Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Abs Active Handling !!?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Abs Active Handling !!?!!

Today when i was trying to park my car the "ABS ACTICE HANLING" show on the screen & there was no break & the car keep running while i was hitting the brake pedal but it doesnt stop !?! what is the problem with it !?!!
I`ll be thankful for your help guys.
This the code i had on the dic :
C1241 , C2120 , C1227 , C1226.

Its C5 98 .

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

same thing happened to my 01. just that mine was running perfect even with those lights on. I took it in and everything was checked out and was good, No codes were pulled tho. so who knows?

The "c" in those codes u pulled refer to "chassis" so maybe a component in your abs/traction system is actually messed up??
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you had no brakes?? well atleast this was in a parking lot.....

I dont' have my word doc with me that describes codes (i'm at work)

BTW i've had these codes pop up before while driving and nothing happened...

My first guess. Check your brake fluid... ensure that you have the correct level.... The fact that you had no brakes would probably mean that either you ABS box froze and isn't letting fluid pass... or you have no fluid... If you have no fluid it probably means there is a bad leak somewhere... If there is a leak i'd check around the calipers. But if your at work and just want a clue... If it's not raining around you, look at the wheels and see if one is "wet" on the inside... Mine leaks on my driver's side.. I haven' tgot around to replacing it so i just add fluid every other month.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MagiC5
So you had no brakes?? well atleast this was in a parking lot.....

I dont' have my word doc with me that describes codes (i'm at work)

BTW i've had these codes pop up before while driving and nothing happened...

My first guess. Check your brake fluid... ensure that you have the correct level.... The fact that you had no brakes would probably mean that either you ABS box froze and isn't letting fluid pass... or you have no fluid... If you have no fluid it probably means there is a bad leak somewhere... If there is a leak i'd check around the calipers. But if your at work and just want a clue... If it's not raining around you, look at the wheels and see if one is "wet" on the inside... Mine leaks on my driver's side.. I haven' tgot around to replacing it so i just add fluid every other month.
I asked in the other thread. But HOW do u check your codes in the car??
Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/762697-c5-dic-codes-how-display-them-what-they-mean.html

Follow the directions
Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drive the car normally but when "ABS ACTIVE HANDLING" shows on the screen i got no brake even if i hit the pedal ?!!?!?!?!!?!

Last edited by NOS USER; 08-07-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

only in a corvette...ive never had such a hard time with any of my other cars car before, my 98 C5 did the same but my brakes DID work........I WAS DOING 75+!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe your ebcm (electronic brake control module) is going out or your bpmv. Both can easily be rebuilt for pretty cheap $250 or so. Vettes have alot of problems with the ebcm going bad.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Maybe your ebcm (electronic brake control module) is going out or your bpmv. Both can easily be rebuilt for pretty cheap $250 or so. Vettes have alot of problems with the ebcm going bad.
im tellin ya man if i didnt love lsx cars so much i would never buy american again!! seriously my 06 GTO was bought back by GM per lemon law of california for having numerous engine,tranny, misc problems yet i still went back and bought GM for the love of the Lsx LOL **** IT!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Here ye go...
C1241 Magna Steer Circuit Malfunction
C2120 TPM System Malfunction (No Sensors Received)
C1227 LR Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
C1226 LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

Heres the link for all the codes...
http://www.dvcorvettes.com/c5_comput...stic_codes.htm
Old 08-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Teching In

I have noticed that if i back up and dont come to a complete stop before I put it in first and start to drive mine sets off those lights also, but I never have had brake loss. Corvettes are just touchy
Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

hehehe thanks guys but its really dangerous when thats happen .
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NOS USER
hehehe thanks guys but its really dangerous when thats happen .
yeah when your brakes dont work (like it happened to you). to some people here those lights triggered and the car still runs perfect with them on....like me
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1nR6
Here ye go...
C1241 Magna Steer Circuit Malfunction
C2120 TPM System Malfunction (No Sensors Received)
C1227 LR Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
C1226 LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

Heres the link for all the codes...
http://www.dvcorvettes.com/c5_comput...stic_codes.htm

The problem looks like the C1241 magna steer... the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM), which also oversees the operation of the anti-lock brake system, handles the Magnasteer control function.

Alot of good information about steering assist. here (i'd read all the GM parts)
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf10434.htm

the TPMS code is not important to this problem.

Based off the other 2 codes i'm going to guess the problem is the EBCM. It might not be complete failure inside. You might find the lil ground grimlin decided to vist you and mess with ya.. Find the EBCM and then trace where it grounds out... Remove the bolt that grounds it... use a wire bush to clean it up, then clean the surface it bolts to until you see a nice reflective surface. Ground it out and give it a try.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow thanks for your help MagiC5 ...Very Good info you have..Can you show me a pic where can i find the EBCM ?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Launching!

I did some googling.. and I found a thread over on Corvetteforums.com regarding this issue. Looks like it might be a pretty popular problem.. IF your not a member go over there and join then run a search for EBCM and see what it comes up with. I'd give you a link but strangly my work had CF blocked but not LS1tech.

the pictures i posted is of a corvette and the EBCM is located next to the alternator. This picture will look pretty familiar looking at your engine bay from the driver's side.

Here are instructions on removing the EBCM. The link even goes to a company that has the ability to fix it. Not sure how much it cost nor to I endorse them in any way shape or form. That does not mean they are bad, just means i know nothing about them.

http://www.absfixer.com/how_do_i_remove.php
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have the EBCM here ?!!?! Maybe its located in the rear of the car.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Did you go to the link i have there? it actually gives you step by step directions on how to remove teh EBCM from a C5.

Btw. I went over to Corvetteforum.com last night and check and seen this is a pretty common problem.

2 things it could be.

Faulty ground. Based off the location of the EBCM it's probably the ground on the driver side right behind the headlight...

If thats not it.... and you didn't describe any other problems found on that ground...

Your EBCM took a ****...

Looks like the guy from the link i gave you is pretty good and well is the only person that does EBCM rebuilds. I think i seen it's a $150 shipped. As in you pay to ship it to him and then the $150 over the rebuild and mailing back to you. Which isn't bad when you consider how GM would rape you at the dealership for a new one.

Btw.. the ground i'm referring to is in that picture i posted in my last post. It's that bolt in the bottom left corner.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Magi : My EBCM located in the rear of the car near the trans oilpan ?!! is it right ? or only my car have the EBCM there?!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

NOS USER

One thing to check for first is the thread started by Bill Curlee on corvetteforum.com

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

He goes thru all the possibilites of grounding issues/etc.

When my ECBM went out it had the service AH/TC/ABS codes only, and nothing about the magnasteer.

Have you changed any of the tire sizes recently? - possibly air pressure can make the wheel sensors on the front throw that code also?

(I think it's absfixer.com)

Quick Reply: Abs Active Handling !!?!!