Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

charge system fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charge system fault

I swear I'm going to put a starter through my windshield if I don't figure out my car keeps saying charge system fault after I replaced my starter. P1637 and P1638 codes. Everything is on there tight and snug and correctly and I'm still getting this charge system fault message.
How many wires goes on the power wire screw?
How many wires goes on the signal wire screw?
How many wires goes on the ground wire screw?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
I swear I'm going to put a starter through my windshield if I don't figure out my car keeps saying charge system fault after I replaced my starter. P1637 and P1638 codes. Everything is on there tight and snug and correctly and I'm still getting this charge system fault message.
How many wires goes on the power wire screw?
How many wires goes on the signal wire screw?
How many wires goes on the ground wire screw?
Start checking all the grounds on the chassis thats the most common cause of this problem
Old 09-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I had this problem with my Z06. Same codes and all. I checked the connections to my battery, and everything was fine. I then went to my local "Auto Parts Store" to get my Alternator checked. They tested it and told me my Alternator was bad. Before buying a new Alternator i decided to go home and recheck everything connected to the battery. That led me to the Starter. So i disconnected the battery and i jacked my car up and looked at the connections. I took off the nut that secured the "3" Ring Terminals. Before i took the Ring Terminals off the bolt, i tugged at them. The Red wire was fine, but when i tugged at the Grey wire it just broke loose. I didn't even use that much force, it just came off like that. I checked out the wire strands and where the wires and Ring Terminal met, they were both corroded pretty bad. I decided to just get a new Ring Terminal for it instead of trying to clean the old one up. I bought some 5/16" Ring Terminals and some Dielectric Grease(Small package at the front register). I got home and went to work. I first cut off all the corroded wire strands and then cut off about 1/4" of insulation to expose the fresh copper wire strands. I then twisted the strands to get a nice spiral out of the wire so i wouldn't have any strands sticking out. I put the wire through the Ring Terminal insulation just far enough so it wouldn't stick out past the insulation, i then crimped it and tugged at it, just in case. I cleaned the other Ring Terminals and lubricated all 3 of them and the Starter Bolt with the Dielectric Grease. I then put everything back the way they were when i first started. I put my car back on the ground and reconnected the battery. I tried to start my car up and to my surprise, it did, but this time with no "Charge System Fault" or any codes(been like that for the past 3 months). My Voltage went straight to 14 volts. Well, after about 20 seconds or so. I hope this ends up being your problem. I'd rather spend $5 for the Ring Terminals and Grease, then for a new $200-300 Alternator. I'd rather use that money for future mods . I tried to put it as simple as i could and hope everything works out for you. If you have any questions just PM me.

Danny
Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

^ Very good advice!!!

My low mile Zo6 gives that same charge system fault once every couple weeks... it just flashes the warning for a second on initial start-up and never causes any perceived problems (yet)

Thanks for the tip, I'll store that away in the brain case...
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Haha... Thanks, i try.

I ignored it too. For about a good 2 weeks. Then one day i'm driving to school and all my gauges and DIC stop working. I made it to school, but it died right in the middle of me parking. Sucks when people look at you and think you can't drive a stick(thinking i stalled). I got a jump after school and made it home(barely). Be careful man, hope it doesn't happen to you.

Danny

Quick Reply: charge system fault