WTH! All I did was change the rear-calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTH! All I did was change the rear-calipers...

Well, last night was the first race "night" that the Rain and the drive train merged into cooperation...

The only thing that we've changed since the last run, which saw us put down a personal best of 7.52 (1/8th) were the rear calipers...

So my friend and Son-in-Law Chris get signed in, slap on the Mickey's pull the lids off the dumps; set the tire pressure and we take her out for the first run... where she delivers a respectable run, but the first pass is always off the beam as the PCM gets used to the open exhaust and such...

We roll back into the pits, to let her cool down; temps at the track aren't horrible considering, but it's freakin' HOT...

We find that there are several F-bodies running, the upper end are running mid 8s... and then one 98-99ish TA stages up and sets a 7.60...

We're IN! That's our guy... gonna be a good night! Two F-bodies beatin' on each other running within a few hundredths... the towers gonna love it and this is going to be great.

So I crack open the Nano-system, close the lid and stage up to get this thing going... 'cause I know I'm gonna run a 7.5x-7..6x and the tower is gonna demand a grudge match and oh what fun...

Kids...

I stalled her up just slightly, just enough to preload and when the 3rd yellow crackled, I slammed the hammer... the Car EXPLODED out of the whole... the front end lept off the ground (Chris swears it was a foot which carred for 12-15 ft) and as I pass the score board... I couldn't believe my eyes... but I wanted to so bad that it wasn't that hard, to be honest...

Here's what the slip-gal handed me a minute later:

I dunno... All I did was change the rear calipers... and the launch technique differed slightly... But 2/10ths?

That launch was the best 60' of the night and possibly ever... but she trapped nearly 93 on several passes... I can't find the slip, but we had one 92.95.

It turns out that I have a slow leak on the driver-side slick and the passenger had ballooned to 23lbs, while the driver side remained at roughly 18... So I spent a number of passes, mismatched... with that side breaking loose... which set us into the 7.6xs... but when I equalized them, we ended up back in the 7.3xs for the last two passes; with the second to the last pass at a 7.39 and the last pass 7.37...

Last edited by OVA1; 07-11-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe you should just remove the rear calipers and see what kind of gain you get...J/K. With you running 2 tenths faster that is a big jump especially in the 1/8 but there are alot of variables weather,track prep, how you hook up (apparently very well) among others but either way congrats and nice running LT1 you got there
Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other calipers must have been clampin the brakes down
Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

LOL... Well they'd been problematic for months... they didn't seem to be binding that much, but they clearly weren't helpin'...

As I said, I think the bulk of the gain was finding the launch technique which works best with the new Yank...

Quick Reply: WTH! All I did was change the rear-calipers...