Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Might be getting a C5, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007 | 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be getting a C5, have some questions.

I might be picking up a C5 after my LT1 Z28 sells this wednesday. Anyways, I am very familiar with LS1 f-bodies, but not really the C5's. So far I have read that the first thing you should do is get a vararam and a tune. Supposively a catback won't yield much as far as gains are concerned? Anyways, do people with C5's port their stock throttle bodies like the f-body crowd does? Also, does anyone have a webpage where I can hear different exhaust setups on C5's? I heard the Corsa PAce cars online and they sounded the best to me so far. Hooker looked cheap, but I couldnt find any sound clips, and the magnaflow seemed awfully quiet. My father is calling the insurance company to see how much insurance will be on the vette compare to if I got a LS1 SS. Thanks for the help, hopefully I will have a car very soon.
Old 09-30-2007 | 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Except for the transaxle and fly-by-wire throttle, C5's and LS1 f-bodies are pretty much the same. Go to www.corvetteforum.com for general C5 info and check out youtube for sound clips. As far as insurance goes, I had a 2000 and it was a bit under a grand per year. My current '98 runs a little over $1k because of some safety ratings that changed. I'm 24, btw.
Old 09-30-2007 | 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the bullet exhaust system, but i like my exhaust loud

Insurance for me was actually cheaper with the vette than the SS lol
Old 10-01-2007 | 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have B&B also and it's awesome under WOT. i don't like the idle much as it reminds me of a JohnDeere Tractor. So this winter i'm going with a TSP Longtubes with O/R Xpipe and then 3" true out the back thru Dynomax bullets. With my heads and cam setup in place it's gonna sounds SICK
Old 10-01-2007 | 06:42 AM
Launching!

Yeah I'm only 22 so I am going to see how much the insurance is today. I am looking at a 99 with only 18k miles, white w/6 spd and targa top, black leather interior. The dealership is asking $24k for it but I know one of the guys that works there so they told me I could take it for what they are in it for, which is only $18k. Only problem is that there is a deposit on it right now, but they couldn't finance the lady so she is trying to get financed on her own. If she takes it, they will just find another one for me hopefully in the same price range. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 10-01-2007 | 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Insurance will vary greatly on where you are but if you can afford the insurance on a F body 95% of the time you can on a vette. FWIW I pay ~45 month on my ZO6 with full coverage.

As far as exhaust, an aftermarket system will pick up over a standard C5 exhaust but not much over the stock ZO6 Ti system. If at all possible try to track down some local owners and listen to them in person.... if you can squeeze in a short ride because some sound great on the outside but will kill your ears on the inside.
Old 10-01-2007 | 08:32 AM
MJD
12 Second Club

Here's a good place for sound clips: http://ls1sounds.com/

Before performance mods I'd recommend a skip shift eliminator and especially a column lock bypass. And yes, vette guys port their throttle bodies.
Old 10-01-2007 | 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

definitely the skip shift eliminator! That thing will only **** ya off! Go for LGM longtubes if you're wanting to go the better route for headers. As far as sounds, youtube and ls1tech has a lot of sound clips.

What kind of "C5" are you looking to get? Good luck!
Old 10-03-2007 | 02:21 PM
Teching In

hey man yea we port are TB's to for more air = more power and u need to get that air out of the car as well so even if u dont get a cat back headers and high flow cats will deff give u the edge rev up faster and it's over all lighter the slp exhaust i have is about 26 pounds lighter then stock that's a big difference but its up to u.
Old 10-03-2007 | 03:20 PM
Launching!

Can you run long tube headers with the stock cats, x or h pipe, and stock catback? (not sure what it has stock) If so, how does it sound?
Old 10-03-2007 | 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got LG LT's, x-pipe, high-flow cats and Borla Stinger cat-back. This thing sounds awesome!! In regards to the cat-back not adding anything, I can tell you that the SOTP feel was a definite improvement. I don't care what anyone says. You can see what I'm putting down with just the exhaust and a zip-tie mod.

The juice is a whole other story!

You're going to love the 'vette!
99 FRC
Old 10-03-2007 | 08:03 PM
Launching!

Who has the best prices on catback exhausts? The 99 fell through so they're gonna be at the auction tomorrow looking for a car for me.

Quick Reply: Might be getting a C5, have some questions.