Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Dilemma: Sell my vette or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
you said "obligated to make smaller monthly payments by doing a refi" (not exact quote, but get the point. Here's the problem brother, smaller payments with interest over more months. Its still bad. You will make the cost of the vehicle go up due to compounding interest.

Let me say this, I know a little about a lot of things. I know everything about saving, and making your money work for you. I turn 33 this month, I am hoping before my 39th bday that I am totally liquid (no debt of any kind) I also have to say that I came from a single parent home, welfare, free lunch and all the other disadvantages you could get. However what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I got an education, applied it, employed in Law Enforcement for over 10 yrs, and am on pace to make 100,000 or more for the 3rd year in a row. I max out my retirement, I do deferred comp, and I have an overspending fiance. She blows her money and tries to spend mine. Your wife is going to have to step up to the plate and help you more. Pay extra on everything. Stop smoking/drinking if you do. Cut out the fancy dining and eat your steak at home. If I could sit with you personally I would do for you free of charge (something I've done for many of my partners that live there lives based on overtime) a complete analysis of your situation. I would break it down and give you a way out that most likely would let you keep your Vette, but you would have to eliminate other things. Or vice versa, eliminate the vette and keep the other things. As far as pool, absolutely not. It only compounds the problem. It will be a new bill, it will raise your home owners insurance significantly. A pool is just another luxury. If I had details of take home pay, and monthly bills, and misc items we could break it down and give you a plan brother. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck
Your wife is going to have to step up to the plate and help you more"
I don't have a wife I'm paying for all this on my own.

"As far as pool" Where did that come from I didnt say I was getting a pool?

I dont drink or smoke

The only reason I would refinance the vette is to reduce the note. I would pay up on it when I will get extra money but only pay the actual note when I dont have the money handy.

I came from the same situation as you I went to public school, I have a degree in automotive technology and I have worked for the phone company for eight years. A few of those years I have made 6 figures too (yes the phone company pays us that kind of a salary). I should have used that money more wisely but I was young and wanted alot of things. I got into drag racing and we all know this is not a cheap hobby.

I have gotten out of jams before. I will get out of this one
Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry bro, I must've been reading someone elses post about the wife and pool. Again sorry, but everything else applies.

Two ways to fix financial problems
1. Spend less
OR
2. Earn more
My solution is do both whenever you can. Put the savings in a "rainy day fund."
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Your wife is going to have to step up to the plate and help you more"
I don't have a wife I'm paying for all this on my own.

"As far as pool" Where did that come from I didnt say I was getting a pool?

I dont drink or smoke

The only reason I would refinance the vette is to reduce the note. I would pay up on it when I will get extra money but only pay the actual note when I dont have the money handy.

I came from the same situation as you I went to public school, I have a degree in automotive technology and I have worked for the phone company for eight years. A few of those years I have made 6 figures too (yes the phone company pays us that kind of a salary). I should have used that money more wisely but I was young and wanted alot of things. I got into drag racing and we all know this is not a cheap hobby.

I have gotten out of jams before. I will get out of this one
I went back and read "CySevans" comments and responded to your issue. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you really love the vette, unload the truck unless it is necessary to earn your living. If you need a truck occassionaly to move stuff, rent one. If will be far cheaper than paying for the truck and insuring it. At a minimum, you can downsize the truck by buying an older model for less money.

If you have to pay for parking and have a 2.8 mile commute, start riding your bike to work if there is a safe route.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
If you really love the vette, unload the truck unless it is necessary to earn your living. If you need a truck occassionaly to move stuff, rent one. If will be far cheaper than paying for the truck and insuring it. At a minimum, you can downsize the truck by buying an older model for less money.

If you have to pay for parking and have a 2.8 mile commute, start riding your bike to work if there is a safe route.
If i sell the truck that still leave me with the vette note. If I sell the vette, I get the money out of it to pay off the truck that gives me no note . Can't ride the bike highway has no shoulders.

I might go ahead and sell it and buy some investment property that way the next time around I will get a z06. Hell, I might be able to ****** a zr1 if I play my cards right
Old 06-15-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
If i sell the truck that still leave me with the vette note. If I sell the vette, I get the money out of it to pay off the truck that gives me no note .
If eliminating the note (and insurance) on the truck doesn't solve your finances, then you do need to sell the vette.

Good luck on your decision.

You can make a lot of money on investment property, but it can mean a long holding period and not always be cash positive. Be prepared if you go that route.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
If eliminating the note (and insurance) on the truck doesn't solve your finances, then you do need to sell the vette.

Good luck on your decision.

You can make a lot of money on investment property, but it can mean a long holding period and not always be cash positive. Be prepared if you go that route.
Well I bought my truck for a purpose and that was to pull my race car around. That is the reason I bought a 2500 diesel and not a 1500. To answer what you stated above would help me alot to sell my truck. Then I would have to get another vehicle anyway. I do understand where you are coming from.

As far as the investment property I live down here close to New Orleans where there is still alot of abandoned property since hurricane Katrina. You can get ahold of some properties for very little and put it back together and only be 70000 into it and you can flip that property for 110-115 grand or if it is a double property you can rent it out and one side would cover the note and then some. I appreciate all the info and help.

Thanks all you guys for all the help

Quick Reply: Dilemma: Sell my vette or keep it?