I give up. ( Track vid and slips inside )

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by weedburner
Here's a simplified comparison that might help illustrate where i'm coming from-

Your no boost 6500 rpm launch likely drops to around 3500 by .7 seconds in, which lowers the average rpm to around 5000 or about 58.33 revolutions over .7 sec.

A 5500 rpm launch without any rpm drop at all will have a 5500 rpm average over those same .7 seconds, or about 64.16 revolutions...about a 10% gain in power production over the first .7 sec.

After that initial .7 sec, the 6500 rpm launch begins it's climb from 3500 because of the bog. Over the next .3 sec it will average around 3650 rpm, or 18.25 revolutions, for a total of around 76.58 revolutions of power production over the 1st second of the run. The 5500 rpm launch without any bog will average 5500 rpm over the same time period, or about 91.66 revolutions of power production. With roughly 20% more revolutions of power production during the first second of the run, the 5500 rpm no boost launch with controlled clutch slip is going to spool the turbo much quicker than the typical 6500 rpm no boost launch.

If you simply took clutch out of the car until you could launch no-boost without losing rpm, there's no way that clutch would be able to hold when the car starts making power. Temporarily holding back some clutch clamp pressure makes it possible to slip more initially to raise average rpm, but also have enough clamp in reserve to hold the power down the track.
And here's where I'm coming from, with a 2 step I can launch at less rpm with more power than you could ever hope to generate launching at any rpm regardless of whether rpms drop or not at whatever rpm you want. Slipping the clutch also wears out the clutch matrial sooner.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
What were you launching at and how were you doing the clutch? I only went that one time that I got a 10.80 out of mine but it didn't feel like it would 60 ft much better than what I was getting, maybe could have dropped into the 1.70s with a tad more rpm but that was around a 5k slip/dump.
A 4000RPM launch equated to a 1.7, a 4500 launch came down to 1.6 and a 5k launch gave me a 1.5. With the TH400 I had a best of 1.4 and averaged low 1.5 leaving in boost so not terribly different short game just way more fun to drive now!

I do have a fairly small turbo, T4 78mm so it spools up pretty fast once I start moving. I think the OP has the same turbo or did at one point?
Old 11-01-2016, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah he's running a 7875 On3 turbo I believe. I'm runnung a Borg Warner S480 so mine doesn't spill as soon.

Was that a clutch dump out ride out and then dump?
Old 11-01-2016, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah he's running a 7875 On3 turbo I believe. I'm runnung a Borg Warner S480 so mine doesn't spill as soon.

Was that a clutch dump out ride out and then dump?
Slipping clutch for sure, no dumping.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
And here's where I'm coming from, with a 2 step I can launch at less rpm with more power than you could ever hope to generate launching at any rpm regardless of whether rpms drop or not at whatever rpm you want. Slipping the clutch also wears out the clutch matrial sooner.
...when you combine the two you make even more power in a tighter time frame.

I think you may overlooking the effect of rpm drop on the launch. Any time you have a WOT drop in rpm, that's an indicator that you released inertia energy from the rotating assembly into the drivetrain. This is the energy that a grabby clutch pulls out of your 100lb or so rotating assembly to hit the drivetrain with. But it's a give/take/take thing though...it borrows energy to hit the drivetrain/tires artificially hard, so you then must over-build the drivetrain to accommodate that surge, which slows you down overall. Then as your car recovers lost rpm, it takes again as you gain speed at a slower rate until that borrowed energy is paid back in full.

If you want to stick radials with a manual, rpm drop is your enemy. When your launch does not include rpm drop, the hit is much less violent. A less violent hit requires less shock control, which in turn makes the car less likely to kick the tires loose when you encounter bumps down the track.

