Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Question: Why don't younger owners get involved in NCCC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
l
l
Agreed. Most of the Corvette crowd are just old smug guys who think their s**t don't stink and they are better than everyone else. All the younger guys like will82, eurospec and bluenyghthawk in the jax are just great down to earth guys who just enjoy the car.
Hell, half the corvette owners I wave to just blow me off... and honestly, they just add to the hype that corvette owners are cocky.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

I have to agree with most people on here. I think a majority of the corvette owners I've met are older and have a different ideal when it comes to owning a corvette then the younger generation like myself does. I bought this car to enjoy and drive, not sit in a chair and stair at for hours while at some car show.

A lot of the older folks I've met with these cars are afraid to work on them like its the holy grail of a car or something. Usually those are the same ones who don't know squat about the mods their cars have or how to drive them. So I really have nothing in common with them except for the fact we have the same model car... big woop. Just because someone has the same car as me doesn't mean I want to be their friend, lol.

I don't consider myself brand loyal or "live and die by my corvette" kind of person, I'm a car guy and like all different kinds of vehicles. I own a corvette now because I think its a fun car and a very good platform to race with which is why I got it in the first place.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
I have to agree with most people on here. I think a majority of the corvette owners I've met are older and have a different ideal when it comes to owning a corvette then the younger generation like myself does. I bought this car to enjoy and drive, not sit in a chair and stair at for hours while at some car show.

A lot of the older folks I've met with these cars are afraid to work on them like its the holy grail of a car or something. Usually those are the same ones who don't know squat about the mods their cars have or how to drive them. So I really have nothing in common with them except for the fact we have the same model car... big woop. Just because someone has the same car as me doesn't mean I want to be their friend, lol.

I don't consider myself brand loyal or "live and die by my corvette" kind of person, I'm a car guy and like all different kinds of vehicles. I own a corvette now because I think its a fun car and a very good platform to race with which is why I got it in the first place.
yeah I am an old fart and the other old guys look at me funny because i haul *** and beat the crap out of the Vette and lead the pack! and i do wax it after a day at track to get the off the stuff stuck to the Vette- brake dust and melted tire rubber off from the slicks.

the young guys just look at me like I am nuts

But it does pay off to make friends with anyone and anybody no matter what age! really adds to the fun!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by will82
provides terrible products and service, and refuses to listen to what we want out of their cars.
I don't follow you here. We complained about the interior and it is MUCH better in the C6. We complained it wasn't fast enough and they built the C6Z. The Blue Devil will be here soon and the Camaro is coming back. What's not to like?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
I don't follow you here. We complained about the interior and it is MUCH better in the C6. We complained it wasn't fast enough and they built the C6Z. The Blue Devil will be here soon and the Camaro is coming back. What's not to like?
Obvioulsy I'm pretty happy with the Corvettes (except for the zr1 being FI and not n/a, but I cant afford it anyway.)

But I have my issues. As soon as Ford came out with the 2003 Cobra, GM should have responded with forged pistons standard in the Corvettes so we could boost just as easily and not eat **** from Ford Guys. If one nice set of pistons would cost me $500, they would cost GM at least half that per set considering the # they would need, and the difference between that amount and their costs for standard pistons would add barely anything to the cost of the car.

And lets not even go into the bullshit 4l60e tranny they used. The new 6speed is also weak and there are still no built aftermarket solutions.

And I will never have a c6. Too European. C5 is more American looking. GM admitted it wanted the new Corvett to be more appealing to Europeans to sell better there. I have a BIG problem with that. Let the Frenchies drive BMW M3 Convertibles, I want a wide, low, rounded, fat back-end, American Muscle/Sports car.
And there are many little issues too.

But it's the rest of the lineup that is really frustrating. Most folks want more than just a Corvette, i.e. a truck, daily car, family cars, etc. and they are the reason I'll buy non GM cars in addition to Corvette. Boring, plain cars with small engines and FWD. And they refuse to offer their biggest v8s in regular cab trucks for the sport truck enthusiasts, which would probably be my next project. An LS2 or L98 in a regular cab pickup would be awesome, even better if they crammed one in the small truck, the Colorado.

