Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Heads/cam build on my C5:)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Heads/cam build on my C5:)

well guys. an update, my car's going in for surgery tomorrow(March 28th) I'm taking it from my storage unit out to my dad's shop to start building. He's letting me take his shop for a 5-6 days so i can take my time. Although i don't plan to I should have it mostly tore apart tomorrow and then maybe clean up all the parts that go back on and get the cam in the car probably. i should have it done in 3 days with the motor and started up. Then i'll do the HUD install and probably lower the car last:driver: YAY!!!~Cole~
P.S. TSP 228R cam, Z06 heads, TSP headers, oil pump, ARP studs, ASP underdrive, LS6 intake, Z06 Ti's, HUD install and Lowering it
Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

well have the intake, radiator, fans, condensor, intake manifold, valley pan, fuel lines, steering rack, sway bar, p/s pump and lines all out. Now i'm gonna be pulling the heads, rockers, and possibly the front timing cover and oil pump. ~Cole~
Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yeah, Thats going to be a nice street set up. Are you 243's ported or factory? What are you doing for a tune, you have an appointment somewhere?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like one hell of a project. Good luck and can't wait to see how you do. Shouldn't have too hard of a time hitting 400 rwhp, or at least very close. Again good luck getting all that stuff done.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome man. Let me know if you need any help or info on specs or whatever. Sounds like you've got it under control though. Done the heads up mod as well,...wasn't soo bad at all. Have fun with the new found setup.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

wish you luck man , Can you pm where do you got the HUD parts i got 98 vette also .

thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

exhaust manifolds are unbolted from heads. The lower bolts didn't want to break loose so i put penetrating oil on them for overnight to help break them in the morning and then heads are coming off. Rockers are out along with pushrods, waterpump and the steering rack is completley out and cleaned up ready for reinstall. Tomorrow morning i'll pull the balancer and then front cover, timing set and heads. Cam and lifters will get pulled and then reinstall the new cam and timing set and cover. Then it's put the rest together. Reinstall will be the smoothest now that i know all what gets put in.~Cole~
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

WhosNXT~ The heads are just polished, no porting and the tuning is gonna be done by Doug Rippie motorsports. i'm gonna drive for 200 miles before i bring it there so i know the motor's together and can take the Dyno tuning. I won't be getting on it that 200 miles though. I have a Palm scanner with what they call the LS1m program and can scan all perameters of the engine. This way i can make sure the knock levels and stuff. Doug Rippie told me that the cam i got is about the same as top engine builds they do so they are familiar with it and they have a tune that will be really close and then they will tweak it as needed. I'm excited, engine should be up and running by sunday if all goes right tomorrow~Cole~
Old 03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, I have heard good things about him. It will be a different car, I would be excited too! Good luck, hope all goes smooth for ya.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well bro, you certainly have done a lot of work in short amount of time. Keep the updates coming.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

well now i'm putting it back together Cam is in and i've got the timing perfect. i tried it 4 times to make sure. Dot's line up everytime #1 is TDC. Now i'm basically check tq. specs and making sure i got 'em right. ~Cole~
Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

heads are off, block is cleaned and ready for install of heads. The cam was pulled and the new one installed. Timing set was installed and timed(i cranks the motor 5-6 times to make sure it was dot to dot) Oil pump was installed and i made sure the O-Ring was in there when the pickup tube was bolted on. Cover was put back on and balancer is installed. Rack is also back in the car and bolted to the front spindles. I'm gonna head back out, after a snack here, to put in the studs, and finish hooking up P/S lines and all the electrical stuff i can while I'm down there. Will also be putting the wheels back on the front. Tomorrow i will reinstall the top end, valve train, heads, intake and fuel lines and HOPEFULLY start it Sunday sometime. Probably later afternoon tomorrow I will TRY and get the startup on video although i can't guarantee that i'll have the camera. Wish me luck on the startup and finishing of the engine project. Thanks for listening~cole~
Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best wishes.

Doug Rippie is a cool dude. Classic road racer. Probably gonna see some cool **** as his shop,....bring a camera.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Good luck and try to post that video!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

ROAD BLOCK i got f*cked by a member. Told me the ARP studs i bought were for the pre '04 blocks. I went to double check the box number and low and behold they were for a '04+ block SO now i paid $100 to Next day Air some right ones from TSP
Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
ROAD BLOCK i got f*cked by a member. Told me the ARP studs i bought were for the pre '04 blocks. I went to double check the box number and low and behold they were for a '04+ block SO now i paid $100 to Next day Air some right ones from TSP
Wow that sucks !! You are a machine man, doing very well on your project and boom hit the wall. I'm sure you will have her back together and running in no time once those ARP studs arrive. Thanks for keeping everyone updated. Pretty exciting seeing someone do their own swap. Good luck bro.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

well Sunday i will get the water pump on and the radiator back in. Then it'll just be the heads, valvetrain and intake. I'm still pissed but i guess i can do my HUD install until my studs get here~Cole~
Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keep your head up, you are a lot closer to being done then you think. Sorry to hear about the member sending you the wrong studs. Have you been in contact with them to rectify the situation ??
Old 03-30-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

yeah no luck. i'm just gonna have to try and sell them and make up the money that way
Old 03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well did more stuff today, put the radiators, fans, waterpump, lines, and hoses all hooked up, lifters, and pulled the dash to install the HUD Pics below:~Cole~

P.S. Also HUD is IN the car and just waiting to reinstall the dash so the Epoxy set's up good.

Quick Reply: Heads/cam build on my C5:)