Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette Vs. Trans Am(Personal review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, mark the 1st one off the list...lol
I just bought some Eclipse SE8235's for the doors!
Damn this addiction!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Just wandering about swaping the door speakers. did the door panels go back on tight?
I thought you couldnt swap the facotry Bose out with other speakers because the Bose were power assisted in theirselves?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by David Gordon
Just wandering about swaping the door speakers. did the door panels go back on tight?
I thought you couldnt swap the facotry Bose out with other speakers because the Bose were power assisted in theirselves?
Thats what i kept reading, but i swapped the headunit out without by-passing anything, and it sounds perfect (as good as stock speakers get)
Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Ive been researching this for days. You can change the 3.5s in the door and the 6.5's in the hatch, so long as you use a 4 Ohm speaker.
The specific speakers that I found include:
FRONT:
Boston Accoustics S35s
Eclipse SE8233
Infinity Reference 3012CF
REAR:
Boston Accoustics S55's
Eclipse SE8353
Infinity Reference 6012I

I went with the Eclipse SE8235's, which, to my understanding, are just an upgraded SE8233.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good review. I feel the same way having switched.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Great read, thanks for the write up. I'm selling my '99 Z28. Once that sells I will be looking for and buying a '03 Z06...preferably in black. I'm ready to give the 'Vette a go. I love the f-bodies, but i'm ready for a change. The great part is I plan on keeping both SS'. I hope to have the best of both worlds and not get tired of the Camaro's when I get the Vette...we shall see.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Teching In

To be honest, The fbodies are nice cars, but the Corvette is in another class. All around performance in a vette is hard to beat. C5's are great but the C6s(performance wise, looks are still okay) are better.
Nice comparison by the way.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heh. My Z28 would slaughter my Z06 in a straight line and it handles pretty good too with the Strano suspension stuff. However, there is no denying that the C5 is a far better platform...as it should be considering the price difference. I don't think anybody would be unhappy going from a LS1 F-body to a C5. However, it sure is nice to have both...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

You are all welcome. I had a hard time making the decision myself and just KNEW there were others with similar issues and situations...loyal F-body enthusiest, built car....now, bored. Im not bored anymore!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This really helps me out on my future purchase. Although it's a comparison, it does tell me alot about the Corvette, and how it'll be to drive. Thanks man.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently switched from a 1998 Trans Am to a 2008 C6 Coupe. These cars are like night and day different. The interior, power and handling are vastly improved on the C6. My TA was more raw and just plain hauled ***. Going from an A4 to a M6 was well worth it and much more fun to drive. Glad I made the jump
Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gotavette
To be honest, The fbodies are nice cars, but the Corvette is in another class. All around performance in a vette is hard to beat. C5's are great but the C6s(performance wise, looks are still okay) are better.
Nice comparison by the way.
Do a search on the C5Z Vs C6, the C5Z is a much better performer. Also looks are a biased opinion. I prefer the look of the C5Z over the C6 any day, hence the reason I bought a C5Z. I am just not much for the European looks of the C6.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

I love both, so we kept both.

Camaro is getting a LSX 454 this year... Z06 will get a LS6 383 with an APS TT kit next year.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Yes the c5s do look better and stock for stock a c5z is just a tad quicker than the c6 coupe. But the c6 is advanced beyond a c5. The didn't just change the looks they changed alot of things with the c6 performance. I could care less for the c6 looks as well. When you compare the 08 c6 there is no question about it, it is a better performer than a c5z. It is faster to. The ls3 is no joke. I love my c5 and will always have it as long as i can but i plan to add a c6z. Those cars are hard to beat.

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
Do a search on the C5Z Vs C6, the C5Z is a much better performer. Also looks are a biased opinion. I prefer the look of the C5Z over the C6 any day, hence the reason I bought a C5Z. I am just not much for the European looks of the C6.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Wow, I should not have read this thread haha. You guys are making me wish I had bought a Z06 vette or C6 now instead of my CETA firebird. Yikes, what to do, what to do?!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bones87
Wow, I should not have read this thread haha. You guys are making me wish I had bought a Z06 vette or C6 now instead of my CETA firebird. Yikes, what to do, what to do?!
I am sure you could get a nice price for that CETA, sell her and get yourself a Vette bro!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

I am sure you could get a nice price for that CETA, sell her and get yourself a Vette bro!!!
lol... Mine!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

"Much" better performer? I don't think so. I've owned both. A C6 Z51 (LS2) is damn close to a C5 Z06 stock for stock with the advantage to the Z06. The 2008 Z51 (LS3) is definitely faster. Now if you start modifying, all bets are off.

You can't make a blanket statement anymore about the C5Z being faster that a "C6".
Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CySevans
"Much" better performer? I don't think so. I've owned both. A C6 Z51 (LS2) is damn close to a C5 Z06 stock for stock with the advantage to the Z06. The 2008 Z51 (LS3) is definitely faster. Now if you start modifying, all bets are off.

You can't make a blanket statement anymore about the C5Z being faster that a "C6".
Well first off I was referring to the ls2 05-07 model since the vast majority of them on the street right now are ls2 powered. I know how fast the ls3's can be once you remove the overbearing TM on the car. I was also speaking in the context that all cars mentioned were stock. Of course you can mod any car to beat any car. So I was not going to make a hollow statement like that. My point was not just on the power aspect of the cars. The C5Z will out handle a Z51 C6, if you do not believe me that is also the general consensus on the corvetteforum.com, The C6 has less feel of the road, the steering is numb compared to the C5Z. Many members on the CF who have sold thier C5Z for a C6 have then returned to the C5Z for the reasons I have mentioned and others. As one person who did this said " If you want a race car get the C5Z, if you want a Cadillac get the C6." The C6 is heavier than the C5Z so it scores a loss in that category. I do not want to rant on and on, go to the CF and research this topic yourself there are countless threads and they all back up what I am saying. If you mod the cars all bets are off yes, you need to get the crippling TM off the ls3 before it will shine. This was in no way a blanket statement. Sorry if the first one was I just did not feel like writing a book that day.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Well first off I was referring to the ls2 05-07 model since the vast majority of them on the street right now are ls2 powered. I know how fast the ls3's can be once you remove the overbearing TM on the car. I was also speaking in the context that all cars mentioned were stock. Of course you can mod any car to beat any car. So I was not going to make a hollow statement like that. My point was not just on the power aspect of the cars. The C5Z will out handle a Z51 C6, if you do not believe me that is also the general consensus on the corvetteforum.com, The C6 has less feel of the road, the steering is numb compared to the C5Z. Many members on the CF who have sold thier C5Z for a C6 have then returned to the C5Z for the reasons I have mentioned and others. As one person who did this said " If you want a race car get the C5Z, if you want a Cadillac get the C6." The C6 is heavier than the C5Z so it scores a loss in that category. I do not want to rant on and on, go to the CF and research this topic yourself there are countless threads and they all back up what I am saying. If you mod the cars all bets are off yes, you need to get the crippling TM off the ls3 before it will shine. This was in no way a blanket statement. Sorry if the first one was I just did not feel like writing a book that day.
I speak from experience. Other opinions will vary, naturally. And I truly hope you are not using the drag strip as your benchmark.

Incidentally, I am a member of Corvette Forum and Digital Corvettes. I've read it all. Had the C5Z for 2 years and the C6 Z51 for about the same amount of time. Both are great cars. I just prefer the C6. Yes, the C5Z is a bit faster, but certainly not a "much better performer" by any stretch of the imagination.

Quick Reply: Corvette Vs. Trans Am(Personal review)