1/8 mile time

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1/8 mile time

I was out at the track last night in North Carolina last night w/ my new setup on my car and I put down a night's best of 9.01 / 85 mph. I did a search on conversions from quarter-to-1/8 mile times and it seemed to be roughly 13.86 which is what I ran in the quarter before I went and blew 5grand on this turbo setup. I launched at 1500 rpm. Are these times normal for an FI car because it has to spool up first? I'm definitely confused. Anyone wishing to help that needs any more information can just ask.

Thanks. I'd hate to feel like I wasted all my money to get the same effect. Eh, can't wait to get all the bugs worked out so I can sell it.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Teching In

What was your 60' time..I ran my bone stock T/A and got a 9.01...also i would think you would be running faster than 85mph. My friend has a 99 z with just true duals and he ran 84 in the 1/8th.

Edit: What track in NC did you run at?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:57 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Is the hp/ tq #s with the STS on it? If so you need to get it tuned, it should be at 400+ hp with your mods. You should be quicker but you will need a tq converter (3600-3800 stall) to be able to spool up that turbo or you will have a slow 60' and therefore a slow 1/8 or 1/4 time.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

My 60' time was something in the vicinity of 2.4-2.7. The tuning on that car has pretty much been a nightmare for me. I took the car to get tuned and the first pull it did 407 hp. The next pull after they tuned up the car put out the 354. They said the lower number was due to heat loss. I call bullshit on that because there's no way it got hot enough in two pulls 25 minutes apart to lose 50 Hp. So I feel like I pretty much got ripped off and now I've got to spend another few hundred dollars taking it somewhere else to have them check it out.

I went to the track out in Elizabeth City. I can't remember the name of it but it was an 1/8th mile track.

Hmm... I'll definitely consider a torque converter. Hopefully that will make a difference.
What I'm wondering is that my buddy's Lightning puts down 433 hp and 450+ tq and when I ran him that night I was neck and neck w/ him w/ him pulling an 8.77 on our run. I wouldn't expect a 354 hp car to stick w/ his lightning. Something's fishy to me.

Thanks guys. You're bein' a help. (help = making me hate the place where I got my car "tuned")
Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

you should definitely be putting down more and be much faster, whats the elevation at that track? 2.4-2.7 is terrible 60' maybe some good tires will help ya out, if a 450hp Lightning is running 8.77 it must be the track also, i ran a 8.58 in the 1/8 for comparison, but a tune and tires will make your car haul, a stall will let you spool at the line instead down the track, good luck
Old 06-02-2005, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Reply... thanks for the advice. I can't believe my tune. I've had such a horrible time w/ those people afterwards I'll never go back to them.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

sup reo...talked to ya at VIR today (black ws6 w/ 30day tags).didnt get to see what ya ran. i went a 13.6 @106 w/ a bad clutch.2.3 60ft and 8.96 in 1/8.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Old Drag Racer

I went to the track out in Elizabeth City. I can't remember the name of it but it was an 1/8th mile track.

Man, I'm sorry I missed you. That's my local track. It's called Northeast Dragway BTW because it's in the northeast part of NC. I'm a little surprised at your times as I've run my SS there twice that has 308 to the tires. The first time out my best was an 8.30 @ 83.9 and the second time it was 8.29 @ 83.9. My MPH sucks because my tranny at the time would not make the 2-3 shift so I just rode the rev limiter the last 100' or so. My car is a 2000 SS A4 that had a PY3400 converter during those runs and ran on regular street radials. Usually they prep the track decent so I'm surprised at your 60' times. Mine was a 1.86 on the 8.3 run and a 1.82 on the 8.29 run. What day did you go on? Friday night test and tune or Saturday's bracket race? They don't prep the track nearly as well on Friday nights.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Hey, svt, For a stock ws6 and a bad clutch I'd say those are pretty good times. Was that consistent runs or your overall best?

Well last night my best was 14.0 @ 109-110, My buddies definitely agreed w/ me that my 1st gear has absolutely no pull behind it. One of them does 12's at 109. It feels like the engine's not doing **** until I pull into second and the change is drastic. We're not quite sure what could be causing me to bog down so much in first. It probably has a lot to do w/ the fact that I don't have a converter. Something seems fishy about this and I'd like to start blaming Dynotune Performance. Grr!!

However, on a plus side, we all agree I should have done the bracket racing because I did 5 or 6 runs w/ identical results. :-)
Old 06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

yep, i was there with him. we went over powerbraking and stuff. and when he's at the line, you can see the car torque up, and when the light goes, he take off pretty quick, but then its like the car gets stuck in the mud all through first. but when 2nd hit, you can see the car jerk, and hes off and the turbo is screaming. a stall will definately help out, but i think its definately in the tuning. we all agreed he should be over 400 with the STS. ****, he has the same #'s i had when i dyno'd mine on a stock tune with the stock slipping clutch (which i still have).

justin, on another note. when we get back from Boston, were planning on going back out to the track. its the 18th i think. and ive fixed my backfiring issues, but now im just running rich as hell. but im still going to take her down the track you should def come out, as alot of us should be going.

chris
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

I called up Billy at Texas Rear Turbo, and he said it's probably an issue with the timing that I got from the tune. That sounds very legitimate. I just hate the fact that I'd have to take it back to Dynotuned Performance in Chesapeake, Va. They messed up another person's GTO STS setup. I'm thinking about heading back there just to give it another shot and see if they aren't so AHHH! this time.

Chris, if my car isn't sold by then I could go for another run probably. We'll see what happens. I'll keep ya updated. See ya on the street.

Quick Reply: 1/8 mile time