Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

1000whp Camaro SS or C5ZO6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 1000whp Camaro SS or C5ZO6?

Hey guys. I know you are probably all biased, but i need some opinions. This is mainly geared towards guys who have experienced both.

Basically I will be completing my newest turbo build by spring. Its turning out to be a top notch 1000whp 408 build in my 2001 Camaro SS. It is mainly a street car with a m6, and was just painted electron blue this past spring. the car is CLEAN. i will only sell it for big $$$, and already have people interested. i do NOT need to sell.

anyways, im a student at UB, and while i've had loads of fun with the power, im trying to get out of this much responsibility, along with the money that comes with it. Im looking for a CLEAN c5z06 within my specifications to just enjoy and cruise in. it will get some nice rims and some small, reliable performance (cam, exhaust). i really like the looks of the car, and obviously it would be fun.

my question is, who has done this swap? anybody regret it? anybody miss their built f-bod or the power?, or is it generally "got the vette and never looked back"?

thanks for the input guys, i need something to help clear up my mind
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
Hey guys. I know you are probably all biased, but i need some opinions. This is mainly geared towards guys who have experienced both.

Basically I will be completing my newest turbo build by spring. Its turning out to be a top notch 1000whp 408 build in my 2001 Camaro SS. It is mainly a street car with a m6, and was just painted electron blue this past spring. the car is CLEAN. i will only sell it for big $$$, and already have people interested. i do NOT need to sell.

anyways, im a student at UB, and while i've had loads of fun with the power, im trying to get out of this much responsibility, along with the money that comes with it. Im looking for a CLEAN c5z06 within my specifications to just enjoy and cruise in. it will get some nice rims and some small, reliable performance (cam, exhaust). i really like the looks of the car, and obviously it would be fun.

my question is, who has done this swap? anybody regret it? anybody miss their built f-bod or the power?, or is it generally "got the vette and never looked back"?

thanks for the input guys, i need something to help clear up my mind
I don't have experience on a built f-body only on a bolt-on F-body but if you want a street car with good power(cam, exhaust) and you want it to be reliable, get the Z06. but then again I'm baised.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

im not so much worried about the application of power. just worried that i'll regret getting rid of what i have and all the work i got into it...... (you know, the old "blood sweat and tears,.... and lots and lots of $$$)

wanting to make sure a zo6 would totally make up for it
Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you seem like you're pretty well off and don't NEED to sell the car, I'd buy the Z06 anyway and if its not everything you thought you can just sell it and you still have your car. That's why I did when I bought my T/A because I was undecided whether to keep my s10 or not. I had both and within a week the s10 went bye bye.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

If I were you I'd keep the camaro. It seems like you are in no way bored with your camaro. You will miss the feel of your camaro but like Tupac said "Change is good for any of us"<---(can't wait til a tupac fan corrects that) Just make sure you really think about what your doing because you don't want to end up $30k regret.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

well im definitely not "well off"

im a 21 year old college student. i work alot, and at the moment i live at home. that is lame, and while it's "okay" at the moment finishing up school, i want a nice place of my own. owning a house >>> owning nice cars. the only reason i've been able to build this car is because i've been building it up for years, on my own and with friends, and i save a lot of expenses by having a small rent at the nest :lame: im scratching by to complete this build, but i have people interested in it, knowing im looking for big bucks...

now that that's out of the way...

im excited about the current build now, because i see all the nice new shiney parts in front of me. but with the power comes a LOT of responsibility and upkeep. thats what is exhausting. not to mention, a vette is just an all around nicer car...and would be fun to cruise in
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

i have had many cars over a couple years and i can honestly say i would never sell my vette. sold both camaros, 2 talons, stealth, and everthing in between. but there is nothing like the vette feel. also it helps it has a 408 and 350 shot
Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

that is the type of stuff im looking for
Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

I had an SS before the Vette, but the SS was not even close to a 1000 rwhp as it was mainly just bolt ons. The diffence between the SS and Vette are night and handle: Looks better, handles better, rides better, more comfortable, easier to work on, and on and on. I would not go back.

Keith
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I have personal experience with this...

I have owned 2 WS6 Trans Am and loved them , I now own an 03 Z06 and low it.

I do however miss the WS6... If I could find a MINT Silver WS6 Six Speed for the right price from the right owner I would sell the Z06 and put the roughly 10k difference in to the motor and suspensio.

I do miss the back seat, the Ws6 looks sooo good, solid rear axle was nice....

On the other hand, Z06 is fast and real fast in the corners. So that is a plus..

Also keep in mind the Corvette TAX... I think this is less than a problem for some but it is real... Everything is more for a Vette.... Damn Valet even expects a higher tip,,, F* Them... They got to drive a sick vette thats pay enough.

