Something to ponder regarding records!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

We should just call them Internet Records and Internet Milestones. We already know we have the fastest/quickest GM Gen III racers on the net already on this site, not the other internet sites

It was much easier to claim "national records" back in 98-00, since there were only a handful of shops working on these cars, and only a handful of parts available. We were setting these "records" at the quickest tracks in the country, and there were only a handful of LS1s racing back then. Those were fun times
Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrymySS
So your saying that because runs aren't made at a sanctioned event, that they can not be called records, only personal bests? And that anything anyone posts on the internet is in void because not everyone has access to the internet? So how is it that you hold any kind of F-body record, since the tech series just started, how is it that anything you've done in someone elses car a record? Your also saying because everyone on this site, because they haven't built their car for the series (because everyone has time to just go to the event) that everything their car has accomplish doesnt count?? Why is it that you THINK you make the rules? Is it because you race NMRA and your name is all over the internet?? Maybe its because you have been doing this from the 1990's?? These are only your suggestions, and as duely noted as they are, you can't take away from peoples best, regardless if there is someone else out there. It's called rasing the bar and everyone out there, always wants something to shoot for. Cause if we go by your theory, then you MIGHT not have been the first LT1 in the 8's maybe because people don't have access to the internet that someone else out there could have done it, you just posted it first.

THEE Bob Kurgan everyone RACING
you are putting words in my mouth.... but if you hold a record, doesnt it need to be a record of something? What are all these records of? If they are a LS1TECH.com records, i guess they are records. Please post the rules so others can attempt to break these records. We dont claim to have a record with Sikora's car, we were just the first to claim we were the first LT1 blower car into the 8s. If you have proof of anything different, let me know.

As far as the greeks are concerned, they are the FIRST LS1 based N/A motor into the 8s. Ive said it before and ill say it again, NO ONE can take that away from them.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
We should just call them Internet Records and Internet Milestones. We already know we have the fastest/quickest GM Gen III racers on the net already on this site, not the other internet sites

It was much easier to claim "national records" back in 98-00, since there were only a handful of shops working on these cars, and only a handful of parts available. We were setting these "records" at the quickest tracks in the country, and there were only a handful of LS1s racing back then. Those were fun times

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

i adjusted my signature based on your theory..
Old 10-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

FYI, this thread wasnt to **** anyone off or to pat myself of any other racers on the back... it was to try and created some sort of parity for the LS1 community. If people are going to claim records, they need to tell us what kind of record they are claiming. We need to host's these records somewhere with some sort of rules so that others can attempt to beat these records. Thats all im trying to say..
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

in the past, we required a timeslip, and a video or at least two witnesses if they didn't have a vid. Most of the time, everyone had vids since they were out to break the records anyways.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

aint that the truth!.. those were fun times. I remember when there were supposed to be alot 10 sec. NA cars and GMHTP had a 10 sec. or better shootout at Enis...Guess what, out of all the cars that showed up there was on 0ne NA 346 ls1 that even made it into the 10's!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember in the mid ninety we race NMCA Pro Street and every trailer had
"worlds fastest 1969 camaro or what every "on the side
it .Everybody likes to pat themself on the back
hears a little food for thought Words of Wisdom by George Klass...
GEORGE'S DOZEN TRUTHS

There are certain truths pertaining to sportsman drag racing. Whether you are a spectator or a participant, it is important to recognize and understand the following dozen truths:

#1 Regardless of the rules for a given class, there will always be one or two individuals that will dominate that class.

#2 Regardless of the minimum weights allowed for a given power adder combination for a given class, there will always be someone that is 150 pounds over his minimum weight, who complains about the minimum weight for a competitor with a different power adder combination.

#3 Regardless of how competitive a participant is in a given class, he will rarely protest the legality of another competitor, until right after the other competitor puts him on the trailer.

#4 Regardless of how big the purse is for a given class, it's never going to be enough for those that get beat in the first round.

#5 Regardless of how much money a participant spends to build a winning combination, someone else can (and will) spend more.

#6 Regardless of how poorly a race car "hooks" at a given track, it's always the track's fault.

#7 Regardless of the rules for a given class, there will always be those that think that the rules should be changed to accommodate them, when their car doesn't meet the existing rules for that class.

#8 Regardless of the specific rules for a given class, those that want to race will find a way to participate, and those that would rather complain about something (usually on internet message boards), will find an excuse to not participate.

