Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

383 stroker question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker question...

I am really considering getting a stroker kit for the z but I was wondering if i didnt have any other mods other than the one in my sig would I still gain some hp and torque? I would eventually get new heads and a cam with headers but dont have the money right now. What problems could I run into and what gains would be likely? Also does anyone have a suggestion I was looking into a lunati kit. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you will definitely pick up HP and TQ even with everything else remaining stock. How much? I have no idea... Are you doing this because of budget constraints? If so, Eagle would be cheaper than Lunati...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

I would not shell out the money on a stroker unless you had the two basics of which you have one (headers, and CAI). The stroker will move a lot more air and it would significantly hurt the power production if you cannot remove the exhaust. If you are building a stroker you will definitely need to change the cam. A stock Z06 cam in stroker would not efficiently feed the larger cubic inches.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

by the time all is said and done, wont you be spending more on a stroker kit than you would on a cam or set of heads?? (providing you don't go with the most expensive heads out there...)
Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ironexecutioner
by the time all is said and done, wont you be spending more on a stroker kit than you would on a cam or set of heads?? (providing you don't go with the most expensive heads out there...)
Parts wise yes..... install costs not even close. It is actually cheaper to buy a 383 shortblock assembled that the parts/kit and have it installed. Installing the crank, rods, pistons, bearings, etc takes a lot and you NEED to know what you are doing.

I would do a head and cam package first. It will give you a good increase in power and torque. Whant you start adding other mods like headers, CAI, and so on, you will even more power/torque. When you finally have all the bolt ons with the head/cam package and that still is not enough, get a nice stroker shortblock( 383, 402, 418, 427, 454, .... ) and you can then reuse all the bolt ons, heads, and cam( maybe.... ).

Keith
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1290
Parts wise yes..... install costs not even close. It is actually cheaper to buy a 383 shortblock assembled that the parts/kit and have it installed. Installing the crank, rods, pistons, bearings, etc takes a lot and you NEED to know what you are doing.

I would do a head and cam package first. It will give you a good increase in power and torque. Whant you start adding other mods like headers, CAI, and so on, you will even more power/torque. When you finally have all the bolt ons with the head/cam package and that still is not enough, get a nice stroker shortblock( 383, 402, 418, 427, 454, .... ) and you can then reuse all the bolt ons, heads, and cam( maybe.... ).

Keith
I have to say the numbers your old 383 put out are pretty discouraging, although you are at 5800 elevation. What was your setup?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I have to say the numbers your old 383 put out are pretty discouraging, although you are at 5800 elevation. What was your setup?
Two things to keep in mind:

1) That was through an unlocked A4. If it was a M6, it would have been in the 450ish range pretty easy.

2) That engine combo was about 7 to 7.5 years ago. Head and cams has come a long way since then. The heads where 5.3L ones milled to 52cc chambers and ported flowing about 290cfm. The cam was a 229/229//578/578//112. Back then that cam was huge and the heads where some of the best flowing one.

Keith
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Buy a used supercharger kit....

I see them around 4k all the time....

You'd get the best power out of that with your current engine considering the investment/labor.