But they won't. They like to ignore the people who are passionate about the cars and tell us what we like and want.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've grown up around Vettes and the Vett community so Corvettes are basically in my blood. I joined the local Corvette club when 4 years ago when I was 25 and have been a member ever since, basically because I grew up around these people. But I can totally see why younger guys would be turned off by this group of guys. I run track events at Road America and organize dyno days for Vettes and I bring these things up at meetings and I never have any of the guys show up at these things! They all come out to Road America when there are races and work the Corvette Corral but when there is a weekend where people are driving there vettes hard I never see them. I have run at NCCC events with my 96 and typically clean house, but the rules for NCCC are bullshit, if you have a big brake kit you are in exibition. Most of the guys here would end up in exibition with there engine mods. It's hard to find a group that is into modding and working on these cars and typically the NCCC isn't where you will find people like that.
I'm friends with the people in my Corvette club because I grew up around them and they know me, but if I were a stranger I think I would have similar stories as these guys. I have wondered why I am the youngest guy in my Club by 20 years and I can see why, I tryed letting these guys into "my" world and they were not interested. I don't mind I can talk Zaino and front plates at the local CC meetings and save the mod talk to the group of guys that come to Road America and kick the crap out of there cars.

I think that you would agree that there are some people in your Corvette Club that you associate with more than others, typically the guys who are racers. There are different types in every club and the majority of NCCC members have been in NCCC for 15 to 20 years and are not into performance as much as we are.
We are the 1%ers who 400 hp isn't enough, I'm sure you've heard "it's fast enough for me" many times at meetings. There is nothing "wrong" with NCCC they just are not flashy enough for the ADD crowd that hangs out here.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
There is nothing "wrong" with NCCC they just are not flashy enough for the ADD crowd that hangs out here.
There is some truth to that. I guess to me I'm normal.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
I've grown up around Vettes and the Vett community so Corvettes are basically in my blood. I joined the local Corvette club when 4 years ago when I was 25 and have been a member ever since, basically because I grew up around these people. But I can totally see why younger guys would be turned off by this group of guys. I run track events at Road America and organize dyno days for Vettes and I bring these things up at meetings and I never have any of the guys show up at these things! They all come out to Road America when there are races and work the Corvette Corral but when there is a weekend where people are driving there vettes hard I never see them. I have run at NCCC events with my 96 and typically clean house, but the rules for NCCC are bullshit, if you have a big brake kit you are in exibition. Most of the guys here would end up in exibition with there engine mods. It's hard to find a group that is into modding and working on these cars and typically the NCCC isn't where you will find people like that.I'm friends with the people in my Corvette club because I grew up around them and they know me, but if I were a stranger I think I would have similar stories as these guys. I have wondered why I am the youngest guy in my Club by 20 years and I can see why, I tryed letting these guys into "my" world and they were not interested. I don't mind I can talk Zaino and front plates at the local CC meetings and save the mod talk to the group of guys that come to Road America and kick the crap out of there cars.

