Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
any luck?
Couldn't find any vacuum leaks.

Originally Posted by Frost
That's a dead MAF or having reported an 85mm MAF and then running a stock MAF.

You need to be careful here. There are a lot of n00b tuners that would think that since it's reporting SOMETHING, they can hack the fuel in and you will be good. That will fix things for the moment, but the MAF will continue to report lower and lower though over time.

Your cal is the derivative of over 50 other LS6-f-body swaps and with a properly reporting MAF should put the car in the low 12.s:1 AFR. It's not a borderline tune at all.

To test this, if you have an external IAT (not using a 5-wire MAF) unplug the MAF and check what the AFR in SD is. It should come in nice and fat. If that's the case, you KNOW it's the MAF.
Interesting, and I am using a stock 5 wire MAF(3 to MAF, 2 to IAT).

I could just test MAF operation with EFILive correct? Thanks Frost.

Edit: Just unplugged MAF anyway and A/F averaged between 14.8-15.3 ..sometimes +/- a couple ..that was both with and without the MAF connected. Not 100% on what you mean by external IAT, I do have a 5 wire MAF but I think I've heard of the IAT being built into some MAFs, so by external do you mean where the IAT is separate and plugs into the lid? That's what I have.

Last edited by Tan327; 08-06-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean if you have a 5-wire MAF, you can't unplug it and use this as a test because you will be unwittingly unplugging the IAT also.

14.8-15.3 is normal for cruise. It's not normal if you mean you measured that during the WOT pull.

You can look in on the MAF with EFI Live. Unless you KNOW what frequency it should be reporting and where, you may want to look at trims at as indicator. If the car is carrying high/positive LTFTs, that would also be a sign of it reporting lower than expected.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A/F is now spot on, retuned only it ran the times in sig.

Frost, the MAF table was way off, the car has a descreened MAF and I have feeling you were not told this(previous owner ordered the tune from you). I know you have a great reputation and I do not want you to take this thread as a bash to your tuning, I appreciate the help in trying to get this figured out.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan327
A/F is now spot on, retuned only it ran the times in sig.

Frost, the MAF table was way off, the car has a descreened MAF and I have feeling you were not told this(previous owner ordered the tune from you). I know you have a great reputation and I do not want you to take this thread as a bash to your tuning, I appreciate the help in trying to get this figured out.
No I'm glad you got to the bottom of things.

In the past, I have had cars that were tuned for 85mm MAFs that either had the MAF replaced later with a 78mm unit or the 85mm unit had a resistor in it (SLP style) and both of those scenarios can make the car lean in addition to what was mentioned as well.

Best of luck and thanks for the update.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet she feels like a completely different beast.