Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Mail order tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mail order tunes?

How good are the mail order tunes and what do they offer for 08's?
Are they just a plug and play like superchips or how do they install?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most mail order tunes either have you send your pcm to them or they send you a new one already tuned and you send your in for a core. Now one of our sponsors Trifecta sends a tune in a hand held with plugs to your diagnostic port. The guy at Trifecta is from PCMFORLESS and I used them for a tune on my H/C/I/E T/A. I was very surprised at how well the tune was done. I had zero drivability issues and power through out the rpm range. This was my only option besides driving out of state since there are no good tuners here in Nashville for the Lsx. Just stick to one of the reputable shops for your tune and you should get a quality job. It will never be as exact as a dyno tune, but they can get very close. I would recommend using Trifecta. If you happen to have problems with your tune you can call them, they will e-mail you a new tune. Then you can hook the hand held up to your computer and download the new tune, then upload to your pcm. As for them tuning on an 08 Ls3, just contact them and see how much experience they have with the Ls3 and its tuning. Having an Ls3 you need a tune asap to kill the TM that is holding you back.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Just go to LG Motorsports David, they aren't far away from you.. they have done some impressive things with the LS3's so far..

Don't waste your time on a mail order tune..
Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by David Gordon
As close as you are, don't mess around, go to LG motorsports one afternoon, get it done right! I've done the mail order tune; it wasn't bad, but I did have issues. Get it done right, you've spent a lot of money on a good car, don't skimp now, have them look at it physically. There is nothing like physically, hands on, dealing with your tune! You'll thank me later!

RT
Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DocT
As close as you are, don't mess around, go to LG motorsports one afternoon, get it done right! I've done the mail order tune; it wasn't bad, but I did have issues. Get it done right, you've spent a lot of money on a good car, don't skimp now, have them look at it physically. There is nothing like physically, hands on, dealing with your tune! You'll thank me later!

RT
I agree, LG is one of the best in any state so there's no sense in using mail order with them only an hour or two away. There are some mail order guys with good reps, Chuck Cow, etc. but nothing beats having it tuned while it's on the dyno.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Definitely forget the mail order idea. The best thing is to get your PCM tuned at a shop like the others have mentioned. It will work better to exactly what you have and the conditions at your location. Mail order tunes are generic and normally do not yield the best results.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

mail order tunes =

Dyno tunes are not great eigther.... (wide open throttle only/fan settings/etc)

Street tunes are the best... (hp tuners/efi-live)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
mail order tunes =

Dyno tunes are not great eigther.... (wide open throttle only/fan settings/etc)

Street tunes are the best... (hp tuners/efi-live)
+1
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed
+1
x2
Old 03-26-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gordon

Now,...first and foremost, let me clear this up,..there is no better way then to tune a car,...THAT CAR, ON THAT DAY,...on the dyno or a street tune.

That said. Some people just can't make it to dyno's. Some people can't MOD there cars, more then a "mail order tune". And I fully understand that. So does DIABLOSPORT. I gotta tell you, this company tests and tests and tests and tests trying to make optimal tunes for specific vehicles.

If you want a TOOL, that you can OWN and keep forever,...scan, data log, ALTER/MODIFY your tune/calibration,...setup/etc....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEIR PRODUCT HANDS DOWN to anything else. I recommend the Predator product from them. THEY ARE a sponsor here. And they're very dedicated with service.

If you WANT a handheld tuner, which I gotta tell you I use everytime I take my car out,...check them out. It's affordable,..and perfect for those that CAN't make a dyno trip,..or want to sdpend 300-600 bucks to tune there STOCK car.

PM me if you have questions...or hit up Mike L @ diablosport

Plus, you can always return the car to stock, and re-sell it. Or, if you ADD performance mods to the car, you CAN go to a CMR(chip master revolution) dealer,...and they can tune the predator with that software,...as it is diablosports.

Hope this helps. And, again people.....not EVRYONE has the same goals or needs with there car, ...... not everyone is hardcore.

I however,...use my predator all the time.....and my car has been on the dyno(tuned on the dyno) more then anyone posting in this section.....times 5.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
and my car has been on the dyno(tuned on the dyno) more then anyone posting in this section.....times 5.
I am not sure about the times 5 deal, but I would be willing to bet I am close in dyno pulls.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sigforty
I am not sure about the times 5 deal, but I would be willing to bet I am close in dyno pulls.

My car hasn't spent hours on the dyno...it's spent days. I've got over 50 tuning files that have been WRITTEN, and stored/saved. I've had almost every setup on my car....working on the next.

Heads and cam cars shouldn't require as much time as a nitrous or boosted car. Ever. Besides that,...most of the time spent on the dyno for myhas been driveability. That was key, and the main reason why I choose Diablosport. We've built soo many setups on NEW cars, and have had great success with NEW car OWNERS and diablosports work. Soo, my car runs like a stock car...in some cases better at normal driving/idling. Which is pretty cool,..considering setup.

Anyways..not trying to dyno race you...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

You just did ( I think) and you cut a nice 60 foot time too!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
You just did ( I think) and you cut a nice 60 foot time too!

lol...hopefully it was quicker up top.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

My car hasn't spent hours on the dyno...it's spent days. I've got over 50 tuning files that have been WRITTEN, and stored/saved. I've had almost every setup on my car....working on the next.

Heads and cam cars shouldn't require as much time as a nitrous or boosted car. Ever. Besides that,...most of the time spent on the dyno for myhas been driveability. That was key, and the main reason why I choose Diablosport. We've built soo many setups on NEW cars, and have had great success with NEW car OWNERS and diablosports work. Soo, my car runs like a stock car...in some cases better at normal driving/idling. Which is pretty cool,..considering setup.

I hear ya. I just wanted to point out that the comment my not be a true statement for all people.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hear you.

Quick Reply: Mail order tunes?