Added wear to the clutch is less than you would think. My personal street/strip car isn't turbo, but currently has a 2800lb diaphragm with a 10.4" solid hub full face 5135 iron disc. It NEEDS that much clamp to hold 800ft/lbs for those times when the little 355 gets both kits turned on. But as you can imagine, that much clamp on an iron disc is going to hit pretty hard. Now imagine me trying to launch naturally aspirated or maybe just one kit with that much clamp on an iron disc...not pretty without the ability to dial out some clutch. When i was at 700whp I used a 900 series segmented iron disc and that lasted 2-3 years with about .5 to .7 seconds of WOT slip. But here's the thing- the car gets faster the longer i let the clutch slip. For me personally, dialing in 1 second of slip is a good compromise that puts me in the comfortable position of a clutch disc lasting a full season without needing maintenance. I'm mostly a no-prep guy, so smooth power delivery and being able to add power as i work my way thru the gears is big to me. Can’t do that with a typical adjustable set for a good launch, as bringing on more power down the track just blows thru the clutch.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Now that's a different story. You gave the impression from previous posts that your clutch slipper is better than a 2 step regardless of whether it's boosted or not.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now that's a different story. You gave the impression from previous posts that your clutch slipper is better than a 2 step regardless of whether it's boosted or not.
I feel that if the budget is tight, the op will get farther adding clutch slip before 2 step, as clutch slip can net the him a better 60' while reducing the need for an upgraded rear. He can combine clutch slip with a 2 step later when he gets a rear that can handle it, but adding 2 step on a Stage 5 without adding some slip will kill his 10 bolt.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

I feel that if the budget is tight, the op will get farther adding clutch slip before 2 step, as clutch slip can net the him a better 60' while reducing the need for an upgraded rear. He can combine clutch slip with a 2 step later when he gets a rear that can handle it, but adding 2 step on a Stage 5 without adding some slip will kill his 10 bolt.
boy I'd love to see that comparison.....slipper clutch setup with no 2 step vs. 2 step not clutch slipper. But it needs to be apples to apples so nothing can break to make it fair. OP is going to do a rearend anyways so it might be possible then.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Before sticking a boring TH400 in it I think you should put a rear worthy of some abuse and send it on proper tire. It will make all the difference if you drive it correctly!

Driving it correctly is key as it seems some in this thread cant get a car off the line to save their lives. My first trip to the track after my trans swap (from a TH400 to TR-6060) I ran 1.5-1.6 60' in a turbo car that weighs in over 4k lbs and I don't have a two step. I didn't need to launch at 6500RPM either but I did have to lower my tire pressure and it went 10's on wastegate with a chinese turbo with a kids seat in the back. I have a 3.45 rear with a 295 Hoosier DR.

While I am looking to hookup a 2 step and improve my 60' I wouldn't say its critical to making a manual car 60' decently. I would put a proper tire on it and learn how to drive it first, then improve by adding boost off the line.
What did your car run like with the 400? Full quarter I mean.

What were you launching at and how were you doing the clutch? I only went that one time that I got a 10.80 out of mine but it didn't feel like it would 60 ft much better than what I was getting, maybe could have dropped into the 1.70s with a tad more rpm but that was around a 5k slip/dump.
Was leaving around 2300-2500....no slip, straight dump. Car had no *** for about a 100ft out. Could half way get away with it with the 342s....not so much with the 2:73s.

That kind of thing happens when you have a Stage 5 clutch hitting all at once. When the hit of the clutch is right, the car will be both faster/quicker and more durable.

Last edited by Game ova; 11-01-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

boy I'd love to see that comparison.....slipper clutch setup with no 2 step vs. 2 step not clutch slipper. But it needs to be apples to apples so nothing can break to make it fair. OP is going to do a rearend anyways so it might be possible then.
I agree, that would be cool to do a comparo on.

I think you may overlooking the effect of rpm drop on the launch. Any time you have a WOT drop in rpm, that's an indicator that you released inertia energy from the rotating assembly into the drivetrain. This is the energy that a grabby clutch pulls out of your 100lb or so rotating assembly to hit the drivetrain with. But it's a give/take/take thing though...it borrows energy to hit the drivetrain/tires artificially hard, so you then must over-build the drivetrain to accommodate that surge, which slows you down overall. Then as your car recovers lost rpm, it takes again as you gain speed at a slower rate until that borrowed energy is paid back in full.

If you want to stick radials with a manual, rpm drop is your enemy. When your launch does not include rpm drop, the hit is much less violent. A less violent hit requires less shock control, which in turn makes the car less likely to kick the tires loose when you encounter bumps down the track.