#9 Regardless of the fact that drag racing is "sudden death" (you lose, you're out), someone will have a "reason" as to why they should be reinstated after getting beat.

#10 Regardless of how well the race schedule is disseminated to the participants via printed flyers or through the internet, there will always be some racers that say "I didn't see it" and wind up missing the first round of qualifying.

#11 Regardless of how attractive your wife or girlfriend is, there will always be a better looking girl at the race track, and you will most likely get a slap in the face for looking. *

#12 Regardless of how much money you have spent on your car, or how much you spend going to drag racing events, or how much time and effort it has taken to get your car running as well as you have, or how much you have had to "do without" to stay involved with drag racing, there is NOTHING quite as rewarding as spending a day or two at the drag races with your friends, competitors and the spectators that admire and support you.

* This is assuming that you were foolish enough to bring your wife or girlfriend to the race.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Everybody here has their own record if you really think about it. It is getting rediculous.

I have the fastest 2000 F-body car bought winter of 1999 from community chevrolet with......

stock bottom 346, M6, with a cam only, on nitrous, stock style suspension, good year tires, between 1000 and 5000 pounds, stock monsoon radio (only 4 speakers), no jack or spare, back seats removed, centerline rims (less one lug nut), on the west coast, specifically los angeles county, and even more specific the city of burbank, on the street that I live......

Let everyone toot their own horn.

TOOT TOOT
Old 10-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
Everybody here has their own record if you really think about it. It is getting rediculous.

I have the fastest 2000 F-body car bought winter of 1999 from community chevrolet with......

stock bottom 346, M6, with a cam only, on nitrous, stock style suspension, good year tires, between 1000 and 5000 pounds, stock monsoon radio (only 4 speakers), no jack or spare, back seats removed, centerline rims (less one lug nut), on the west coast, specifically los angeles county, and even more specific the city of burbank, on the street that I live......

Let everyone toot their own horn.

TOOT TOOT
You know, that was just stupid. Every record claim thusfar, has been legitimate.
This is what Bob is trying to say.

What are these records everyone claims OF? He's not saying you don't hold a record, because you obviously do. However, there may be someone in, oh I don't know, Alabama, who doesn't even have a computer, going faster than anyone on here. However, he doesn't have a computer, nor care to go to an event, simply does it just to do it. Understand?

So, yes, everyone holds a record, A record of fastest of that time on LS1tech, since the only people that read this, are people on LS1tech. If you want to declare something else, or get nationwide recognition, then, you need to go to a nationally recognized event, and run those same times. That way, you have all the records.

Good day.

Ps. Not knocking any of you..what you guys do is great. Anyone would be proud of those times, records or not.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, congrats to al the recent "records", "milestones", or whatever you want to call them. I call the records personally, but thats just me.

A couple of issues as I see it:

The internet is a funny place. There are guys who don't get on the internet who race. Who have no idea what we do here, and probably could care less. They go fast too. I'll give you a prime example. I held the "record" (yes, thats the word I'm going to use) for best ET in a stock Z06 11.783. So guy out of nowhere popped up and had run a 11.781. He didn't realy care about the internet, and since then I haven't really seen him post. Point being everyone who races isn't here. It is a good place to meet up though, but not everyone is here. I'm not saying the current records aren't legit, but I think we all should be objective about what things really are and aren't.

The internet is also a problem when we look strictly at ET. When you get super negative DA at a place like HRP or Atco we all know its a benefit of being in those environments. Its free HP. I know that we've butted heads with Cartek over who was the fastest Z06. It played out on this forum and others like Corvetteforum. When you get a -3500 DA everything is going to be fast. How can you compare that to a +2500 DA time. One suggestion was to make folks correct times to 0 DA. But of course that is fraught with same issues (how can you prove wha the weather station is really reading at the time.

The only way to really settle it is to show up at the same place on the same day with some agreed upon rules. Kansas is about the most central place in the U.S. (where the first NHRA national was held in fact). TWo years ago this played out in South Carolina. Between LGM and Cartek every other thread seemed to be getting locked on multiple sites. So, the only way to settle it was for us to all show up at the same track, on the same day and see what happened. There is still some debate about the results that day (not in my mind though). Point being is that it settled the question in a lot of folks minds.