- - Also people dont give the T/A the credit it deserves, just not the same respect as you get in a Vette.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Teching In

If you can deal with it, get out of cars until that magical time after you are out of school and before you are married. Seriously though, I know that's probably just not an option. Consider a few things:

- what will you do with 1000rwhp on the street anyway? The answer: nothing a 500rwhp car couldn't do on the street this side of freeway speeds. You will be itching to know what traction is ... something that you will only be able to find likely at 70+ mph. This is a recipe for disaster, tickets or both! OTOH - sheer bragging rights of owning 1000rwhp car would be tremendous!

- Say what you want ... you don't care what other people think, etc. but bottom line - I want to be noticed! it is my personality. I want people to do a double take when I am going down the street. Hardly anyone will do that with a Camaro. With a Corvette? You bet! The one thing that stuck out to me (and it was hard for me to understand before my neighbor told me this, as I always have loved F-bodies as much / more than Vettes!) but I had a low mileage, WS6 convertible. Man, was I proud of that thing! I thought the world was just in awe - until my neighbor said: "nice car! What is that...a ... formula 1 or something???"

WHAT?!?!?! He didn't know what a Trans Am was, much less a WS6 !!!

Right when I got a Corvette, guess what ... everyone knew off the bat what it was. Whenever I showed friends, they would gasp. How cool is that?! My favorite is my wife's friend coming over and my wife opened the garage door - the gasp that her friend let out....

Plus, this is what I keep thinking when my friend brags about getting an 03 cobra with lots of power and being able to whoop me. He may get me by a few car lengths, but in the end, I'm the one with the Vette - he still just has a mustang!

Anyway, that is my .03
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a pretty fast SS that I sold to buy my Z06. I dont regret it one bit, the only thing is the IRS in the vette can get expensive when you get into higher HP

If it was me I would combine them (turbo vette)....wait a minute...
Old 12-12-2007, 06:11 AM
10 Second Club

lol..... no insane HP in the vette for me.... yet... lol

as far as handling the power, i know there are limits in the street, no doubt. the car has been close to 800w the past two years. now its pretty much..., i have fun putting together the combo. if i keep it, the whole plan was build it big, and keep it small. the only time i'll crank it up is if i got a big race at the track or something. but ill need to borrow an auto anyways. the power can definitely help up top against liter bikes and the such. but i know that's getting stupid. i think im just starting to grow out of this stupid cycle of spending at the moment though, priorities are shifting
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
If I were you I'd keep the camaro. It seems like you are in no way bored with your camaro. You will miss the feel of your camaro but like Tupac said "Change is good for any of us"<---(can't wait til a tupac fan corrects that) Just make sure you really think about what your doing because you don't want to end up $30k regret.
Well, I am just surprised you are giving credit for advocating change to Tupac. Advocating change is about as common as saying you have to pee. Does Tupac get credit for announcing bladder status, also?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

My twin turbo Firehawk and my bolt-on Zo6 are two different animals.

If my Firehawk was parked outside.... I'd make the same move, sell it and buy the Corvette.

It's hooks up like there's no tomorrow and 150+ speeds feel very stable in the Corvette.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

my stock 2002 Z06 is just as fast as my 400rwhp H/C/gears SS.

a Z06 is NOT a very refined car.

BUT, it is MUCH nicer than an SS.

and i will also never look back.
Attached Thumbnails 1000whp Camaro SS or C5ZO6?-z06vsssmall.jpg  
Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

I didnt have an F body but I had a Whippled 03 Cobra that I sold for my 01Z and I DO NOT regret it at all!!! The cobra was obviously making more power like your Camaro is, but the vette is just an all around nicer car. I am also 21 and the looks you get while in a vette as a younger person is classic, lol. I also bought the vette because I wanted to do more auto-x and road course. I have also found that the corvette community is great aswell. Good luck with your decision I know its hard!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

After changing the sways, shocks, cam, heads and exhaust (which you will), you really just bought some expensive "Z06" fender emblems. Save 12k and buy an FRC. Keep the Camaro. Sold mine, got the Vette. Missed the SS, bought it back. Now I have both. Happily ever after.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

I miss my camaro......sure you will get a lot of attention, but thats just not my style. You get a lot of respect, but i would rather earn it. If i had the chance to trade for a som or silver m6 ws6 or ss ii would do it in a minute. Im just more along the lines of hardcore racing. The ZO6 is just too high of a profile for me. Just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sold my Cammed, Suspension, Full Bolt-on 02 Z28 for my FRC and would never look back! Now if I wanted to drag race, the f-body wins hands down in my opinion but I wanted a sheer all around car that did a little bit of everything and the vette does that for me.

Quick Reply: 1000whp Camaro SS or C5ZO6?