Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Which is the better platform for bigger power

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A vettes a vette but a Z06 is a Z06! Don't mess around, just buy the Z06.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
A vettes a vette but a Z06 is a Z06! Don't mess around, just buy the Z06.
Yup. At the end of the day a Z06 is a Z06.

I've heard nothing but great things about the LS3 though...
Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, the C6 platform is WAY easier to drive. Car spins WAY less,...handles power much easier. Much easier to launch. C5's are completely different animals.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously....

Get the Zo6. Wait until you can if needed..... you'll thank me (after the purchase.)
Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys! Another consideration is that I've heard/read from several sources that the 427's last year is 09, and the replacement will be the cadillac supercharged 6.2L (or something along those lines); anyway, if theres going to be a major change, a thought would be to do the LS3 now, and trade up when the newer/(possibly supercharged) Z06 is out. Any thoughts? And is this story of 09 being the last year of the LS7, or is this some dumb rumor?

RT
Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DocT
Thanks guys! Another consideration is that I've heard/read from several sources that the 427's last year is 09, and the replacement will be the cadillac supercharged 6.2L (or something along those lines); anyway, if theres going to be a major change, a thought would be to do the LS3 now, and trade up when the newer/(possibly supercharged) Z06 is out. Any thoughts? And is this story of 09 being the last year of the LS7, or is this some dumb rumor?

RT
From what I have read and heard you are correct about the LS7 being shown the door. Your idea on getting an LS3 now then trading in is not bad. My only concerns on the matter would be that you will not be able to put many miles on it. Or if you decided to mod it that may hurt the trade in value. You said "trade up", so you may mean just sell the car instead of actually trading in at a stealership. I think you would get more money out of an out right sale then a trade in as you already know I am sure.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
From what I have read and heard you are correct about the LS7 being shown the door. Your idea on getting an LS3 now then trading in is not bad. My only concerns on the matter would be that you will not be able to put many miles on it. Or if you decided to mod it that may hurt the trade in value. You said "trade up", so you may mean just sell the car instead of actually trading in at a stealership. I think you would get more money out of an out right sale then a trade in as you already know I am sure.
I always TRY to sell outright, and not via dealership, but sometimes it's much easier to just stroll in, trade, quickly and quietly take in the backside, and leave with a smile on my face and a frown on my backside But seriously, I doubt I'd do much mods (probably LT headers, tune, intake), things that I could reverse for the trade/sale. Another thing would be the resale...traditionally I'd say that the Z06 would hold it's value much, much better; however, with the major different newer Z06 out (at the time of trade-up) the demand may be quite different... grrrrrr, so many variables to consider!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

, a thought would be to do the LS3 now, and trade up when the newer/(possibly supercharged) Z06 is out.
Car trade-ins 101....

Buy what you want the first time around is the actual lesson of the day.

You get *squat* on trade in, even with the tax credit -you lose... multiply that with the scale the finance companies use ( they know you'll pay it off early so they collect their fees in a sliding scale up front. Very little of your cash goes towards your principle in the first 2-3 years)

You'll be F#CKED when it comes to trade in the future.... unless you like/enjoy dumping serous cash on the table to put things together time after time... (tip of the day) just buy your dream the 1st time around....

My honest opinion is to get a very nice '06- '07 Zo6 for the best price possible ( private party -no sales tax) with the bank "JJ Best" with 10% down and spread the payments out (up to 96 if needed) This bank is buying at STRONG (low) interest rates right now and it wont last (cycles)

Class is out.

~Joshua
Old 03-21-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Car trade-ins 101....

Buy what you want the first time around is the actual lesson of the day.

You get *squat* on trade in, even with the tax credit -you lose... multiply that with the scale the finance companies use ( they know you'll pay it off early so they collect their fees in a sliding scale up front. Very little of your cash goes towards your principle in the first 2-3 years)

You'll be F#CKED when it comes to trade in the future.... unless you like/enjoy dumping serous cash on the table to put things together time after time... (tip of the day) just buy your dream the 1st time around....

My honest opinion is to get a very nice '06- '07 Zo6 for the best price possible ( private party -no sales tax) with the bank "JJ Best" with 10% down and spread the payments out (up to 96 if needed) This bank is buying at STRONG (low) interest rates right now and it wont last (cycles)

Class is out.

~Joshua
Thanks for the heads-up Joshua! The main reason I'd be leaning more towards the 08Z is the newer style tranny. I haven't heard any negatives, only positives...saying that it's stouter, and easier/faster shifting than the previous model. (anyone who has substantial negative information concerning the new tranny's, please chime in!)

You're absolutely correct, I totally agree with the "get what you want the first time" thing; however, now, what I want is the ZR1...but dammit, I refuse to pay the ginormous dealer markup that everyone is claiming. I had a dealer representative this morning (and a forum member) say that $100K dealer markup on top of the $100K MSRP is to be expected. So, with that in mind, the Z06 would be the next choice. I do believe that I could "settle" for the Z06 (black or AOM, thank you very much!)

Anyway, thanks again for the class, it was very illuminating!

RT
Old 03-21-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

So you feel that the LS7 is the better platform?

RT
If you can afford a Z06 ,Then a trip to the machinest for a forged internals with better sleeves
A trip to the turo guy.

Then get your insurance in order

Call it big dog
nobody will dispute

John
Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blktie8
If you can afford a Z06 ,Then a trip to the machinest for a forged internals with better sleeves
A trip to the turo guy.

Then get your insurance in order

Call it big dog
nobody will dispute

John
I was under the impression that the LS7 has a forged bottom??? Is that not true, and if not, what components are?

RT
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

I was under the impression that the LS7 has a forged bottom??? Is that not true, and if not, what components are?

RT
I does have forged internals..... and the connecting rods are titanium. Lighter, yet stronger than steel.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Joshua! Thats what I was looking for! You sold me, a Z06 will be my next goal!!!

RT
Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Thanks Joshua! Thats what I was looking for! You sold me, a Z06 will be my next goal!!!

RT
Mine too!
(Unless the C7 drawings start showing some serious lines....)
(I'm also worried the CAFE standards clips the C7's *****...

I may end up with a C6 afterall (Zo6)
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

I does have forged internals..... and the connecting rods are titanium. Lighter, yet stronger than steel.
OOP's pistons are Hyperutetic
Rods are NOT strong enough for a turbo car
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

^ I knew the pistons were a strong hyper make-up....

And max effort turbo... fine you cant use the titanium rods for huge hp (above 8 psi)

But hell, with more than 6psi on a boosted C6Z you have no traction anyway...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I knew the pistons were a strong hyper make-up....

And max effort turbo... fine you cant use the titanium rods for huge hp (above 8 psi)

But hell, with more than 6psi on a boosted C6Z you have no traction anyway...
So you think that 6psi or less would be OK on a stock bottom end then?

BTW, I hear ya on the CAFE laws...I certainly hope that it doesn't effect the C7's, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it does neuter them
guess we'll have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: Which is the better platform for bigger power