Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Anyone done this motor swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Anyone done this motor swap?

Trans Am makes 413/396 but is way too heavy. I'm buying a 2002 Corvette so I can do a motor swap. My current motor was forged and built by NLP/Norris Mortorsports with AFR 205 heads and comp 224/228 cam (Mamo Combo), LS6 valley cover and the likes.

I need as much information as possible from those of you with experience. Things like the overall cost, should I do this with a 2002 Z06 or a non-Z06 model ... from this standpoint: Trans Am is an A4 and I'm thinking there may be swap issue which wouold drive the cost up because the Z06 is a M6 transmission.

The Z06 is about $5k more, but, 140 lbs lighter. Any motor swap issues that would make this swap complicated or issues that would drive the cost up tremendously to make it not worthwhile?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've put $40k into builiding this Trans Am and regretting it tremendously. I'm still paying for the motor and driveline work done to the Trans Am over the past few years. It's heavy and slow. I don't want to make the same mistakes all over again ... just deciding to part it out and recoup what money I can.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Trans Am makes 413/396 but is way too heavy. I'm buying a 2002 Corvette so I can do a motor swap. My current motor was forged and built by NLP/Norris Mortorsports with AFR 205 heads and comp 224/228 cam (Mamo Combo), LS6 valley cover and the likes.

I need as much information as possible from those of you with experience. Things like the overall cost, should I do this with a 2002 Z06 or a non-Z06 model ... from this standpoint: Trans Am is an A4 and I'm thinking there may be swap issue which wouold drive the cost up because the Z06 is a M6 transmission.

The Z06 is about $5k more, but, 140 lbs lighter. Any motor swap issues that would make this swap complicated or issues that would drive the cost up tremendously to make it not worthwhile?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've put $40k into builiding this Trans Am and regretting it tremendously. I'm still paying for the motor and driveline work done to the Trans Am over the past few years. It's heavy and slow. I don't want to make the same mistakes all over again ... just deciding to part it out and recoup what money I can.
What are your goals with the car, couse the weight difference does not make that much difference, and if your goals are on the drag strip your better off sticking with the T/A.

On another note, T/As arent heavy or slow when built correctly, theres hundreds of extremely fast T/As in the country, swapping the body just for weight is the last thing id do, especially since your talking about giving up the solid axle .
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

What the heck did you spend $40k on? 413 isn't bad by any means, but for $40k it seems like there was a LOT of money spent elsewhere that won't go with the motor swap.
If you bought a Z06 and just did heads/cam/headers you're closer to the 500 hp mark already.

As for a motor swap into something light.. I'm a little biased but sooner or later, I'm throwing a LS3 into my 944. At 2800 lbs (street dress) it should run with the FI guys.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Strange 12-bolt has 3:73's with the eaton heavy duty posi option and upgarded aluminum cover, new backing plates and full ABS and TCS.

FLT 4l65e is a race level 5 and it has a Yank SS3600 converter with AutoMeter full sweep electric tranny oil gauge.

PST 3.5" alum D/S with Spicer 1350 U-joints.

Forged 347 motor/fuel system is forged and built by NLP with a mezziere street H2O pump, 30# SVO injectors, Racetronix FP, Mamo AFR H/C cam setup, ARP headbolts, LS6 valley cover ... upgraded timing chain set, U/D pulley, LS6 oil pump ... all the stuff you'd normally want for dependability.

NX 150 wet kit with all the goodies, i.e., timing tuner, etc.

Suspesion has about $1,500 in parts.

Some more stuff I haven't thought of ... all-in-all with labor at $90 per hour, it comes to about $40K.

AFS black chrome ZR1 replica's fronts 17x9; rears 17x11.5

I've re-done the exhaust 3 times.

I'm taking it back to stock and want to sell the T/A ... after the motor swap I should be able to recoup some pretty good money out of the whole deal. I still need advice on what issues might arise with the swap ... anybody know?

My end goal is a nice street car until I can afford to have a 427 SB built for the Corvette with the new GM block that's coming out. I want to have it bored to 454 over, so, this is my final goal in a lightweight 2002 body/frame ... might even go with the 1999 FRC. I like those alot too ... just want to keep the costs down for now by swapping motors and sell the Trans Am.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in a similar boat, I had a twin turbo Firehawk and pawned it for a Corvette.

If you get the Zo6 you'll get the "gem" of a transmission along with it... it has shorter ratios (except 4th gear) compared to the standard t-56 found in all base 'Vettes and f-bodies.

I've driven HUNDREDS of C5's (boosted, built, and stock) and I'll say one thing, if I totalled my '01 Zo6 tomorrow, I'd buy another one instead of a regular C5.

But that's me.

I like the body lines of a Zo6 over a C5 coupe.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
I was in a similar boat, I had a twin turbo Firehawk and pawned it for a Corvette.

