50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Stock or not stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock or not stock?

Which would you recommend? I'm looking at buying a C5Z. Should I buy a stock or not stock one? There are pro's and cons to both I guess. Mods cost a lot. But also don't have the joy of seeing/feeling your new found power...

Thoughts and comments encouraged!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sslateron
Which would you recommend? I'm looking at buying a C5Z. Should I buy a stock or not stock one? There are pro's and cons to both I guess. Mods cost a lot. But also don't have the joy of seeing/feeling your new found power...

Thoughts and comments encouraged!
just buy mine and save some money and look btr and be faster
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted not stock. The basic mods (bolt-ons) cost a ton of money and get very little in gains. Doing it again, I'd buy one with bolt-ons and then go FI!

99 FRC
Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FRC
I voted not stock. The basic mods (bolt-ons) cost a ton of money and get very little in gains. Doing it again, I'd buy one with bolt-ons and then go FI!

99 FRC
x2. If possible, buy a car with bolt ons as you're essentially getting them for free!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'd agree. Then do FI set up on top and you will have a real monster.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Depends on how modded. If the car is boosted, then its a little iffy..but if its full bolt-ons with an intake, sure..Go for it
Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

If you can get a low mileage 'not stock', I'd go that way. If the mileage is up there, the car may have been beat on.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Todd157k
If you can get a low mileage 'not stock', I'd go that way. If the mileage is up there, the car may have been beat on.
Thats another con about the car being modded... A person who mods may have flogged the car.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

By Stock. A Modded car was probably driven harder.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Depends, I would say yes to things like wheels, brakes, CAI, cat back exhaust, cosemetic stuff, no any internal engine or trans. It is pretty funny to see Z06s for sale adds with 500+ hp, built DTE trans and drag radials then the next line is "never raced or driven hard", yeah that's believable...
Old 06-07-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Ill Say Stock That Way U Can Mod It The Way U Want..
Old 06-07-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

I voted stock. There's no way to know how much or even if the car was abused and may have hidden mechanical time bombs. Of course, the same thing can be said for a stock car, but a modded car is almost certainly a sign that whoever owned it intended to race it. Now if you buy a show car that was modified, then that's a different story. Chances are it was built up to get trophies at car shows and not at the track.

My Trans Am is a good example. I had no idea it was a ticking time bomb of problems until it landed with the new owner.

My C6 is still stock down to the paper filter because of the Trans Am experience, altough I'll admit I am ready to start modifying the C6.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CySevans
I voted stock. There's no way to know how much or even if the car was abused and may have hidden mechanical time bombs. Of course, the same thing can be said for a stock car, but a modded car is almost certainly a sign that whoever owned it intended to race it. Now if you buy a show car that was modified, then that's a different story. Chances are it was built up to get trophies at car shows and not at the track.

My Trans Am is a good example. I had no idea it was a ticking time bomb of problems until it landed with the new owner.

My C6 is still stock down to the paper filter because of the Trans Am experience, altough I'll admit I am ready to start modifying the C6.
Very interesting, helpful side to the story.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

I voted stock. You can appreciate everything more. Not to mention, you will know exactly what is in your car. It will get built for what you want. Not someone else.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I recommend stock as the limit of problems is known and predictable. Too many unknowns in a modified car regardless of which performance modifications.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CySevans
I voted stock. There's no way to know how much or even if the car was abused and may have hidden mechanical time bombs. Of course, the same thing can be said for a stock car, but a modded car is almost certainly a sign that whoever owned it intended to race it.
I know guys who sprayed the **** out of cars (mostly F-Body guys) and then returned them to stock to sell. Any high performance car is a bit of gamble if you don't know the owner.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I know guys who sprayed the **** out of cars (mostly F-Body guys) and then returned them to stock to sell. Any high performance car is a bit of gamble if you don't know the owner.
But there would still be trace evidence in that example unless he replaced or professionally patched the holes where the lines ran and replaced anything in the interior where he mounted the switches.