I think that you would agree that there are some people in your Corvette Club that you associate with more than others, typically the guys who are racers. There are different types in every club and the majority of NCCC members have been in NCCC for 15 to 20 years and are not into performance as much as we are.
We are the 1%ers who 400 hp isn't enough, I'm sure you've heard "it's fast enough for me" many times at meetings. There is nothing "wrong" with NCCC they just are not flashy enough for the ADD crowd that hangs out here.
YUP-YUP and YUP.....NCCC will wither away unless they open their eyes and change with the times. You can bracket race in a Corvette Challenge Series, or open NHRA events with your Corvette, but not NCCC unless you run stock, or follow their limited mod rules closely. They will not recognize any race participation in an NHRA sanctioned event. There are no regularly scheduled drag racing events sanctioned by NCCC. Sure, one could travel to the few they hold annually, but who cares when there are tracks scattered all over the country and one can race any weekend. And then there is the problem of unmodding your car to meet NCCC rules for participating in their event. I can't help but yawn. That, in my opinion is why there is little interest in NCCC membership.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got two infants at home and a wife, so I dont have a lot of time for "clubbing". I barely get out in my car unless I'm going to work and back. However, I'm 39 and my experience has been similar to many posted here. If I were out, I'd rather hang with the F-body crowd. I'm just not in to the show and shine Corvette clubs I've seen and would probably get dirty looks at them for what I've done to mine. In addition, much of the younger crowd can barely afford their cars and stick to the drag strips, rather than road courses out of financial necessity. If you want more of the younger crowd, you could probably start by sonsoring more drag racing events for 'vettes. I'd try to show up!

99 FRC
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 AM
9 Second Club

This thread was a good read. Thanks.

I am probably in the group that should be in NCCC being mid 40s but am not. I have never been a Corvette guy. Up until recently never been racer either but that is why I bought the vette and that is what I want to do with it and I do.

I never looked deep into NCCC because I just don't have time to be in a club and always thought club meant attending events and meetings.

I do like the racing aspect of NCCC and will look into it more now.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

26 and 23 year old vette owners here, only had the vette about a year, just got the net in the new house about two weeks ago but never heard of it til now. We are in a couple of local corvette clubs and no one has even mentioned it. The older people in our clubs are really cool and have always respected us and been nice to us.We fit right in with them. When we got the vette we were 25 and 22.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Never heard of it. I also don't get involved with many vette functions because most of the 'vette guys I've been around are total tool bags. They constantly trash Fbodies(which is where I got my muscle car start) and it's the same old song and dance. "I can't believe someone would mod a 'vette" or "Wow, check out my chrome :insert gaudy ugly product here:".

Now, that's not to say I haven't met some really cool 'vette guys. However, as a whole, I don't fit in. I'm into racing, modding and into making things better. I don't beat the crap out of my car but I'm certainly not worried if a raindrop hits it. I wave and get dirty looks like I don't belong driving one or I don't appreciate the history behind the car. It just seems to me the "older" crowd has a HUGE chip on their shoulders and quite frankly I don't have the desire or patience to deal with that crap.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Corvettes are super gay.

Thats why.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pakisho
Corvettes are super gay.

Thats why.
from a happy corvette owner no less!

i have been going to several different clubs and car shows and street guys hanging around talking pinks, etc.... and the problem is none of the cars guys/gals are very compatible.

but.....everyones very competitive, so that makes it tough for anyone to get along. there is no continuum among drivers!!!!

i went Camaro first then corvette and i am old and i race 'em not wax 'em..well a little to keep the track rubber from sticking to the paint
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
Well most of the replys here sum it up, but heres my experience

I live in the same area as Will82, so were talking about the same peeps

I ran into our local Corvette club for the first time at a local cruise in about 4-5 months ago. I saw a really nice Z16 Z06 with some sweet underhood painting, so i asked who the owner was to complement him and ask him who his painter was. I was met with a bit if smug attitude, but it got really bad when he asked if i had a vette, and i told him i had a 97 C5 (garage queen, extremely clean and was parked 2 spots away from him). Immediately he got a major chip, asking why i bought a "slow" C5??? Honestly i was pretty taken back by his statement, and got instantly offended , i responded rather immaturely with something along the lines of a challenge to see just how slow my car was (450-460 RWHP is what i make, he was stock).

I could have written this off as just 1 douchbag, but after i "challenged" his comments about my car he turned to all the other club members standing there patronizing me with "this kid wants to race me in his 97 c5", well they all turned and laughed at me. Now im not that old, but im 29 and have served the last 10 years in the Military active duty, i dont consider myself a kid.

Anyways at this point im pretty upset, so i decide to do the right thing, walk the 2 spots to my car, get in, Fire it up, let them listen to my MS3 as i lope by them all smiling ear to ear and drive off.