Having been to Memphis since some of the first NMCA races, its a good place to draw all the folks in from across the U.S. Yes, its a pull for me (say 12 hrs or so), but its 26 hrs from my house to Atco. Its 24 hrs though from Central California to say Bowling Green (I know this from the guys who come to the big Vette deal in BG from CA). So I guess what I'm saying, is no place is exactly ideal hence the reason for the regional races. Problem being is that attendance is dropping (and will continue to drop) the longer that the F-Body is out of production. Maybe the best idea is to focus on a few key events. I dunno I have other ideas on that too.

I credit the Buick guys. They've always had one big meet at Bowling Green, and its always well attended (I've been to several).

I know PSJ and Tony have worked hard on the rules. I know they've solicited response from folks and tried to make the rules work for everyone. Is that the problem, are the rules too open and do they try to please everyone so no one is really happy? I'm not complaining, I'm simply asking.

Should we make it an EFI shootout which would allow Mustangs, Vipers, and Buicks to compete.

I know I've diverged off the point of "records" a bit, so please bear with me. I think the whole interenet racing, the series, the "records", etc... all is part of an overall issue that we should try to get a handle on. I agree that we won't make everyone happy. There is someone who will always be upset no matter what. But I guess what would the majority agree on.

Finally, is there a place to capture all of this. Since many of the "records" seem to get lost after the thread are forgotten (or the "other" site crashes)
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing disagree with J rod is attendance in up from each race this year and now their a rules that are pretty close if everybody got together and started speading the world now we can have 4 better races next year .
Old 10-27-2005, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StrictlyModified
You know, that was just stupid. Every record claim thusfar, has been legitimate.
I understand what Bob is trying to say. I think everyone does.

My JOKE of a record claim isn't any less legitimate than anyone else's in the LS1tech relm. As stupid as it may sound, the difference is, I CAN PROVE IT.

Anyone who claims to have "World's Fastest cam only LS1" or "First All motor LS1 in the 8's" should add "on LS1tech" behind that statement to make it legitimate. Its a big damn world for someone to make such a claim based on what 40,000 users know.

Nine Ball made a very good point when he said, "We should just call them Internet Records and Internet Milestones." That is a good start, but remember its a big damn internet too. "We should just call them LS1tech Internet Records and Internet Milestones."
Old 10-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

now this thread is starting to get somewhere... thanks to all for CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DERTY
I took a look back a little over a year ago and decided where I wanted to go with racing. In all honesty, the stuff up here just doesn't provide much for a stock suspension class that runs fast with turbos. Milan Dragway came up with the simplest format for racing that we've come across and it has been outrageously successful. The rules are simple and they draw crowds. It's everything you'd ever want to see in a race. Here's the rules for this year. They likely won't change much for next year. Plus there is close alignment with most Super Street 10.5 rules from PRO and NSCA which also will be making a few stops through the Michigan area each year.

Overall, we have a lot more fun at going to the local stuff regularly and adding one or two larger races out of state next year. It's easier on us, it's a fun format and if everyone gets their stuff together there will be at least 4 LS1 based chassis cars running it next year. I know of at least two more that are or were in the works as of the last year. No idea if they are done yet though.

We're looking to have fun racing. The money isn't the issue. These cars are far beyond repayable even at a race with a 50k payout. That being said, hopefully we'll see some of you at a race next year. We don't have a full schedule yet, but we certainly know where we want to spend the first Friday of each month.

KISS principle...Keep it simple stupid...

Simple rules, easy to fit a car into the class, LOTS of fun.

Nobody wants to be saddled with complicated rules to fit in a certain class.

For example the index (headsup pro tree) racing up here is jammed all the time. OSCA has a great setup. (Ontario Street Car Association)

Old 10-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Every record on this board, unless documented in magazines, or through a panel, who keeps solid record of it, are ls1tech records. Now, once the cars go to these recognized events, it can be considered a legitimate record, agreed?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A few things to ponder..

Through LS1 techs member base, we pretty much can say with absolute certainty that we have exposure on every single race track in north america, AU and the middle east.. That pretty much covers the active areas...

We have regular members that live around the areas of race tracks as well as hard core racers that know whats going on in those areas.

For someone to say they have the fastest stock Z06 would be hard to believe.. when you go to the track, does anybody notice what the stock vettes are running?

However, when some dude brings out a car that's runnin 9's or better in a pretty modified setup.. people notice..

Even in the V6 world which is much smaller than the LS1 world, when people run #'s at the track that don't post on the net, those #'s find their way to the community.