Added wear to the clutch is less than you would think. My personal street/strip car isn't turbo, but currently has a 2800lb diaphragm with a 10.4" solid hub full face 5135 iron disc. It NEEDS that much clamp to hold 800ft/lbs for those times when the little 355 gets both kits turned on. But as you can imagine, that much clamp on an iron disc is going to hit pretty hard. Now imagine me trying to launch naturally aspirated or maybe just one kit with that much clamp on an iron disc...not pretty without the ability to dial out some clutch. When i was at 700whp I used a 900 series segmented iron disc and that lasted 2-3 years with about .5 to .7 seconds of WOT slip. But here's the thing- the car gets faster the longer i let the clutch slip. For me personally, dialing in 1 second of slip is a good compromise that puts me in the comfortable position of a clutch disc lasting a full season without needing maintenance. I'm mostly a no-prep guy, so smooth power delivery and being able to add power as i work my way thru the gears is big to me. Can’t do that with a typical adjustable set for a good launch, as bringing on more power down the track just blows thru the clutch.
You've definitely made a good case with the slipper device data. But being that this clutch cost close to $1,000 I try to keep slip to a minimum. In an attempt to break into the sub 2.0 60' realm I did try and ride the clutch once....and the thing STILL went a 2.1x.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Game ova
I agree, that would be cool to do a comparo on.

You've definitely made a good case with the slipper device data. But being that this clutch cost close to $1,000 I try to keep slip to a minimum. In an attempt to break into the sub 2.0 60' realm I did try and ride the clutch once....and the thing STILL went a 2.1x.
You don't need a ton of slip to see improvements, and just a little slip at the right time will go a long way in extending the potential of your 10 bolt. From there you can gradually add slip until you are comfortable with the compromise between slipping and timeslip.

If you could get some rpm data it would be easier to pinpoint exactly where you are going wrong with your current slipping efforts. You don't need a racepak, just anything that can generate an rpm graph would be well worth the effort. Something as simple as a Gtech can get the job done, might be some phone apps out there as well.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
8 Second Club

What did your car run like with the 400? Full quarter I mean.

Was leaving around 2300-2500....no slip, straight dump. Car had no *** for about a 100ft out. Could half way get away with it with the 342s....not so much with the 2:73s.

My car ran great with the TH400 it was just boring, mash the gas and it would run 9's without even trying. But the car would literally sit for weeks between startups because I had no desire to drive it with the auto, came down to either manual swap or get rid of it. Now with the manual I find reasons to go hoon it all the time and always come back with a **** eating grin. I wouldn't go back to auto for anything other then a purpose built drag car.

2500 is way too low to launch and you need a little slip when not using a 2 step to get load on the engine so turbo spins up.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
My car ran great with the TH400 it was just boring, mash the gas and it would run 9's without even trying. But the car would literally sit for weeks between startups because I had no desire to drive it with the auto, came down to either manual swap or get rid of it. Now with the manual I find reasons to go hoon it all the time and always come back with a **** eating grin. I wouldn't go back to auto for anything other then a purpose built drag car.

2500 is way too low to launch and you need a little slip when not using a 2 step to get load on the engine so turbo spins up.
I should have been more specific. What E.T and trap would it run with the 400.....as opposed to the 6 speed?
Old 11-02-2016, 03:43 PM
8 Second Club

I should have been more specific. What E.T and trap would it run with the 400.....as opposed to the 6 speed?
I have no direct comparison as I never ran the same turbo on each setup, I didn't run such low boost with the auto, and I also left on boost with the auto and haven't with the manual yet. But even still with the auto on 21-22lbs leaving on 5-7lbs with the PT7675, and the manual on 15lbs leaving off 0 boost with the 7875, it was about a .1 difference in 60' and .6 second difference through the 1/4.

I expect once I turn the boost up and hook the 2 step up the manual will come together to narrow the gap.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the idea of running a Th400 and laying down the law at the track, but I really need to decide if I want a fast track car....or a fun street car. And talking about the track brings up 2 issues, I would only be able to make 1..maybe two passes out the back door because I don't have a cage....and won't be installing one either (No safety speech needed). And the other issue, I have yet to see a 4th gen with a Th400 swap make the shifter look like it "belongs"....true it's cosmetic and isn't really serious...but still. Speaking of cage, the guy that I mentioned earlier that swapped to the Th400 from the t56 and now runs 9.40 @150 just ran into this very issue. After his last pass (first run out the back).....they told him to come to the tower. His days are now numbered track wise......
Have both anti up fro RPM stage 6 4l60e with a 3k stall. Car will be fun on street and track. I hated T56s. I broke so many and tried so many years. With the amount of money I spent I could have thrown a nice auto in and had fun all around. 6 speeds can be fun

Quick Reply: I give up. ( Track vid and slips inside )