Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Interesting tidbit on LS3/A6 "quicker upshift" GM claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting tidbit on LS3/A6 "quicker upshift" GM claim

I don't how many here still recieve the "Corvette Quarterly" mag, but buried in the back of the current issue, the engineers from GM talk about the current transmisions in the LS3 C6s. A little point stuck out to me and it was as follows:
(in the A6) "To quicken upshifts,we implemented a strategy called Torque Management...a momentary reduction in the amount of engine output shortens the torque phase of each commanded upshift. The net result is a 25% faster response." "Since minimal TM is used when the transmission handles upshifts automatically,the sport mode should be used if the driver's priority is flat out acceleration."
So, what I gather from it is this: to satisfy the demand for a quicker response from the paddle shifting feature, rather than actually improve the current software or hardware, GM just put a larger handicap on the LS3's torque output.Those of you who have asked your dealership for the current A6 programming for the 05-07's just added more TM to your tranny for a minor improvement on response time of your paddles.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff bro. Thanks for sharing.