Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

streetable cam size for Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default streetable cam size for Z06???

Hey guys got a buddy with an 02 Z06 and he is wanting me to do a cam swap for him. He drives the car everyday and still wants it reliable, so my question is what size cam would you guys recommend for a DD but still puts out a good power band. I laid down well the 224/224 is a good smaller cam, a 232/234 is a nice mild size cam, and a MS3 would be a nasty cam for the street, he seems like he kind of wants a bigger one with a lot of lope so im leaning towards the ms3 or a trex or something of that sort, just thought i would ask you vette guys what you would recommend since i have never been a vette owner, but just want some opinions. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if the car is mostly stock, he'd get a lot more enjoyment from a reasonable sized cam. Buying a cam for sound is ricey.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hard to go wrong with a 224/224 112 in a daily driver. A 750 idle will lope.
If he wants a bit more, another reliable favorite is a 228/232 112. Plenty of lope with an 800 rpm idle and the manners will be ok in the parking lot with a decent tune.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

I would not go much past a Futral F14 or a LG G5x3. I personally used the F14 and it was fine for me. It made great torque sounded nasty and put down 423 rwhp 408 rwtq in my cam + bolt on 2001 Z06.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Find a used X1. I liked the **** outta the one in my NA 02 Z06.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

I guess I'll offer my $.03

Had two different cams in my Firehawk... and hated them both.... then went twin turbo and hated it too....

220/224 - 114LSa = I was wanting a stock type personality with some more "oats." It was alright for about 3 months.... then I wanted more...

236/236 -112LSA = Much more up top.... added a pulley along with the cam this time... even with a pro dyno tune (Vengeance racing) it would cam surge under 1,800 rpm - I needed to keep my mind on the cam when taking slow rolling turns in parking lots... it sounded great and pulled like a raped ape up top (redline was now up to 6,800 )

then.... with the same honkin' cam and little traction as it stood through the first (2/3) gears.... I added an Incon Twin Turbo kit.... Now I had ZERO traction up to 100 mph on the interstate.... a waste...

Sold the whole thing and got a stock '01 Zo6... and it's honestly a MUCH faster car when you take into account traction and pull up to deep triple digit speed...

I'd honestly leave this car alone (aside from bolt-ons) until I could add a Kenne Bell supercharger... at low boost and then when I want to totally hate my car upgrade the bottom end and add more boost..... and lose the traction I had with low boost. (the cycle repeats itself maybe?)

You'll get good traction with low boost and it will pull about as good as you'll possibly get without traction issues.... used forced induction kits are a dime a dozen these days as guys sell their set-ups to go bigger or move out of the car itself... used, but complete boosted set-ups don't cost much more than a good heads/cam kit.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
I guess I'll offer my $.03

Had two different cams in my Firehawk... and hated them both.... then went twin turbo and hated it too....

220/224 - 114LSa = I was wanting a stock type personality with some more "oats." It was alright for about 3 months.... then I wanted more...

236/236 -112LSA = Much more up top.... added a pulley along with the cam this time... even with a pro dyno tune (Vengeance racing) it would cam surge under 1,800 rpm - I needed to keep my mind on the cam when taking slow rolling turns in parking lots... it sounded great and pulled like a raped ape up top (redline was now up to 6,800 )

then.... with the same honkin' cam and little traction as it stood through the first (2/3) gears.... I added an Incon Twin Turbo kit.... Now I had ZERO traction up to 100 mph on the interstate.... a waste...

Sold the whole thing and got a stock '01 Zo6... and it's honestly a MUCH faster car when you take into account traction and pull up to deep triple digit speed...

I'd honestly leave this car alone (aside from bolt-ons) until I could add a Kenne Bell supercharger... at low boost and then when I want to totally hate my car upgrade the bottom end and add more boost..... and lose the traction I had with low boost. (the cycle repeats itself maybe?)

You'll get good traction with low boost and it will pull about as good as you'll possibly get without traction issues.... used forced induction kits are a dime a dozen these days as guys sell their set-ups to go bigger or move out of the car itself... used, but complete boosted set-ups don't cost much more than a good heads/cam kit.
I like the way you're thinking. I'm there now starting over with a good stock car and thinking low boost KB.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I say try one of LG's cams. The G5X1 is a proven solid performer. Good numbers when paired with a set of LG Pro Longtubes and a nice CAI. Very well mannered. Quite the sleeper until WOT if you keep those Stock muffs. You could add an aggressive catback if you feel like bluffing a lot of the competition. B&B bullets, or LG's BIG 3 would be nice.

My car putdown 490 rwhp 445 rwtq but honestly sounds like the big boys making much more. In the end its up to you. Sleeper, or Stalker ???

Quick Reply: streetable cam size for Z06???