Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New 383 LS1 built by MTI Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
Have you ever done an engine swap in a C5?? I just did mine a bit over a week ago with a friend of mine who has an awesome equipped shop and is great mechanic and I'm no slouch either. We had over 30 hours in the job and it was NOT easy! To do everything right and get everything back where it belongs and not have any issues with oil leaks and coolant leaks takes alot of time and knowledge before even attempting it! Reese *** is one of the best out there and is a stand-up guy! When your car leaves his shop it will be right!!!!! The 30 hours we had in my swap does not include tuning, which IMHO is just as important as getting all the mechanical aspects of the job right! Not wanting to **** in anyone's Cheerios here, but if you haven't done the work, you shouldn't question what a top-notch shop charges for their time and expertise!

Jimbo
Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
X 1,000 -Reese runs a great shop... I know these guys and have seen their work. Second to none!
I'm so far beyond that it's not even ******* funny.

Obviously you haven't read my avatar. I spin my own wrenches.

I have a one kind 2001 coupe that I striped down to the frame and ripped off everybody panel and converted from a coupe to a FRC.

It's now up at ACP getting a full custom wide body panels and paint job.

It use to be an automatic which I converted to a six-speed, so I guess I have some experience.

Heck it only took me about 6 hours to drop the entire drive train out of my brothers 99 FRC.

My Vette.

My Bro's

Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.427
1st. try to sell a used ls1 block for 1,500.00...I can get you one for 600 bucks today!
2nd. how much labor time do you think is involved in pulling out one motor and putting in another with break in and full tune?

DIY and you save a ton!
Ok so $3100 for a motor swap and tune? I'll step out of this one as I know how long it takes and I don't want to get nailed for sponsor bashing.

Please however point me in the direction where you can get an LS1 long block out of a running car for $600.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blu1
Ok so $3100 for a motor swap and tune? I'll step out of this one as I know how long it takes and I don't want to get nailed for sponsor bashing.

Please however point me in the direction where you can get an LS1 long block out of a running car for $600.
Talk to about any tuner shop or Pm me and I will turn you onto a used ls1 block Today!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=BlownVette 2001;9825034]I'm so far beyond that it's not even ******* funny.

I have a one kind 2001 coupe that I striped down to the frame and ripped off everybody panel and converted from a coupe to a FRC.

It use to be an automatic which I converted to a six-speed, so I guess I have some experience.

Heck it only took me about 6 hours to drop the entire drive train out of my brothers 99 FRC.

Looks to me like you would opt for the DIY option.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.427
Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
I'm so far beyond that it's not even ******* funny.

Looks to me like you would opt for the DIY option.
Yeah, that would be an option.

Quick Reply: New 383 LS1 built by MTI Racing