Pretty hard to imagine with all the exposure that LS1 tech has through its member base that if some "dude" ran a # at some track in north america, Australia, or middle east, SOMEBODY wouldn't post about it..

Just because this forum only has 40K members doesn't mean in the grand scheme of things that it is a drop in the bucket.

f-body guys notice other f-body guys racing at the strip.. and are curious as to what their setup is and how they are doing with it.. When you go to the strip you ever look at other f-bodies and wonder? Well you are just 1 person out of the 40,000..

Its gonna be pretty hard for an average joe to run #'s that are amazing somewhere and not be found out..

The few times that the records are not found out is when street racers race run the #'s and go out of their way to hide the #'s.. (clocks off, rent out track, etc. etc.)..

History can back up both of the above examples.

And then you can take it even a step further.. and say what are the chances that an average "non net" dude would really run records? Look at how hard core we are already at ls1 tech. Do you really believe there is another level?? And if there is another level, do you really think that they fit within the limits of our records? Why would they when they don't care..

For example.. fastest stock suspended f-body.. Some dude out there who's gonna build his car up to go fast and doesn't even know about ls1 tech's "ladders" would not care if its stock suspended or not.. If he's already gonna go through all teh work to make the car that fast, why not tweak the suspension? What does he care?... bam, he's now nolonger stock suspended..

The point in that example is that if these people are non-net people, then they do not know nor do they care about the little limitations we do put on our so called "ladders".

Try to put yourself in the shoe's of someone who is not on the internet.. Already he's not very big into "tech".. so who's to say he's even EFI? Perhaps he just throws a carb on his car to call it a day? If he's not big into "tech" as he is not on the net, where does he get his information from to mod his car so extreme that it beats what we have done through the knowledge of the community.. What is his motivation/desire?

We (those of us in this very section) have found our ways here because we are hard core and want to exchange ideas with other hard core racers. Through the exchange of ideas we are able to further our own progress and those of other racers. We may post, e-mail, PM, phone... but together we're just a knowledge base full of good ideas on how to build really fast functional race cars. The average dude who is not "net savy" does not have access to this knowledge base unless it is through a third party.. in which that third party is our link to that person.. and if "that person" does run a record, we have a link through the third party which would probably bring that record to this forum.

Those off of the internet have different goals and approaches which can easily rule them out as contenders for the internet ladders.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnus

The point in that example is that if these people are non-net people, then they do not know nor do they care about the little limitations we do put on our so called "ladders".

Those off of the internet have different goals and approaches which can easily rule them out as contenders for the internet ladders.
What is the ladder? What are the limitations? What are the rules? Those are the things that need to be clearly defined on this internet board before the records could even be considered legitimate here.

Does the motor stop being an LS1 when you put a carb on it instead of EFI? Does it stop being an LS1 when you back-half the car? Does it stop being an LS1 if you don't use the OEM computer? Does it stop being an LS1 if you use a 6.0l block (LQ4, LQ9, C5R, whatever)?

By the time you get done breaking everything up into efi, non-efi, ls1 block, non-ls1 block, aftermarket computer, oem computer, and so on, you will have about 3000 different classes to chose from.

In one person's opinion an LS1 could be a stock 346ci aluminum block with LS1 aluminum heads, with an LS1 intake manifold. While others may believe that any motor that will accept an LS1 style head could be considered for an LS1 record and be considered an LS1.

Way too many variables, way too many variations, and way too many opinions to make anything truley "official" even on this site.

Last edited by bad2000ss; 10-27-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll cite a prime example. Stock Eliminator... You know what those guys run as it get posted on NHRA, etc... Do you see Al Corda on here?

You can't cover everything everywhere. Yes, Ls1tech may cover a large portion of it. But to assume you have the whole world covered and this is the be all and end all of all info, records, etc... is just simply not something I'd do. I think a reasonable person can recognize that.

Yes this is a great site. Yes there are a lot of fast guys here. All I'm saying is the whole world doesn't revolve around the internet. When I talk with folks about my accomplishments, I always preference them with "what has been posted on all the internet sites", or "fastest internet posted time" some sort of disclaimer.

If you don't think you can go test somewhere without someone finding out what you're doing, well lets say I would disagree with that, as we've done it lots of times. Do numbers sometimes leak out, sure. We all know they do.

I guess lets agree to disagree, and not turn it into a peeing match. Its not that I necessarily disagree with you, I think we're simply on two sides of the discussion, and I think you could find points to back up either side.