procharger...can i get kooks 1 7/8 headers then?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AlexVette505
sooner or later i want AFR 205cc heads with a HPE cam..when i do that should i go with the fast 90/90 setup? further down i want a procharger...can i get kooks 1 7/8 headers then?

id look at the american racing headers before kooks... quite a few vendors are selling them now.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok so im gettin an 01 M6 vette soon.. i wanna have full bolt ons to the car b4 i go internal. i been doin alot of research on all the bolt on's i can do. tell me what u guys think of this set up

-kooks 1 7/8 headers
-corsa sport exhaust
-stock mass air meter

im hoping to dyno around 300 bone stock.. with this set up can i get about 350?? o and the underdrive pulley kits...how much hp do they add? let me know of other bolts on i can do.. thanks- alex

Get the kooks if you plan on going big cubes or supercharger
If not I would go with LGs and a vararam for the intake
Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

The 90/90 would definitely benefit you with the AFR 205’s and a decent sized cam. It will probably pick up 10-12 rwhp over your LS6 manifold. All the gains will be over 5000 rpm. If you plan to go with a Procharger eventually I still don’t know if the 90/90 is worth it. I’d probably stick with the LS6.

The 1 7/8 headers might be ok with a max effort 346 Procharged motor. Personally I’d go with 1 ¾ headers unless you plan to build a crazy forged 15 psi motor. Even at this level I have seen good numbers out of 1 ¾ headers. If I were buying new headers I would go with the American Racing 1 3/4’s.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

-kooks 1 7/8 headers
-corsa sport exhaust
-stock mass air meter

I have pretty much that same setup. I made roughly 360 at the wheels with a Z06 intake and a tune.

Quick Reply: need everyones opinion on vette mods