Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Picking up the Hurst short throw shifter, opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picking up the Hurst short throw shifter, opinions wanted

I am going to pick up the HURST short throw shifter (Killer Deal). I would like to hear from people that have one in their cars. Please explain what kind of a difference it made for you. I was told you can shift a lot faster, and those quicker shifts can shave .1 off your time at the track, anyone experience this ?? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have one, but i drove around in a buddie's corvette that has one. IT feels alot like when you are playing at an arcade. Its a pretty cool shifter.

I definetly want a short throw. I missed third gear 2 times out of 4 passes last night, but I did manage to rip an 11 sec pass so im pretty happy. It was damn muggy/hot last night.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Banned

I've driven every shifter out there....

The HURST is very stiff (good when racing) but it's overkill for most driving.

By FAR the best C5 shifter is one off a C6Zo6. Perfect balance, ergonomics,short throw,cheap on the forums....

I personally wouldn't install a Hurst on my C5 even if it was free. I have the C6 shifter...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the opposing comments fellas. Now I'm torn. Dave loved it, Josh wouldn't use it if it was free. Hmmmm

Stay tuned.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the Hurst and the Breathless Performance shifters best out of all the after market shifters. I do not like the B&M shifter at all. It is a definately a step down from the Hurst and Breathless products. I've been using Hurst shifters since the early 60's and have no complaints with their product. Both of those shifters are very high quality. Both will be much more positive and tighter than the factory shifter. Which is what I like. They do have some adjustibility too. I don't care much for any of the factory shifters on C5 or C6 Corvettes. They are too sloppy for my taste. You said your getting a good deal on the shifter. I'd buy it and install it and if in the end you do not like it. You can always sell it and maybe make a couple of bucks on the deal.

Last edited by slt200mph; 08-23-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I installed the Hurst last winter and really like it. I installed only the lightest outer spring and no inner spring based on Slowhawk's advice. Also put the set screws only a few turns in to keep the spring force pretty light. It works best for the track and is great for on the road. It's definately a more crisp/ratchity feel than stock and needs a little force to get into reverse but you get used to it. I haven't taken it to the track yet but expect my shifting to improve with it. It's easy enough to adjust out the springs after installing it to so that you can try several different options which makes it a nice shifter. Good luck with it and I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Hurst Doug. It was in the car when I bought it but I drove my cousins stock Z06 last week and there is a night and day difference. I wouldn't drive that car for a week without changing the shifter. You can't miss third with a Hurst unless you really screw up. I thought you had a shifter in your car already?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
I thought you had a shifter in your car already?

Nope I don't have a shifter, just factory.

So will the shorter shifts help knock a bit of time off my et ??

Again thanks for the comments. I'll try the slowhawk tip when I do the install. As you said I can always readjust.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

sorry for hijacking the thread but what about the Pro 5.0 shifter?? anyone tried that one?? are the throws the same as the hurst or shorter??
Old 08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Nope I don't have a shifter, just factory.

So will the shorter shifts help knock a bit of time off my et ??

Again thanks for the comments. I'll try the slowhawk tip when I do the install. As you said I can always readjust.
It will definately improve your shift speed which will in turn affect your et. I don't know how you were running w/o one. When I was driving my cousins car it felt like the shifter was made of rubber. So sloppy and untrue.
Get it, you'll like it almost as much as those Nittos.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have the Hurst but the stock shifter was the first thing to go when I bought the car. I absolutely hated the long throws from the stock product. Like SLT said if its a good deal just buy it and install it then if you hate it take it out and make a profit lol.

If by chance you install it and it feels to "notchy" for your taste you can always do the "anti venom" mod that is floating around over on the CF. My buddy did it to his C6 shifter and it made it real effortless to shift. In fact way to easy for my taste but you can adjust that with using less washers.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the Hurst and like it quite a bit. It is a little stiff, but Hell, the rest of my car isn't exactly a creampuff either. It fits.

99 FRC
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to have LS1tech around so you can ask people about things you are considering purchasing. Theres always a few people with the mod and some have good things some have bad things to say. Helped me make an informative choice. Thanks

Thanks for the tips on install as well. Will have it installed shortly after I get it. Probably Tuesday and have it ready for Milan on Wednesday if the weather cooperates.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have a hurst, but the nicest shifter I have felt is the mallet one, its short smooth and quiet
Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Glad to have LS1tech around so you can ask people about things you are considering purchasing. Theres always a few people with the mod and some have good things some have bad things to say. Helped me make an informative choice. Thanks

Thanks for the tips on install as well. Will have it installed shortly after I get it. Probably Tuesday and have it ready for Milan on Wednesday if the weather cooperates.
Yeah, lots of good information on this site. Of course you can get bad info as well but it's usually pretty good.

One thing to watch for when putting the console back in is to make sure the electrical connector for the gas door is still connected and not partially engaged like mine was. I had to pull the door back up wire on 2 trips to the pump before I decided to pull it apart and realized it wasn't connected all the way.

Also, don't cut the rubber boot, just flip it inside out as it'll keep the road noise down. Just a tip I got from someone that cut the boot on his. If it's being stubborn, heat it up a little (space heater ) and it'll flip inside out very easily.

The Hurst instructions are decent anyway.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

i like my hurst shifter. i think it's a great drag shifter too, you have to actually force it into 1st, that makes 1-2 and 2-3 a breeze. i have trouble getting reverse sometimes, but who gives a crap about that?

as far as improving your ETs.. i'm such a shitty driver, nothing short of a jet engine would improve mine.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Please explain what kind of a difference it made for you.
I ran a Hurst before I switched to an auto. After the Hurst when in I stopped missing 3rd gear at the track.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

It's virtually impossible to miss 3rd. You just push it straight up and it slides right in everytime.

Good choice! I run the same shifter and LOVE it.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

good choice i just love haw the gears feel
Old 08-26-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeenis
i like my hurst shifter. i think it's a great drag shifter too, you have to actually force it into 1st, that makes 1-2 and 2-3 a breeze. i have trouble getting reverse sometimes, but who gives a crap about that?

as far as improving your ETs.. i'm such a shitty driver, nothing short of a jet engine would improve mine.

Jeenis and everybody else thanks a lot for the comments. The shifter should be here Tuesday. Going to install it, and head for the track Wednesday night.

Quick Reply: Picking up the Hurst short throw shifter, opinions wanted