Why am I so ssslooowww

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Fah Cue
Pulled the heads today. The springs showed no signs of damage from coil bind. The valves and piston tops also were not damaged. The cylinder walls had no gouges or scoring and I didn't see any top ring lands broken.
Going to cut the oil filter apart this weekend.
Any updates? Read through the whole thread, curious if you found any other issues, I commented on one of your videos last month and just found this thread today. Got a similar issue with my 02 formula, cam and converter car (see sig) and just doesn't trap well or 60' for ****..we literally have nearly identical time slips. Had mine at the track in october with negative DA (40 degree night) and ran two back to back 12.27 passes at 110.75 mph with a best 60' of 1.78. My trans is probably getting tired being it's the stock original 60e with 74k miles on it with only line pressure adjustments and reduced torque management. The 2-3 shift seems really lazy at WOT and im pretty sure the tuner had the shifts set to around 6200. I wanted to pull the trans sometime this spring and get a built FLT trans for it with a higher stall converter and have it retuned with higher shift points, maybe get some lighter wheels and take it back to the track to see what it does.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I guess I do have an update. It's been a while. I got in a bad wreck,, almost died, lost my job and my girlfriend doesnt have a back bone.
Another day huh.
I got the engine torn down. I have 15 bent pushrods. The valves and springs were fine.
The timing chain had alot of slack in it, or maybe it's supposed to be that loose.
The cam bearings are worn out, the cam journals are fine.
The rod and main bearings look great. My builder said, they could be reused in a quick pinch get it back together rebuild. The crank is also fine with a Polish. The rods and pistons were also in really good condition. Nothing broken on the pistons.

So aside from slightly bent pushrods.. Like less then a mm of wobble when spun in a drill, the bad ground on the coil pack harness and the bad bearing in the trans, the engine had no internal issues.

https://youtu.be/LdqnGsWA42o

Last edited by Fah Cue; 01-25-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 358 Likes on 249 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Looks normal to me
The following users liked this post:
Denom (02-01-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Looks normal to me
Well that's good. I thought it looked a little sloppy.
The cam was timed right as well. Dot to dot.
And the cam is in fact an ms4.

Also scored a split cooled 4l80 for 200 bucks.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Fah Cue
Yes I guess I do have an update. It's been a while. I got in a bad wreck,, almost died, lost my job and my girlfriend doesnt have a back bone.
Another day huh.
I got the engine torn down. I have 15 bent pushrods. The valves and springs were fine.
The timing chain had alot of slack in it, or maybe it's supposed to be that loose.
The cam bearings are worn out, the cam journals are fine.
The rod and main bearings look great. My builder said, they could be reused in a quick pinch get it back together rebuild. The crank is also fine with a Polish. The rods and pistons were also in really good condition. Nothing broken on the pistons.

So aside from slightly bent pushrods.. Like less then a mm of wobble when spun in a drill, the bad ground on the coil pack harness and the bad bearing in the trans, the engine had no internal issues.

god damn, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear, at least you recovered though.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BFK86
god damn, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear, at least you recovered though.
Yes, been a rough month that's for sure.
I'm recovering, slowly. Still get dizzy when I move fast. But putting this engine together is making me happy.

Quick Reply: Why am I so ssslooowww