If you get the Zo6 you'll get the "gem" of a transmission along with it... it has shorter ratios (except 4th gear) compared to the standard t-56 found in all base 'Vettes and f-bodies.

I've driven HUNDREDS of C5's (boosted, built, and stock) and I'll say one thing, if I totalled my '01 Zo6 tomorrow, I'd buy another one instead of a regular C5.

But that's me.

I like the body lines of a Zo6 over a C5 coupe.

You have an awesome f**kin' car man. What years did your same body style come in as a Z06?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're doing a motor swap, you can save a ton of dough going with the 99-2000 FRC. The body rigidity is the same, the suspension upgrades are easy to match the Z06 and I personally prefer the M6 to the M12. However, don't expect that things are going to get any easier or cheaper with the 'vette. Corvette tax is excessive. If you just want a 'vette, then go for it, but if you're expecting to get more bang for the buck, you'll end up . You could make a monster out of the car you have with a dual stage 250 shot.

99 FRC
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

That Z06 style was made from 2001-2004. Before the Z06 the fixed roof coupe was available in 1999 and 2000. same style, but not as much performance.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all your replies. I guess maybe I should hold on to the TA. It's paid for and I could do APS twin turbos on the TA for about 8-9k. I just really want to have a fast Corvette without spending a lot of money ... just not something that's possible. Might even look at selling or trading the Trans Am for an already-built Corvette. I love the TA, but, for American muscle, nothing surpasses the Corvette name and quality, IMHO.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JEB99TA- Here's thousands of dollar's worth of free advice...

I just told you that I already had twin turbos.... (Incon used lto be the best street turbo setup until the APS kit came out. In fact the designer of the current APS kit was the lead engineer of the Incon/Lingenfelter kit)

I dumped a f#ckload of cash (and time) into my Trans Am... and in the end I liquidated it for a "better" car all around.

You've started this thread moaning about dumping too much $$$ for too little of your desires met.... and now you want to dump another f#ckload into the car you're already unsure about?!!!

Bro... drink some beer and find out what matters most, in the end.... you'll wish you'd done it sooner.

~Joshua
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
JEB99TA- Here's thousands of dollar's worth of free advice...

I just told you that I already had twin turbos.... (Incon used lto be the best street turbo setup until the APS kit came out. In fact the designer of the current APS kit was the lead engineer of the Incon/Lingenfelter kit)

I dumped a f#ckload of cash (and time) into my Trans Am... and in the end I liquidated it for a "better" car all around.

You've started this thread moaning about dumping too much $$$ for too little of your desires met.... and now you want to dump another f#ckload into the car you're already unsure about?!!!

Bro... drink some beer and find out what matters most, in the end.... you'll wish you'd done it sooner.

~Joshua

Don't need to drink more Corona's to decide what matters most ... just had that choice made for me. My daughter just got a letter of acceptance to UF as a Junior, so, my money will be going in the bank with the rest of my monthly retirement check for the kids college education. My son starts college next year, as well.

When they break my f**kin' *****, financially, and graduate ... well, maybe they'll let me drive their twin turbo Z06. DAMN! Corona's are the ****!!! Thanks for the intelligent advice ... more beers to make me tempted to spend more money ... .
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

i suggest an FRC is your wanting to go the vette route unless your heart truely desires the "Zoh6" name... you can always pick up a m12 for dirt cheap too... but i also suggest learning and trying to work on your own car to save all that overpriced bullshit labor hours that they're plucking from your tree
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
i suggest an FRC is your wanting to go the vette route unless your heart truely desires the "Zoh6" name... you can always pick up a m12 for dirt cheap too... but i also suggest learning and trying to work on your own car to save all that overpriced bullshit labor hours that they're plucking from your tree

Thanks. Contemplating making a full drag car out of the TA, so, I'll garage it until I can pay a credit card down. Thinking about going the FRC route once my daughter gets settled in for the Fall semester and my son gets his feet in the door next fall semester. I could swing it now, however, I just bought a high-dollar home back in January and need to continue to pay bills down before going into debt. And as I indicated earlier, the kids' education come first before my own needs.

I do all the stuff like header/exhaust install/brakes/intake swaps, etc.

Originally Posted by RrCoX22

Thanks. Contemplating making a full drag car out of the TA, so, I'll garage it until I can pay a credit card down. Thinking about going the FRC route once my daughter gets settled in for the Fall semester and my son gets his feet in the door next fall semester. I could swing it now, however, I just bought a high-dollar home back in January and need to continue to pay bills down before going into debt. And as I indicated earlier, the kids' educcation come first before my own needs.

Thanks again to all who have responded and offered constructive advice. It's appreciated.

Quick Reply: Anyone done this motor swap?