Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Obx

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Obx

Any of you guys running a OBX exhaust on your c5s any leaks, cracks Etc. Did you notice any gain with it. I have a 2002 Zo6 beater I use for week end racing/auto-xing and I was looking at the OBXs. They are definitely cost effective.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you search this section for them?
There are 2 types of people:

1 - those who bought them and like them.

2 - those who have no experience with the headers but think they know everything and don't like them. Mostly because they are "that type of Corvette guy" who thinks if you don't pay a lot for it, it's no good.

That said, I had OBX headers on my GMC Sierra and loved them. When I eventually put headers on my C5, it will be the OBX headers.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the honest reply its much appriciated
Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just asked this a month or so ago, i hope to get them sometime through november, well see how that goes lol
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I hope too here your opinion. I am sure it will be a noticeable hp difference but I cant seem too get any feedback on the sound of it.

Dave
Old 10-05-2008, 02:32 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are better off buying a quality header, ARH, Kooks, LG etc..

You buy the OBX and you get a set that has terrible quality controll and doesnt fit, you cant return them. Your out $600 and now you have to buy a good peice, so $1400+the $600 OBX mistake.

Just buy once, buy quality.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Well one thing some people have too remember it that not all of use have piles of money too spend on every aspect of a project.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 PM
hashtagBMW

Thats understandable.

I personaly have been looking at getting a C5, and for the past 3 weeks have been researching this exact topic. The result is...I will be spending $1400 on some ARH longtubes. The OBX is a good price, but there quality control is terrible.

It all sounds good until you get the headers and you realize how much you wish you would have just bought the nicer ones at first.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Thats understandable.

I personaly have been looking at getting a C5, and for the past 3 weeks have been researching this exact topic. The result is...I will be spending $1400 on some ARH longtubes. The OBX is a good price, but there quality control is terrible.

It all sounds good until you get the headers and you realize how much you wish you would have just bought the nicer ones at first.
Care to show where you've found info that OBX has these quality control issues? I can't find anything showing that for OBX. My experience with my Sierra was great and the only fitment issue I had was the truck's fault not the headers.

I see people theorizing that some old company is now obx. But that doesn't matter since I see nobody having issues with the new OBX brand. Where'd you find this issue specific to OBX brand?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM
hashtagBMW

Go search OBX on corvetteforum, there are dozens of pages on the topic. People that have them and fit great and people that have them and they are ****.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

The only people on there with significant fitment issues are from the other company that is theorized to be obx! People who have obx headers like them. It's the idiots who pay too much and have no experience that are saying they don't fit. And they've never even installed a set.

Last edited by N4cer; 10-05-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

I agree. Anyway my car is not a street car its fully stripped so I dont care if it rubs in a spot here or there. Also if I do get them I will tape them off an use my smoke leak finder to weld up any imperfections. A little thought and time is worth the $600++ savings.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 PM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by N4cer
The only people on there with significant fitment issues are from the other company that is theorized to be obx! People who have obx headers like them. It's the idiots who pay too much and have no experience that are saying they don't fit. And they've never even installed a set.
Sure thing.

Originally Posted by mgbrv8
I agree. Anyway my car is not a street car its fully stripped so I dont care if it rubs in a spot here or there. Also if I do get them I will tape them off an use my smoke leak finder to weld up any imperfections. A little thought and time is worth the $600++ savings.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

2 - those who have no experience with the headers but think they know everything and don't like them.
I see you yourself fall within your grip. You do not own a set and you act like you know everything..... Just do a little research here and on the CorvetteForum and you will find way more bad stories than success stories.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

To answer your original question..
I purchased the obx headers knowing that there were issues in the past with the ssac headers. So i went into this knowing that there may be some bending heating /welding to be done.. I can say that my headers fit without issue.. I'm having my o2s relocated to provide better clearance and to install an extra bung for a wide band.. Is this required ? no I dont want to cut holes in my tunnel plate i have an after market coated one that is thicker, stock you can clearance with a hammer.. I went with these over tsp because i wanted stainless.. Are there better headers out there that make more power yes.
If your looking to get every ounce of hp you can then by all means get the 1 7/8 kooks or lgs a/r and so on.. For me i wanted an AFFORDABLE stainless street header that would give the most bang for the buck!!!
They are what they claim they are and I would buy them again hope this helps

This was from a post i made on the other forum
Also note the other post on the board that a mmember made 31hp/28tq increase with these
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you sir thats what I needed and wanted too hear. One question though hows the sound?

Thanks again
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1290
I see you yourself fall within your grip. You do not own a set and you act like you know everything..... Just do a little research here and on the CorvetteForum and you will find way more bad stories than success stories.
I have owned a set. Suck it.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 AM
hashtagBMW

I have owned a set. Suck it.
Nice job there bud, what are you 16? Grow up a bit.

And again, OBX has quality control issues. I hope you guys that are wanting them realize what that means..

FWIW, I found a set of LG Pro's for $800 shipped last week. Not some **** box ebay header. Just keep searching until you find something worth dropping some coin on.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Nice job there bud, what are you 16? Grow up a bit.

And again, OBX has quality control issues. I hope you guys that are wanting them realize what that means..

FWIW, I found a set of LG Pro's for $800 shipped last week. Not some **** box ebay header. Just keep searching until you find something worth dropping some coin on.
It was meant to be humorous, "BUD". It was every bit as mature as the erroneous assumption that he made, and it was a JOKE. Like any adult would say that in this situation and not be joking around. Geez.

What quality control issues are these? Once again help us out. You have no reason for saying they suck. The only people with problems were SSAC headers that are theorized and not proven to be OBX. All who have installed OBX headers had no more problems than LG headers.

I don't see why the "adults" here can't just tell the truth:
That they know of no factual problems with OBX headers that is anything significant nor worse than any other brand (other than ARH supposedly being amazing). The biggest proven factual problem is that the OBX headers only have a little 2.5" collector.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

This thread has deteriorated into into opinionated hearsay.......

Quick Reply: Obx