Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

bought ssautochrome headers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought ssautochrome headers...

i just bought the ssautochrome longtubes headers and xpipe...i have a decent size cam and bb catback and ls6 intake and varramm cai...will these headers gain me alot more power over the bbk shorties and stock catted hpipe?? how much difference do u think it will be?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

I'm more curious to know how they'll fit.

Are they bolt-in? That's the question....

All longtubes are good for 25+ rwhp...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know the new revision was out yet and I thought the X-pipe only came with the new ones?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

hmmmmmmm
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I didn't know the new revision was out yet and I thought the X-pipe only came with the new ones?
idk..they look good in the pics...i paid 522 shipped for the headers and xpipe...they are stainless...
Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do they fit?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonsterZ28
how do they fit?
haventgot them yet in the mail....anyone else have these?:
Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh lol if theyre good quality ill pick up a set too, i hate that headers are 500 for f bodys and 1500 for vettes
Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh.... the famous Ebay headers. From all the threads I have read, the quality is below average, the fit is marginal, and the gains are mediocre.

Keith
Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

I would gladly take "mediocre" gains and pay 1/3 the price of other headers. I think that's enough savings to justify having to modify your tunnel plate for the O2's or getting a custom X to fab up. And it's not like these things make 1/2 the power of the more expensive ones. LT's are LT's for the most part when they're both 1 3/4" and both a true LT design but the expensive ones typically make a few more RWHP than the cheap ones.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

Lou Giglotitcaii can suck my Magnum sized *** for charging $1600 for headerz.

People are fuggin stuuupid for spending 1000+ on frigin' pipes.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Red99TA
LT's are LT's for the most part when they're both 1 3/4" and both a true LT design but the expensive ones typically make a few more RWHP than the cheap ones.
That is far from the truth. Anyone can weld up some pipes so that they 'fit'. Most of the times with these, the header tubes are not equal lengths. For LT headers, all four tubes need to be the same length for proper scavaging & velocity. LT headers of non equal length show gains slightly over shorty headers. If you are good with that, when why not buy shorty headers an save even more money. Also, the more expensive headers do not start to rust or have welds that break after a year or two. If you feel the headers are worth it, then by all means go for it.

Keith
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I'm waiting on the new version to come out before even considering one of them... a vendor on another forum is directly involved in having them reconstructed to bring the qualify and fit up to par... i think they'll be a hit personally.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FullOutPwr
I'm waiting on the new version to come out before even considering one of them... a vendor on another forum is directly involved in having them reconstructed to bring the qualify and fit up to par... i think they'll be a hit personally.
That's exactly what I'm waiting for. I don't need any emissions connections so no worry about those breaking off. LT's and ORX for near $500
Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1290
That is far from the truth. Anyone can weld up some pipes so that they 'fit'. Most of the times with these, the header tubes are not equal lengths. For LT headers, all four tubes need to be the same length for proper scavaging & velocity. LT headers of non equal length show gains slightly over shorty headers. If you are good with that, when why not buy shorty headers an save even more money. Also, the more expensive headers do not start to rust or have welds that break after a year or two. If you feel the headers are worth it, then by all means go for it.

Keith
um not according to Super Chevy March 2008, " The virtures of equal-length primaries make for great advertising propaganda and bench racing discussion, but they're neither necessary nor practical in a street car. The goal with equal length primaries is to tune the exhaust pulses by experimentaling with different primary lengths. If done correctly, the exhuast wave will arrive at the exhaust valve right when it opens to maximize scavenging. In reality when you put each type of header on the dyno, the power difference between the two is negligible. In NASCAR or Pro Stock motors, where a 1hp improvement is considered a huge deal, having equal-length primares is more important, However, you are splitting hairs by comparing headers with equal-length primaries and non-equal-length primaries in a street application"
With that being said I'm not saying these headers will fit great and obviously dont have the research behind them but when you are paying 1000+ for headers you are paying for research, materials, company name and with corvette's.... a corvette tax. Anyway, good luck with the install and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have version 2 i love them. The fit and quality is great. The x pipe didn't seam long enough but i had a shop make cat delete pipes anyway to fix the problem. I paieed 420 shipped about 7 months ago for the whole package on ebay. What a deal im very happy and i can't wait to see numbers with a supercharger ( early July). Thanks mike
Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will definitely see gains from them over shorties. Shorties dont do much on these cars.

BTW... I saw ZERO HP gain and literally a couple ft. lbs of torque by swapping my Stainless works headers for LG "Pro" headers on my car. And to top it off, one of my collectors on the SW's was busted up so I know it wasn't flowing as well as it should have been. That was the only reason I swapped to the LG's

BTW, I've seen a lot better looking "merge collectors" than the LG's come with.
Header market is a rip off for a C5. TSP has some that aren't bad either.

Bottom Line.. You will NOT see 3x the gain from LG's over your $500 headers to justify the price...

BTW, buddy of mine has LG's and smashed his X-pipe. They would NOT sell a replacement X-pipe for them. "they come as a set"/
Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve01SS
You will definitely see gains from them over shorties. Shorties dont do much on these cars.

BTW... I saw ZERO HP gain and literally a couple ft. lbs of torque by swapping my Stainless works headers for LG "Pro" headers on my car. And to top it off, one of my collectors on the SW's was busted up so I know it wasn't flowing as well as it should have been. That was the only reason I swapped to the LG's

BTW, I've seen a lot better looking "merge collectors" than the LG's come with.
Header market is a rip off for a C5. TSP has some that aren't bad either.

Bottom Line.. You will NOT see 3x the gain from LG's over your $500 headers to justify the price...

BTW, buddy of mine has LG's and smashed his X-pipe. They would NOT sell a replacement X-pipe for them. "they come as a set"/

When is TSP making them for C6's?? Thier website does not show any LT's for C6's, does that sound correct?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by enos44
um not according to Super Chevy March 2008, " The virtures of equal-length primaries make for great advertising propaganda and bench racing discussion, but they're ..... blah, blah, blah ... with equal-length primaries and non-equal-length primaries in a street application"
I give Super Chevy the same creditability as Motor Trend or Car and Driver... not much.

Keith
Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

I'd be really interested in dyno numbers for the "before", and "after". SOTP isn't a good measuring stick.
I will bet the SS headers are quite a bit louder in the cockpit.

Quick Reply: bought ssautochrome headers...