Now, i AM going to give this local organization another shot by attending one of their regular meetings soon, but to be honest i dont have high expectations of the reception or type of people im gonna meet.
And this would be exactly why I wouldn't join a club, this happens more than most people think. I also don't like the stereotype that corvettes owners have received: fat, balding, gold chain wearing, open shirted old men.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost

Well I am a "old fart" (turned 65 last month) and I take exception with all th BS that you yong guys are spouting out.I have been drag racing for 45 years, restored two muscle cars and have a modded vert. that runs 11s at over 120mph. I have found just the oposite. Most younger corvette owners rather "wax and shine " and talk about there "cosmetic mods".I know several older vette owners who are into drag racing. I get along just fine with the "younger crowd" that I meet at the track. I have never been asked my age and never ask them their age.Just last night I spent over two hours talking cars with a young corvette owner.This young man had a beautiful red vert. that had a wax job on it that was fantastic.The car was also heavly modded (H/C combo).You can have a fast car that also looks good you know.

Bottom line: Don't put all elderly people in one pot.Ther are plenty of us "old farts" who still love to mod/race cars.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YankeeVert.
Well I am a "old fart" (turned 65 last month) and I take exception with all th BS that you yong guys are spouting out.I have been drag racing for 45 years, restored two muscle cars and have a modded vert. that runs 11s at over 120mph. I have found just the oposite. Most younger corvette owners rather "wax and shine " and talk about there "cosmetic mods".I know several older vette owners who are into drag racing. I get along just fine with the "younger crowd" that I meet at the track. I have never been asked my age and never ask them their age.Just last night I spent over two hours talking cars with a young corvette owner.This young man had a beautiful red vert. that had a wax job on it that was fantastic.The car was also heavly modded (H/C combo).You can have a fast car that also looks good you know.

Bottom line: Don't put all elderly people in one pot.Ther are plenty of us "old farts" who still love to mod/race cars.
I think what it comes down to is all of us are the 1%ers out there that do mod and race. We could give a crap about age as long as you don't mind modding and burning some rubber. The fact is that most vette owners are perfectly happy with the car that the General made them. Especially the "older" crowd who had to suffer through the mid 70's to the 80's Vettes which had little performance to offer. Once you change from one of those cars to a C5 or C6 those cars are rocket ships! All in all to fit into the Corvette Club and the majority of the Corvette community crusing around and waxing are the things to do.
Just try to find some 1%ers in your area and have fun with some of your own.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I don't tend to mix well with the traditional Corvette crowd, cuz they are older and have those jackets and their cars are stock.

I had a stock '02 Z06 which I just sold, liked it a lot. I'm going to get a new C6 or C6Z pretty soon but I'll most likely stick with the online drag racers since that's more my style.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

My obversation:
If you guys want things to change to where moding is acceptable, GET INVOLVED! NCCC is 100% volounteer and 100% member run. No body gets paid to run any part of the orginization. Get involved in the competition side of things and convince these "older guys" that stock isn't always good enough. Each region has a competion director. They meet at the national governers meetings and make a new rule book every 4 years. That is where they decide where each mod will classify your car. My dad is overseeing this right now.

When the people making the book don't change, the rules don't change. I know for the last 10 years or so it has been roughly the same people doing the rule book. So, not much has changed. We need new blood and a new way of looking at things!

Again, get involved and make some changes if you feel it isn't up to todays crowd. That is the only way to make this orginization the best around for young and old.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by YankeeVert.

I never used the term "old fart" in my post, I actually have A LOT of respect for the "older folk". Hopefully I'll live long enough to be called an OLD FART someday.

It sounds to me like you are the exception and not the rule. I can get along with almost anyone, regardless of their age or the type of car they drive, just as long as they don't have an attitude and we have more in common then just owning the same type of car. You sound to me like someone I would be able to have a conversation with.

Quick Reply: Question: Why don't younger owners get involved in NCCC?