Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Saved:By my Predator. Again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Saved:By my Predator. Again.

Yesterday, I had to wash the car. She gets dirty, quick, being a daily driver.
Soo, as i'm scrubbing away, one of the detailers picks up a mit, and starts washing as well. Sweet. Thanks. Where BSing, he says lets clean the engine bay..."it'll take only a minute"... sure.

So, he's right, it took a minute or two. Looks great. I covered my filter, and said to be careful of electrical.

Soo... cars dry, looks good,...I leave. Go up the street, everything is fine. Get to the light, make a U turn, with traffic on it's way....and BOOM, reduced engine power, SERVICE STABILITY etc etc... I had no throttle input. I could rev it to 1200 rpms.. then it would surge and buck, and do all kinds of weird ****. I nursed it throw traffic, trying to make it back to the dealership. I couldn't. It was either try and let it surge it's way back to the dealer, hopefully not killing anyone with my loss of power.

What I did was, stayed right in the turning lane, reached back and grabbed my Predator(diablosport hand held). Plugged it into the DLC(data link connector) port underneath our steering colums.

It loads up for a second or two,...I then go to "Tuning"... I choose my prestored custom tune back into the car within less then a minute of plugging it in, i'm already 25% through uploading the tune. I followed the promps,...started the car back up.

No problem what so ever. purred like a kitten. Or a rabid tiger, whatever. For a second there, I was sweating my *** off...hopeing that it would just be a matter of a quick reflash.

Soo stoked. I then went on my way... no problem after. I did have codes, which I checked, which did not come back after the flash.

I was home in a matter of no time.

I also had an experience like this with my nitrous backfire. Obvioulsy I had a vaccum leak, and with some clearing of codes, and retuning, I was able to get my car home at a 2300rpm idle. LOL.

Anyways, very cool little diagnostic scanner, that isn't very expensive, can be upgraded, store several tunes, and get my *** outta jams that our 2500 Tech II's can't do out on the street, without web/satelite interfaces(tis). And it's quicker then any labtop(total time).

I should also mention, that when my last car was submerged in water for about 12 hours, and when I went back to it, that my predator, was floating in the floorboard, half filled with water on the inside.

I still use that exact same programmer. I dried it out, restored my backup from the old vehicle, and used it to tune with CMR(chip master revolution) software.

Awesome awesome tool.

Jamie
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew! I was getting nervous for ya man! I'd say that your predator has paid for itself several times over. Sounds like an awesome investment!

RT

PS: sent ya a PM; o' girl said that "he's cute!" I'd def say she's interested!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DocT
Whew! I was getting nervous for ya man! I'd say that your predator has paid for itself several times over. Sounds like an awesome investment!

RT

PS: sent ya a PM; o' girl said that "he's cute!" I'd def say she's interested!

No kiddin', right?! I was sweating bullets since it was soo humid outside. thank fully, it didn't take too long to fix the problem. It was a little scary, trying to cross back over three lanes, and then cross against the other three lanes of oncoming traffic. That part, wasn't very cool. Who'd think, that i'd die, only doing about 5 mph in my corvette....lol.

Got the PM.... sweeeet!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya bro. My hand held has saved me the distraction of looking at the engine light many a time. Same thing, got a bad o2 Simulator, slow switching code. Got one on the way thanks to LG Motorsports. Shouldn't be any codes after this.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I hear ya bro. My hand held has saved me the distraction of looking at the engine light many a time. Same thing, got a bad o2 Simulator, slow switching code. Got one on the way thanks to LG Motorsports. Shouldn't be any codes after this.

sweet baby jesus.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing bro...gotta love the $400 life saver!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Launching!

That sucks I know how dat feels well I could relate some what of that but mines happened in the high way in the middle of traffic ran out of gas and the only thing that saved me was the damn gas oil mix for the lawn equiptment man did it smoke but it got me out...LOL I wasnt gonna take the gas mix but my mom said just to leave it on her garage....
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 427TTA4
That sucks I know how dat feels well I could relate some what of that but mines happened in the high way in the middle of traffic ran out of gas and the only thing that saved me was the damn gas oil mix for the lawn equiptment man did it smoke but it got me out...LOL I wasnt gonna take the gas mix but my mom said just to leave it on her garage....

good save.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got one of the first ones that came out, version 1.03, I know, need to send it in for the update but don't want to drive w/o my custom tune...anyway, my neighbor's Saturn had an SES light...was able to read the code and see real time data and tell him what the problem was.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I've got one of the first ones that came out, version 1.03, I know, need to send it in for the update but don't want to drive w/o my custom tune...anyway, my neighbor's Saturn had an SES light...was able to read the code and see real time data and tell him what the problem was.

Thats cool as **** you were able to read the saturn.

You can update your thru the web. Not sure if our format is web based upgradeable but, you should check it out.

Talk to the guys there, and I bet they could save your tune for you.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

One time my screen said reduced engine power and it wouldnt accelerate but I poped the hood and the electric throttle sensor was disconected so did you ever find the problem of what caused it?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 427TTA4
One time my screen said reduced engine power and it wouldnt accelerate but I poped the hood and the electric throttle sensor was disconected so did you ever find the problem of what caused it?

I think it was just the water that caused the false failure. Car never had problems, related to that, until it got wet from the detailing.

no re-occurance.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Pretty cool J, I might look into getting one.