Finally got the car out as a stocker!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing stock about a "STOCK CAR" lmao....nice runs
Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, congrats on the first pass results, I know it has been a long time coming to this.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Can you run a rev kit in this class and loft the cam. Run zero lash on the lifters. We've done it in the past on these motors with a class restriction like your lift rule. 8,000 rpms sounds killer while still fitting the class rules.

I do not have a rev kit. I have gm lifters and stock rockers just the way it came from the factory, torqued to 20 ft lbs. This motor on that pass went throught traps at 7600 rpm with no problems.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tim, i am sure you, futral and others have thought about this, but why run stock lifters and rockers? i would think a set of morels, jesel shaft mounted rocker and a rev kit would help keep the power strong in the high rpm band?

ofcourse, none of that stuff is cheap! lol i do know that in S/E C/E etc guys spend TONS to get those last few thousandths of a second.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rockers have to be stock per the rules. The lifters I just chose to run a good gm lifter. Like I said 7600 rpm and no probs.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
The rockers have to be stock per the rules. The lifters I just chose to run a good gm lifter. Like I said 7600 rpm and no probs.
Its clear you arent doing anything crazy with your duration or the lobes or else you would be using these parts we are talking about. The "lofting" of the cam makes the lobes more of a solid roller type hence why i suggested running a rev kit and a zero lash on a hydraulic lifter. We turn our D1 blower 8200rpms with a .550 lift cam rule. If you want to be fast in that class and crack that record these are some of the "sneaky" things you do to be competitive there. We deal with a lot of class rules and its the engine builders knowledge and creativity thats really tested here. Definitely something to look into.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Its clear you arent doing anything crazy with your duration or the lobes or else you would be using these parts we are talking about. The "lofting" of the cam makes the lobes more of a solid roller type hence why i suggested running a rev kit and a zero lash on a hydraulic lifter. We turn our D1 blower 8200rpms with a .550 lift cam rule. If you want to be fast in that class and crack that record these are some of the "sneaky" things you do to be competitive there. We deal with a lot of class rules and its the engine builders knowledge and creativity thats really tested here. Definitely something to look into.
I would imagine with the cam design the lifter is being lofted off the nose of the cam. All that duration with no lift leaves the lobe looking like a plateau on the nose. It seems unlikely that the lifter would come across the opening ramp and not jump when it goes flat.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am very well aware of what can and can't be done its my first year and I'm just having some fun right now. I'm sure the car will get faster and faster. I can't give all my secrets away on a public message board lol. I was just stating this motor is not at all state of the art and its running very well for what it is.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
I would imagine with the cam design the lifter is being lofted off the nose of the cam. All that duration with no lift leaves the lobe looking like a plateau on the nose. It seems unlikely that the lifter would come across the opening ramp and not jump when it goes flat.
Hence the rev kit. Maybe you missed that. They are to keep the lifters on the cam....so when measured it meets the lift requirement. If you're not being creative with the parts, you're not working hard enough.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am very well aware of what can and can't be done its my first year and I'm just having some fun right now. I'm sure the car will get faster and faster.

Thanks for your reply.
Just wanted to offer some insight.

There's some pretty cool stuff being down with those trailblazer inline 6's like this is all. 8s from an inline6 NA is pretty wild. My buddy did the head on Charlie Stewarts ride in Super Comp and continually shatters the class record in that class. He's doing an all new cylinder head for this season that should put that record a little further out.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I apppreciate your reply. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
9 Second Club

Just wanted to offer some insight.

There's some pretty cool stuff being down with those trailblazer inline 6's like this is all. 8s from an inline6 NA is pretty wild. My buddy did the head on Charlie Stewarts ride in Super Comp and continually shatters the class record in that class. He's doing an all new cylinder head for this season that should put that record a little further out.
A full second under the index of the trailer for the first time out? I think his "secrets" are working.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9secbird
A full second under the index of the trailer for the first time out? I think his "secrets" are working.
Theres no secret to what his doing. I was just taking it a step further. Im very well aware of the cam profile he's running but there is room for improvement is all. No need for your smart *** replies on the subject. Its clear you have nothing to offer here.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Theres no secret to what his doing. I was just taking it a step further. Im very well aware of the cam profile he's running but there is room for improvement is all. No need for your smart *** replies on the subject. Its clear you have nothing to offer here.
Is that right, lol thats some funny ****

Im the smart *** huh???? Just keep posting your making my day
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too many egos in this post! its tim's car. if he wants to run secret stuff, its his choice.

shrug.

for some shakedown runs, simply awesome results! i guess he could have just bought an Al Corda combo and gone racing?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
too many egos in this post! its tim's car. if he wants to run secret stuff, its his choice.

shrug.

for some shakedown runs, simply awesome results! i guess he could have just bought an Al Corda combo and gone racing?
It is impressive for sure. No ones taking that way especially for passes off the trailer and shakedowns. it's gonna get better as well but I think he will run into a wall chasing the record for his class. I just offered insight on how to possibly pass that wall sooner than later.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

510 lift duration is a lol.
Lol, theres so many hardcore stock racers around here that are going to steal your cam!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

you never know lol,
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9secbird
Is that right, lol thats some funny ****

Im the smart *** huh???? Just keep posting your making my day
I guess he doesn't realize you're brothers.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

prolly not lol.

Quick Reply: Finally got the car out as a stocker!